+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2016 timeline and updates

oliver3575

Aug 3, 2016
Hi Everyone!

I received my OWP August 02! Just wondering if anyone has traveled outside the country while awaiting for PR once they had their OWP? I am in Edmonton but from the USA and would like to go home and visit my family. I know they advise you not leave the country during the entire PR process being that you are at the mercy of whatever immigration office you encounter coming back into Canada and if they do not let you back in your application is voided. I have been in Canada on a different OWP for the past three years and have absolutely nothing that makes me inadmissible so I'm almost positive I wouldn't have an issue. Just interested to see if anyone else has done it and what their experience was like!

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
oliver3575 said:
Hi Everyone!

I received my OWP August 02! Just wondering if anyone has traveled outside the country while awaiting for PR once they had their OWP? I am in Edmonton but from the USA and would like to go home and visit my family. I know they advise you not leave the country during the entire PR process being that you are at the mercy of whatever immigration office you encounter coming back into Canada and if they do not let you back in your application is voided. I have been in Canada on a different OWP for the past three years and have absolutely nothing that makes me inadmissible so I'm almost positive I wouldn't have an issue. Just interested to see if anyone else has done it and what their experience was like!
It's all up to you. Your call.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experiences-traveling-outside-of-canada-during-inland-app-process-sick-family-t415350.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/leaving-canada-temporarily-during-inland-application-t411056.0.html;msg5139971#msg5139971

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
oliver3575 said:
Hi Everyone!

On a student visa rather than OWP, but have done it lots of times (vacation) already and don't feel it is risky. I think this warning is for people in a precarious visa situation, like if you were out of status and not from a visa-exempt country, in which case you are effectively stuck in Canada to wait it out. As long as you have valid documents I don't see a problem.

sipfarms

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississagua
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02- 2016
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016 Police Cert.
AOR Received.
16-04-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016 to Vancouver
Med's Done....
Upfront with previous work permit, expired but passed 30-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
oliver3575 said:
Hi Everyone!

Left to go home to Australia BEFORE OWP was approved against all recommendations. No problem at all returning. Just couldn't work until OWP approval came through. Your call.

Alam EIT

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Ringlands said:
Hi I'm in exactly the same position apart from my husband is a canadian citizen, got here on 8th march so my visitor status expires 8th september. we send in PR and OWP application and so far only got AOR 1 and 2. i havent applied to extend my visitor visa as i am on impied status, i was worried about this too but ive done hours of research and im definitly sure i have implied status so you're safe!

By the way if yu're reading this Alam now you have your OWP was there any updates on you my CIC or ECAS?
Hi Ringlands,
No update in ECAS or MyCIC. Still saying that Background check in progress and status is Open.
ECAS saying application received. Look like they didn't include me in the 34k applicants. :(

CanadianAlien

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016/AOR 2 29-06-2016
Alam EIT said:
Hi Ringlands,
No update in ECAS or MyCIC. Still saying that Background check in progress and status is Open.
ECAS saying application received. Look like they didn't include me in the 34k applicants. :(
Don't get disheartened, they can't or rather won't do anything until you clear the background check. Pointless racing you through the other stages (which are all internal and can be done in hours rather than days, note others that got SA, AIP and DM in the space of a couple of weeks) to then sit for weeks/months for the countries concerned to respond and clear your background.

I may be reading between the lines, but I think the security check is the key, pass that and everything else falls in place, when your background check is finished, at that point you will know..

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
Interesting article that I've found online, regarding the fast processing cases:

"The Liberal government is taking steps to reduce the frustrating backlog for Canadians trying to sponsor their foreign-born spouses. (DREAMSTIME)

Ottawa has said “I do” to slashing the lengthy backlog for Canadians trying to sponsor their foreign-born spouses.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will expand its annual quota of admissions for foreign spouses married to Canadians by 25 per cent to 62,000 in 2016 in response to complaints of a frustrating backlog and long processing time.

The department also announced this month it would prioritize the so-called “straightforward” cases involving foreign spouses and applicants who are already in Canada that were received before June 13.

It’s welcome news for applicants who now must wait 26 months if they apply from within Canada while overseas applicants face processing times anywhere from a year to 26 months in countries such as Pakistan.

According to the immigration department, as of June 1, the in-Canada spousal sponsorship backlog was estimated to be around 34,000 people, while the overseas backlog was about 48,500."

Firefly18

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
13-09-2016
Hello Everyone. I am in a dilemma and would like some suggestions.

I want to know whether to apply for Inland spousal sponsorship or Express Entry. My husband is on a study permit which is expiring in March 2017. He lives in Toronto at the moment and I live in Edmonton. I am a Canadian citizen and we got married recently. I want to know whether we should apply for my husband's Post graduate work permit or Spousal Open Work Permit. Currently we do not live together as his studies will not finish until December. However, he is going to move to Edmonton in January and we are going to live together. I would like to know what program should we file under and what work permits should we apply for?

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
maria_mirabela said:
Interesting article that I've found online, regarding the fast processing cases:

"The Liberal government is taking steps to reduce the frustrating backlog for Canadians trying to sponsor their foreign-born spouses. (DREAMSTIME)

Ottawa has said “I do” to slashing the lengthy backlog for Canadians trying to sponsor their foreign-born spouses.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will expand its annual quota of admissions for foreign spouses married to Canadians by 25 per cent to 62,000 in 2016 in response to complaints of a frustrating backlog and long processing time.

The department also announced this month it would prioritize the so-called “straightforward” cases involving foreign spouses and applicants who are already in Canada that were received before June 13.

It’s welcome news for applicants who now must wait 26 months if they apply from within Canada while overseas applicants face processing times anywhere from a year to 26 months in countries such as Pakistan.

According to the immigration department, as of June 1, the in-Canada spousal sponsorship backlog was estimated to be around 34,000 people, while the overseas backlog was about 48,500."
It's been on the news since last june 2016.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/06/18/ottawa-cutting-spousal-sponsorship-backlog.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2016-06-13.asp

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
Hi guys,

I would really use your advice in the following matter:

I send my app for PR together with an OWP app to Mississauga office on July 13, got my AOR on August 5th. I was on a tourist visa that expired June 19th, so at that time when my app was filed I have been out of status for about 20 days. After receiving the AOR in my husband's e-mail (meaning there were no documents or signatures missing) I send a letter today via CSI asking for my OWP to be processed AFTER I would receive AIP for my PR, because else I would be denied for "out of status". I've been explaining in my letter that I am fully aware of my situation and it was my choice to do so, because the PR app is my top priority, not my OWP and in order to have a complete and correct file I had to wait for my marriage certificate to be issued first. I also stated that I was writing in good faith and I wanted to provide CIC all the info they would need to make the right decisions in my case.

*sidenote* I know I am eligible to apply for restoration of status but I truly believe they will reject my request because I no longer meet the criteria for a tourist visa. I had to quit my job in my home country and spend almost all of my savings to relocate here so there's a high chance they will deny me restoration.

I tried to link the app to myCIC today and it worked, but except for my PR app the system found another one that has been linked to my account with a number starting with W followed by 9 digits, app type: online app, status: open. Do you have any idea if this is the case inquiry that had been linked to my account?

Any advice on the course of my actions? I used no lawyer for my apps and I really have no one to consult with. I believe my app is pretty clear as my husband and I we are about the same age, religion, we share a similar background as he had been living in Europe for the past 9 years and we submitted tons of paper as proof of relationship.

Sorry for writing so much but as I said I don't know where else to search for advice and I am really doubting myself here, even though I am normally a very rational person with a clear mind...

MM

AK16

Jan 20, 2016
Hi friends
I got an email saying:
"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements. "

Is this AIP? Do I need to respond anything? The subject says: Inland APR Eligibility decision
And what would be the next steps?
Thanks for the help!

sheisoptimistic

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga to Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
29-APR-2016 / AIP 14-JUL-2016
File Transfer...
05-JUL-2016
Med's Request
14-JUL-2016
Med's Done....
27-JUL-2016
Interview........
Etobicoke
Passport Req..
17-JUN-2016
AK16 said:
Hi friends
I got an email saying:
"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements. "

Is this AIP? Do I need to respond anything? The subject says: Inland APR Eligibility decision
And what would be the next steps?
Thanks for the help!

congrats! That's your AIP , no need to respond.
They will continue with the process. Have you not stated previously that you received second aip June 13th?
is this the same letter just sent to you twice?

AK16

Jan 20, 2016
sheisoptimistic said:
congrats! That's your AIP , no need to respond.
They will continue with the process. Have you not stated previously that you received second aip June 13th?
is this the same letter just sent to you twice?
Thanks
No, its the first time I got AIP. Are there 2 AIPs?
And what are the next steps after this?