+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship application returned

dirilis

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,

I had filed my application for my wife's sponsorship in February this year and yesterday it was returned. The returned application had a generic letter mentioning that something was missing in the package that's why it was returned and directed us to take a look at the Document Checklist to figure out what was it. They didn't mention specifically what's missing.

I saw that in the Document Checklist, the country specific forms box was highlighted with blue color so that means something is missing with those forms. I double checked my submitted forms against the list of country specific forms mentioned on the website and I don't see what's missing. I wonder why they didn't bother specifying exactly what was missing after holding on the application for two months, but anyways.

I need your help to figure I may have missed. My wife's living in Pakistan and doesn't have any legal status there but is an Afghan national. So on the CIC website, I selected the first country as Pakistan (because it asks where she resides) and the second country as Afghanistan and here's the list of forms that I got:

Pakistan - Additional forms for residents
  • Supplementary Information – Your travels [IMM 5562] May 2004
    The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 years of age or older must complete this form.
  • Authorization to Disclose Information [IMM 5536] December 2016
    This form is completed for all persons included in the application that are Pakistani nationals and above 18 years old.
  • Details of Military Service [IMM 5546] December 2016
    Complete this form for anyone included on the application who has ever held a high ranking/senior official government position or served in the military, army, defence or police unit, (including National Service), and submit a copy of the military card/booklet, including blank pages, if applicable.
So I supplied both the first and last form, but didn't provide the IMM 5536 because it says it is only for Pakistani nationals and my wife isn't one, therefore to me it seemed like it IS NOT needed. So I'm wondering if I should just submit my application again with this form (IMM 5536)? Or could it be something else?

But then again, now I'm wondering, there shouldn't have been any reason for me to fill and submit IMM 5546 as well, because it says only for those that have held a military/government position.

For Afghanistan, there are no other forms requested, only documents like marriage certificates and ID cards and passport documents etc, I had provided all those as well.

Afghanistan – Instruction(s) for documents

• For applicants under the spousal category: If you were married according to the rites, customs, and/or traditions of this country, please submit printed photos of the principal applicant and the sponsor with relatives and friends. Photos submitted should include photos of the wedding ceremony (signing of the contract or Nikkah) and customary celebrations held afterwards (the wedding reception or the Rukhsati). Photos should also include pictures taken of the principal applicant and the sponsor together on other occasions, either before and/or after the wedding.
  • For civil documents issued for Afghanistan:
    • Marriage certificate(s): The document to be submitted is the “Waseeqa Nikkah ”.
    • Divorce certificate(s): The document to submit is the “Decree Absolute”.
  • If you hold an Afghan passport, you and each of your family members included in the application must provide:
    • a copy of the National Identity Card (Tazkira).
    • If 18 years of age or older, copies of any old expired passports
  • The principal applicant and any family members included in the application who are 18 years old and older and who are Afghan nationals, must provide copies of any old expired passports.
I'm really confused what to do and how to figure out what was wrong with my application, would appreciate any help. Should I bother lawyer-ing up and have him file the application for us? It would be very annoying to send it again, wait 2 more months only to have it rejected again.

Please help me out. Thanks.

(As a side note, can anyone recommend any good lawyers/consultants that might help at least reviewing our application before we submit it again in the GTA/Toronto area?)

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I had filed my application for my wife's sponsorship in February this year and yesterday it was returned. The returned application had a generic letter mentioning that something was missing in the package that's why it was returned and directed us to take a look at the Document Checklist to figure out what was it. They didn't mention specifically what's missing.

I saw that in the Document Checklist, the country specific forms box was highlighted with blue color so that means something is missing with those forms. I double checked my submitted forms against the list of country specific forms mentioned on the website and I don't see what's missing. I wonder why they didn't bother specifying exactly what was missing after holding on the application for two months, but anyways.

I need your help to figure I may have missed. My wife's living in Pakistan and doesn't have any legal status there but is an Afghan national. So on the CIC website, I selected the first country as Pakistan (because it asks where she resides) and the second country as Afghanistan and here's the list of forms that I got:

• Supplementary Information – Your travels [IMM 5562] May 2004
    The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 years of age or older must complete this form.
  • Authorization to Disclose Information [IMM 5536] December 2016
    This form is completed for all persons included in the application that are Pakistani nationals and above 18 years old.
    Complete this form for anyone included on the application who has ever held a high ranking/senior official government position or served in the military, army, defence or police unit, (including National Service), and submit a copy of the military card/booklet, including blank pages, if applicable.
So I supplied both the first and last form, but didn't provide the IMM 5536 because it says it is only for Pakistani nationals and my wife isn't one, therefore to me it seemed like it IS NOT needed. So I'm wondering if I should just submit my application again with this form (IMM 5536)? Or could it be something else?

But then again, now I'm wondering, there shouldn't have been any reason for me to fill and submit IMM 5546 as well, because it says only for those that have held a military/government position.

For Afghanistan, there are no other forms requested, only documents like marriage certificates and ID cards and passport documents etc, I had provided all those as well.

• For applicants under the spousal category: If you were married according to the rites, customs, and/or traditions of this country, please submit printed photos of the principal applicant and the sponsor with relatives and friends. Photos submitted should include photos of the wedding ceremony (signing of the contract or Nikkah) and customary celebrations held afterwards (the wedding reception or the Rukhsati). Photos should also include pictures taken of the principal applicant and the sponsor together on other occasions, either before and/or after the wedding.
  • For civil documents issued for Afghanistan:
    • Marriage certificate(s): The document to be submitted is the “Waseeqa Nikkah ”.
    • Divorce certificate(s): The document to submit is the “Decree Absolute”.
  • If you hold an Afghan passport, you and each of your family members included in the application must provide:
    • a copy of the National Identity Card (Tazkira).
    • If 18 years of age or older, copies of any old expired passports
  • The principal applicant and any family members included in the application who are 18 years old and older and who are Afghan nationals, must provide copies of any old expired passports.
I'm really confused what to do and how to figure out what was wrong with my application, would appreciate any help. Should I bother lawyer-ing up and have him file the application for us? It would be very annoying to send it again, wait 2 more months only to have it rejected again.

Please help me out. Thanks.

(As a side note, can anyone recommend any good lawyers/consultants that might help at least reviewing our application before we submit it again in the GTA/Toronto area?)
Review your spousal sponsorship application package with the current 2018 checklist......make sure you provide the documents required according to the Sponsorship Checklist...Feb 2018 version.
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5533e.pdf

Sponsor your spouse Complete Guide (IMM 5289):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Country specific requirements:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Its mandatory to provide documents in the Country Specific Requirements.....please see details in IRCC website.

------ You must provide a copy IMM5562 for the Principal Applicant and any dependant child(ren) who are 18 years of age or older.
------ Your spouse does not need to provide IMM5536, if your spouse is not a Pakistan citizen by birth, marriage, naturalization, adoption, descent, etc.
------ Any dependant child(ren) included in the application that are Pakistani citizens who are 18 years of age or older must complete IMM5536 form.
------ Include a NOTE in your application package to clarify why your spouse or any dependant child(ren) included in the application who are 18 years of age or older will not complete IMM5536.
------ Your spouse does not need to provide IMM5546, if your spouse has never served in the military, army, defence or police unit, (including National Service).
------ Any dependant child(ren) included in the application must compete IMM5546 if they have served in the military, army, defence or police unit, (including National Service)
------ Include a NOTE in your application package to clarify why your spouse or any dependant child(ren) included in the application will not complete IMM5546.

YOU MUST PROVIDE THE DOCUMENT ACCORDING TO THE Pakistan – Instruction(s) for documents.....to avoid delays and refusal.

Pakistan – Instruction(s) for documents
  • Identity and civil status documents issued by Pakistan: Documents must bear the name of the applicant, and be endorsed by the government authority responsible for issuance in the district in which the event took place.

YOU MUST PROVIDE THE DOCUMENT ACCORDING TO THE Afghanistan – Instruction(s) for documents.....to avoid delays and refusal.

Its important that you review the spousal sponsorship checklist, and provide all required documents.

Wish You and Your Family Good Luck.

dirilis

Apr 6, 2018
Thank you for your detailed post, really appreciate it.

I got to call the CIC call centre and the agent told me the exact same things.