+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship after separation

fuz_dnz

Sep 3, 2016
Hello all.

I immigrated to Canada through the express entry program about 2 years ago. At the time I entered with my accompanying common law partner. We are now separated and I have a new partner who I will marry. Once married, is it possible for me to sponsor my spouse to come into Canada as a PR?
I am not sure if I am financially responsible for my ex for a 3 year period since I didn’t sign any financial undertaking when applying through express entry with my ex. I understand that I wouldn’t be eligible to sponsor a new spouse if I had already sponsored someone less than 3 years ago and am still financially responsible for them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you came through Express Entry, there is no undertaking, and no period that you have to wait. You can sponsor your current partner if you meet all the usual spousal sponsorship requirements.

Reactions: fuz_dnz

fuz_dnz

Sep 3, 2016
If you came through Express Entry, there is no undertaking, and no period that you have to wait. You can sponsor your current partner if you meet all the usual spousal sponsorship requirements.
Great news! I appreciate the quick reply. Thanks!