+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring under FAMILY CLASS for OTHER RELATIVE living in Philippines

IAMASPONSOR

Feb 1, 2014
Timeline:
May, 2013 - sent my sponsorship application together with relative's PR application to CIC-Mississuaga (yes, they required both applications to be sent, based on the guidelines found in CIC website)
Jul, 2013 - applications returned together with a letter asking for more documents
Aug, 2013 - re-sent applications to CIC-Mississuaga with the extra documents requested. Checked later the CIC website status - For me : "Sponsorship Application received". For sponsored relative - "PR Application received"
Oct, 2013 - received e-mail from Officer advising my eligibility to sponsor my relative. It also indicated that PR application of relative has been forwarded to Canada embassy in Manila.
Sep, 2013 - CIC website application status changed. For me - "Decision made, refer to letter sent". For PR applicant, still - "PR application received"

It's February, 2014 now but my relative in Manila hasn't received any notice from Canada Embassy in Manila that they have already in their possession my relative's PR application, or any indication they will process the PR application. It would help clear the anxiety about PR application being lost if Manila Office had sent a notice. The website status for my sponsored relative, I think, is CIC-Mississauga's receipt.... it's the status since they received my sponsorship and relative's PR applications.

Will Manila Office just pop up one day to ask documents from my relative? Is this how they work on applications now?

Please share your experience if you have something similar to my situation. Thanks!

CarrieAntonio

Sep 18, 2013
I sponsored my brother under the same family class category as well and here's the timeline:

-> April 2013 - submitted my application to sponsor and my brother's application as principal
-> after a month - received approval to sponsor from CIC Canada
-> mid Sept. 2013 - received a letter stating additional requirements (including passport submission and medical exam instructions)
-> mid Oct,. 2013 - submitted additional documents and medical exam undergone.
-> 3rd wk. Nov. 2013 - Abu Dhabi police clearance was required from my brother. I was kinda anticipating this although my brother didn't
stay for 6 consecutive months in the country, it is still the visa officer's prerogative to require if they deem it necessary. It takes time
to get all the requirements to obtain the PC and so I told my brother to work on it while we wait for any feedback from CEM after we have
submitted all required documents.
-> 1st wk, Jan 2014 - submitted a letter of explanation and all document as proof that we have tried the best we could to obtain the PC,
however, UAE Police headquarters do not issue PC to individuals who entered the country on visit visa.
Since then, we are praying more than anything for the VISAAAA to be released :)

My Tips:
- Complete all required documents before submitting and organize them. When you submit them or your sponsored relative, sort them out in the order they were written in the letter sent to you by CEM. In my case, there was a personal history form attached in the letter but it was not on the list of documents required. If the person your are
sponsoring has dependents, all dependents 18 yrs and older should fill out this form. I asked them to start at age 18 and do not leave a gap. Be clear
but not too specific.
- As a sponsor, you will be required to:
* submit a marriage search certificate issued by vital stats Canada. This made my heart palpitate because I only have 45 days to produce this
and if was indicated in the website that it takes 4 - 6 wks. for processing and it can't be expedited. I went to ServiceOntario centre at: 47 Sheppard
Avenue East, unit 417, 4th Floor Toronto, ON M2N 5N1 to get it and it came in the mail after a week. Yey..so happy!
* submit a signed affidavit that you are indeed single and living all by yourself (pathetic I know eh!)
* 3-generation family tree. Put the address of each person.

Okay, I hope this helps. God bless you...and I hope you hear from CEM soon! Cheers :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Well it looks like a good sign in the sense that they have stated to work on your application. Looks like they are still trying to validate that you are eligible to be sponsored by checking the status of your Aunt's immediate family (if her parents are deceased, if she has any dependents elsewhere, etc). I think it is still a bit premature to say it is in the final processing steps however.

Nica_2012

Nov 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

I just wonder what's up with your applications now. I am sponsoring my brother from the Philippines too. Got an email from CIC last October 20 confirming my approval as sponsor and that the application of my brother for permanent residency was already forwarded to CEM. I wish to hear some good news from you regarding your sponsorship.

It is just so hard to be alone here in Canada, and I can't wait to be reunited with my brother.

Hope to see your updates here. Thank you.

Nica_2012

Nov 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello RowJulian,

Thank you for your update and please keep your updates here.

Here is my timeline:
- mailed sponsorship application to CIC Mississauga - July 24, 2014 (received July 28, 2014)
- received mail from CIC requesting for family information sheet - September 22, 2014 (mailed back to CIC on September 27, 2014 ; received
on September 30, 2014)
- received email from CIC confirming sponsorship approval (decision made on my application status), and that the file of my brother has been
forwarded to CEM.

To fellow forumers who are in the same situation and to those senior members who have any idea on CEM processing average actual timeline, appreciate your inputs here.

Thank you so much.

Nica_2012

Nov 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

Anyone on same situation can share their timelines please.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Nica

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Hi guys,

Application has been delivered to the Mississauga office last December 15th 2014.
Our Application falls under Other Family Class. My aunt has nobody available to sponsor but me.
(She has no relatives here in the Philippines and in canada to sponsor but me, parents are dead and shes single)

When I checked on the CIC website it says "Adopted children, children to be adopted, orphans and other family classes"
is processed daily on a priority basis

Here's the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

At first I didnt bother to check thinking that it really takes months to get SA letter
It has been 2 months and we havent heard anything yet.

Should I be worried? Kindly advise guys....

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

spidermark said:
Hi guys,

Application has been delivered to the Mississauga office last December 15th 2014.
Our Application falls under Other Family Class. My aunt has nobody available to sponsor but me.
(She has no relatives here in the Philippines and in canada to sponsor but me, parents are dead and shes single)

When I checked on the CIC website it says "Adopted children, children to be adopted, orphans and other family classes"
is processed daily on a priority basis

At first I didnt bother to check thinking that it really takes months to get SA letter
It has been 2 months and we havent heard anything yet.

Should I be worried? Kindly advise guys....

Thanks
1. It depends, she has no spouse/no children. You say that she has no relatives in Canada that she can sponsor. If she has an Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/Brother/Sister living in Canada, then she is not eligible.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. It depends, she has no spouse/no children. You say that she has no relatives in Canada that she can sponsor. If she has an Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/Brother/Sister living in Canada, then she is not eligible.
No she doesnt have any relatives living in canada. Just some friends
How long does it take for us to receive acknowledgement letter?
Its been over 2 months. It will be 3 months this coming March 15.
She already checked her spam folder in her email but no email yet....

The CIC website says processing time for this category is on a daily basis/priority.
Is that true?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

spidermark said:
No she doesnt have any relatives living in canada. Just some friends
How long does it take for us to receive acknowledgement letter?
Its been over 2 months. It will be 3 months this coming March 15.
She already checked her spam folder in her email but no email yet....

The CIC website says processing time for this category is on a daily basis/priority.
Is that true?

Thanks
1. No, she is probably looking at 84 days plus mailing the same as spouses. No use getting anxious, the overseas processing will be at least 2 years.

yukonjames

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Visa Office......
canada/manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
File Transfer...
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
Passport Req..
09-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
next few weeks
I thought you could only sponsor parents or grandparents, I thought you couldn't sponsor brother or sisters

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
yukonjames said:
I thought you could only sponsor parents or grandparents, I thought you couldn't sponsor brother or sisters
googled this below:

There are a number of special exceptions and provisions in Canadian sponsorship law that could help that you should be aware of. A popular and useful exception is the “lonely Canadian immigrant” exception.

If you are a Canadian Landed Immigrant or Citizen who is living in Canada who has no other relative in Canada, and no other relative living in the home country or elsewhere who is eligible to be sponsored, you can sponsor a family member who is normally not eligible.

One Question

May 13, 2015
Hello,

do you send all supporting documents (police clearance, birth certificate, photos ....) at the same time when submitting the sponsorship application to CIC-Mississuaga OR you wait until you receive positive decision regarding sponsor eligibility?

Thanks

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
You send them all together in one envelope to Mississauga.