+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my Austrian wife... need help

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
Hello everybody, me and my Austrian wife are currently going through the process of getting our sponsorship application together and we have a few questions that we would appreciate any help with.

I'll give you some background to our situation:

- I am a Canadian citizen living in Austria with my wife (married and living together in Austria since September 2009)
- I have accepted a job in Vancouver that starts in October of this year. My wife will follow when (hopefully) the application is approved.
- She is a nurse and we are also going through the process so she can practice in BC (where we will be going)

Questions:

1. I have been working as a English Teacher here since January. My income is relatively low. I have no income in 2009 to show for (I was travelling and living in Austria with my wife). However, my job (I start in October) will pay me 55, 000 annually. Everything they ask for concerns past earnings. If I attach an extra sheet explaining the situation, will that be enough to show that I am financially stable enough to support her. I also have some RRSP's and she has over 10 000 euros in the bank. Should we supply that information as well?

2. We will be going through the vienna offices. Does anyone know how they typically are with these things?

3. Does she have to take an English test (her English is very good)

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You will not be refused to sponsor a spouse due to income.

2. Average 6 months in Vieanna plus a month or two in Mississauga at the beginning to approve you as a sponsor.

3. No, an English test is not required.

You can start the application now to get a head start and she doesn't have to wait until the application is approved. She is visa exempt so she can come with you as a visitor and wait with you in Canada until her application has been approved.

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

If she comes before the application is approved, how long does she have before she will have to go back home (If for any reason approving the application is delayed). Is there something else we can do so she can work while in Canada and waiting for the visa approval? (I know likely not, but just thought i'd ask)

Thanks

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
One more thing, i've been reading that some people send in letters from family and friends to let the authorities know they are legit. Is this necessary? Do people do this because of special circumstances or is it something extra that helps?

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Big_Canuck said:
One more thing, i've been reading that some people send in letters from family and friends to let the authorities know they are legit. Is this necessary? Do people do this because of special circumstances or is it something extra that helps?
If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, you need two notarized letters from family or friends. If you are married, you don't need any notarized letters of support, but people often use letters of support just as extra proof. The letters can be affidavits, letters, or even emails. If you think you don't have enough evidence your relationship is genuine, they are good things to add.

You don't need an income or a job to sponsor a spouse, but they don't hurt. So I would include proof of your new job, the RRSPs, and your wife's bank account. The visa officer does want to see how you will support yourselves when in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you start your application now while you are still living outside Canada, you would have to add some plans to move to Canada when your wife gets her PR. Since you already have a job offer, that should be enough.

You generally have to prove that your relationship is genuine, send some data on how you met and how you've lived together.

If she comes with you before her application is approved, she can stay as a visitor for up to 6 months. If there is no approval after 5, she can apply for a visit visa extension.

There is nothing much you can do to get her able to work faster except trying to apply for a temporary work permit. Getting a temporary work permit while you are going for permanent residency is tricky because for a temporary permit, you usually have to prove that you will be leaving again but they do have the concept of dual intent where they might accept that she will leave again if the sponsorship doesn't work out. To get a temporary work permit, she would need a job, they apply for a labour market opinion (to prove that they can't get Canadians) and she can use the labour market opinion to apply for a work permit. The fastest way to get a work permit once you have the LMO is to bring your $150 and flagpole at the border. You can look at http://www.healthmatchbc.org/ to see if you can hook her up with an employer.

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply's they are a lot of help.

One more question though (and it may be a stupid one).

Assuming the sponsorship works and my wife is approved. What do we have to do for her to get a work permit? I guess we just assumed she would be allowed to work if she is allowed to be a resident.

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once the sponsorship is through and she gets her permanent residency, she will not need a work permit. She will only need a work permit if she wants to work before she is approved.