+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring family members living outside of Canada -- some concerns I have :(

maplefamily

Jan 2, 2017
Hi, everyone. I am a permanent resident living in Canada, wanting to sponsor my husband and child who are USA citizen to start our life in Canada. I recently moved back to BC to get the process started while my husband still lives and work in Hawaii. ( I brought my son with me.) We thought we should go with the option of sponsoring family members living outside of Canada which is said to be much faster, compared with sponsoring family members living in Canada. (A lady at CIC I spoke said on the phone my child can be here with me and he can be included in the same application for family members living outside as a dependent.)

Here are some of my concerns and I'd appreciate if any one of you could answer my specific questions below or give me some advice:

Q1. It is my understanding that my husband will be able to visit us in Canada after we send our application for family members living outside Canada. Both he and my child are American citizen so they can stay here for 6 mo. consecutive period -- Is that correct??

Q2. Even if my above assumption (Q1) is correct, my husband cannot apply for Open Work Permit as long as we apply under family members living outside Canada category. Is that correct? If he gets a job offer here in Canada, however, he could receive a work visa pretty fast because of NAFTA agreement (Canada-USA-Mexico) while he waits for his PR. -- Is it correct?

Q3. We will be living in British Columbia and according to the BC Web site (www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status), the province has a policy to grant applicants for PR their healthcare coverage (MSP). I know they have to evaluate our immigration papers before they make such a decision, but I want to make sure they don't exclude the PR applicants for family members living outside of Canada from the policy. Does anyone has any info./ previous experiences on this??

Q4. If the answer to Q3 is no (= BC won't grand healthcare for PR applicants under family members living outside BC), does any of you have recommendation on private insurance plan for a family? I will be getting a job soon and am covered by MSP for myself, but I understand all companies in BC only provide extended insurance for an employee's family (and not basic coverage like MSP does) if they offer such a benefit.

Q5. Finally if you happen to think applying for cosponsoring the family members living inside Canada makes more sense, given our situation and my concerns, please let me know so!

Thank you so much in advance. A Happy New Year!!!

Es.

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Hi Maplefamily!

First off, you can be living in Canada and apply outland. If your husband and child are able to visit Canada, when they cross the border, see about getting a Visitor Record--this is given to US citizens that will be in Canada for an extended period of time. You can state that they are planning to visit while their application is being processed. Then you could also apply for the OWP via spousal sponsorship which would be granted within 4 months time.

CIC just started a new application in which they hope to have most applications processed within 12 month--for both In-Canada class and Family(outland) Class. So wait times should be the same. Although lately, applications for US citizens outland seem to be completed in under 6 months--not sure if that will change now with the new application process.

I'm not sure if if MSP is available to people not living in Canada since it talks about time away from Canada affecting wait times. I do know, once you get a work permit, you can apply for MSP---I think it also stated if living here for 6 months and married.

Regarding NAFTA--it would have to be a NAFTA approved field. I'm assuming wait times wouldn't be any different than with other work permits listed on their website.

When you apply to sponsor your husband you list dependents on the same application, so no need to sponsor the child separately.

I'm sure others will have more input...

maplefamily

Jan 2, 2017
Hi Simpsol 22!

Thank you so much for your reply and answers! So great to know my husband can be living in Canada and apply outland. This will give an option for him to be with us in Canada yet allow him to go back to US to see his parents as he needs to. (I just read in this forum that an inland applicant can't travel outside Canada when his/her application is in process... whereas ontland applicant can.)

Simpsol, please let me confirm a couple of points as they are super important for us:
- So my husband can come to live with us tomorrow if he wants to, I can apply to sponsor him and my child as outland family members, AND my husband can also apply for OWP? And once he gets OWP, he can also apply for MSP? --- Both as we wait for our outland applications to be processed while living in Canada?? (Sounds great if he can!)

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
maplefamily said:
Hi Simpsol 22!

Thank you so much for your reply and answers! So great to know my husband can be living in Canada and apply outland. This will give an option for him to be with us in Canada yet allow him to go back to US to see his parents as he needs to. (I just read in this forum that an inland applicant can't travel outside Canada when his/her application is in process... whereas ontland applicant can.)

Simpsol, please let me confirm a couple of points as they are super important for us:
- So my husband can come to live with us tomorrow if he wants to, I can apply to sponsor him and my child as outland family members, AND my husband can also apply for OWP? And once he gets OWP, he can also apply for MSP? --- Both as we wait for our outland applications to be processed while living in Canada?? (Sounds great if he can!)
First--it's all up to the border guard, if they let him in or not--i've been told to advise members to say he wants to visit you while the application is being processed. I told them I was moving here and loaded my Uhaul full of stuff---but i guess i was just lucky.

If you apply as Outland class--you cannot apply for the OWP. The OWP is only for Inland Applicants only--those living in Canada and applying as Inland. But yes, with OWP you can get MSP. But he can be living in Canada for either class.

Here are your 3 Options:
Live in Canada - Apply Inland and apply for OWP (need the valid status--visitor record--can request when crossing into Canada)
Live in Canada - Apply Outland
Live Outside Canada - Apply Outland

There is risk for any applicant to travel while a PR app is processing. Being that he is American, it makes it easier. If you get the Visitor Record, you should be fine...and even better when you have the OWP (if applying Inland). If at any point they turn him away at the border (doesn't happen very often), that is when the issues arise--because applying inland they consider your application abandoned---since you are supposed to be living in Canada while an inland application is being processed--vacations are fine if you have the right documents to return. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Yes. Apparently I am...although I've known a few people that have done it just fine. But reading on here...it's not always recommended.
Best of luck to you!
-Leah