+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a dependent infant after becoming PR

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
Hello all,

My wife and I are Indian citizens and became Canadian PR in November 2022 (soft landing). We are planning to make our permanent move in July 2024. Our daughter was born last year and hence not a part of our PR application. Reading some earlier threads here helped me to apply for her TRV which we were granted in 4 months. I was preparing the forms and documents that would be needed for her PR application once I land there and had some queries on the same.
  1. Just out of curiosity, now that the application is online, how do they verify that I am applying from inside Canada and not from India?
  2. Can someone who has done this confirm if the forms needed for this application are: 1344, 1283, 5481 (and the standard ones 0008, 5406, 5562 and 5669)
  3. Do I need a Canadian address as a mailing address before I submit this application? I am asking since initially my residence would be temporary and it might take some time to finalise an apartment. I want to submit this application as soon as I land.
  4. Should I get my wife to cosign the application? Does she also have to be there in Canada before I submit?
  5. In the Sponsorship evaluation form (to be filled by me, the sponsor), where should I include my daughter’s name? Will it be under 6B?
  6. Do I wait till my daughter has entered CA (on her TRV) and then start PR application or it does not matter? Asking this since the IMM 0008 asks her country of residence. Do I input that as Canada in case she has moved here on TRV; or it will still be India since technically she will be a resident of India?
  7. What should be the UCI number for the child; can I use the same number which I used for her TRV?
  8. If I am travelling first and my daughter will come later with my wife, do we need to submit the form imm5604e? Or that is just for children moving without the other parent moving?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
2. Use the checklist.
3. Very little (nothing I should think) is done by post prior to sending the PR card. You'll have time to update the address before then. Just use a temporary or friend's address to start.
4. Only one parent has to be in Canada. It should be clear however that spouse is residing in Canada or with the child, or the question of custody will come up.
6. You can apply while she is still abroad. If you do, you should make clear that your spouse will travel with her to Canada (see above about custody).
7. Yes, UCI is 'universal.' Should stay the same.
8. See 4& 6 above.

Reactions: viraj.manek1

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

My wife and I are Indian citizens and became Canadian PR in November 2022 (soft landing). We are planning to make our permanent move in July 2024. Our daughter was born last year and hence not a part of our PR application. Reading some earlier threads here helped me to apply for her TRV which we were granted in 4 months. I was preparing the forms and documents that would be needed for her PR application once I land there and had some queries on the same.
  1. Just out of curiosity, now that the application is online, how do they verify that I am applying from inside Canada and not from India?
  2. Can someone who has done this confirm if the forms needed for this application are: 1344, 1283, 5481 (and the standard ones 0008, 5406, 5562 and 5669)
  3. Do I need a Canadian address as a mailing address before I submit this application? I am asking since initially my residence would be temporary and it might take some time to finalise an apartment. I want to submit this application as soon as I land.
  4. Should I get my wife to cosign the application? Does she also have to be there in Canada before I submit?
  5. In the Sponsorship evaluation form (to be filled by me, the sponsor), where should I include my daughter’s name? Will it be under 6B?
  6. Do I wait till my daughter has entered CA (on her TRV) and then start PR application or it does not matter? Asking this since the IMM 0008 asks her country of residence. Do I input that as Canada in case she has moved here on TRV; or it will still be India since technically she will be a resident of India?
  7. What should be the UCI number for the child; can I use the same number which I used for her TRV?
  8. If I am travelling first and my daughter will come later with my wife, do we need to submit the form imm5604e? Or that is just for children moving without the other parent moving?
1. They had access to flight manifests and flight / travel records. It's very strongly recommend not to misrepresent any information in the application.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello all,

# 1
it’s 2023 of course they can tell

I’m from Ontario. I was in Alberta last week. I couldn’t buy a Ontario lottery ticket online while I was in Alberta

Why ? Because the system knew I wasn’t physically in Ontario

Why do people constantly try to game or not go by the rules ?

Be better

Reactions: viraj.manek1

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
it’s 2023 of course they can tell

I’m from Ontario. I was in Alberta last week. I couldn’t buy a Ontario lottery ticket online while I was in Alberta

Why ? Because the system knew I wasn’t physically in Ontario
I have a friend on the IT side in an industry with very strict rules about this (i.e. they get in serious trouble if selling things out of province). The capability on this is quite advanced (honestly I keep meaning to ask how it's done, but I don't personally much care, just curious). VPNs? They laugh at stuff like that, at least at the level even an advanced consumer has.

Now, exactly how advanced the govt is, I have no idea. But there are companies that sell these services and they love to sell this stuff to government.

And this is without even considering the simple 'they can check the entry/exit records, they own that info' issue.

That said: I don't blame anyone for asking. I do some stuff 'abroad' from my laptop because no other choice, and in that context, the party at the other end clearly doesn't want to know or care. (Mind it's not a legal issue for them, it's some braindead policy)

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
Hey guys, I know how it came across but I am not trying to flout rules. Earlier this process was paper-based and now it is online; so as I mentioned I was curious why this application cannot be done remotely. In fact after reading @armoured's response (thanks a ton!!) I am going to wait an extra month until my wife and kid are in Canada before making my application.

Thanks a lot people, this was very helpful!

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys, I know how it came across but I am not trying to flout rules. Earlier this process was paper-based and now it is online; so as I mentioned I was curious why this application cannot be done remotely. In fact after reading @armoured's response (thanks a ton!!) I am going to wait an extra month until my wife and kid are in Canada before making my application.

PRs are required to be living in Canada to submit a sponsorship application and are required to continue living in Canada while the application is processed. This is true for both dependent child sponsorship and also spousal sponsorship. So it really has nothing to do with whether the application is online or not. It's around the requirements for PRs to be living in Canada to qualify as sponsors. Hope that explains it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Depending on the province your child may not qualify for provincial healthcare so would look up the eligibility in your province and at the minimum purchase emergency private health insurance and you can pay out of pocket for routine care if needed.

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
Depending on the province your child may not qualify for provincial healthcare so would look up the eligibility in your province and at the minimum purchase emergency private health insurance and you can pay out of pocket for routine care if needed.
Yes, I am going to be based in ON; have been researching on OHIP and will call them with some queries next week. Irrespective, have planned to purchase private insurance for the initial 3-6 months and pay for doctor visits.

OHIP might be provided for PR dependent applicants as I read on their website. Have to confirm this with them.