+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring 13 month child to PR within Canada

izhar_uk

Jan 23, 2011
I am currently filling up the forms to sponsor my 13 month daughter to become Permanent Resident. We are already PR and returned to Canada a couple of months ago. My daughter was born in USA after we have acquired our PR last year. Now she is given 6 months of Visitor VISA upon arrival as she is not the PR of canada. I understand from the website that I need to sponsor her and she needs to apply as well as a principal applicant. I would like to know if anyone on this forum has done this before so I can get some help. There is a bunch of documents that do not even apply to her as most of them are for spouse or common law partner. Can any one tell me what exactly do I need to fill up for a child who is only 13 months old.

Will highly appreciate the prompt response..

Regards..

Mustafa

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Well it hasn't been a day yet but no one has jumped in on this (and your post has dropped below the top most recent posts visible on a page), so perhaps your scenario is somewhat unique. I'd start off by reviewing this guide (if you haven't already):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196ETOC.asp

I suggest "printing" it in its' entirety, (we did the same with the appropriate guide for our application), and then also scan through it from beginning to end. I've read the first few pages and it seems to be clear on what is N/A when the applicant is NOT your spouse. It's a start anyway, (and this post will also bump your thread to the top again too).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

izhar_uk said:
I am currently filling up the forms to sponsor my 13 month daughter to become Permanent Resident. We are already PR and returned to Canada a couple of months ago. My daughter was born in USA after we have acquired our PR last year. Now she is given 6 months of Visitor VISA upon arrival as she is not the PR of canada. I understand from the website that I need to sponsor her and she needs to apply as well as a principal applicant. I would like to know if anyone on this forum has done this before so I can get some help. There is a bunch of documents that do not even apply to her as most of them are for spouse or common law partner. Can any one tell me what exactly do I need to fill up for a child who is only 13 months old.

Will highly appreciate the prompt response..

Regards..

Mustafa
It is really straight forward. You use this package. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp#immigrate You complete the sponsorship forms, and you complete the Immigration application forms on her behalf. She has the medical, you provide the receipt copy, the fee and the required documents. If a document is not applicable, you don't use it. You send the complete package with the fee to Mississauga, and select CPP-Ottawa as the overseas visa office.

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have been reading on this for such a long time now and I must admit, it gets more confusing the more I read !. I'm currently in a similar situation where my wife, daughter and I are PRs and my son who was born outside Canada (after we obtained the PR, and he is a not a visa exempt national) is now with us here in Vancouver on a TRP valid till April,2013 (enterd Canada in August 2012).
Now I'm trying to apply for sponsortship and I was under the impression that I need to fill out the "Application for Permanent Residence from within Canada – Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class (IMM 5289)" and mail it to Vegreville, Alberta. It looks like I need to submit a H and C application though from reading this thread !!. Will you please be able to advice and clarify this again ?
Many thanks in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Maen said:
Hi everyone,

I have been reading on this for such a long time now and I must admit, it gets more confusing the more I read !. I'm currently in a similar situation where my wife, daughter and I are PRs and my son who was born outside Canada (after we obtained the PR, and he is a not a visa exempt national) is now with us here in Vancouver on a TRP valid till April,2013 (enterd Canada in August 2012).
Now I'm trying to apply for sponsortship and I was under the impression that I need to fill out the "Application for Permanent Residence from within Canada – Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class (IMM 5289)" and mail it to Vegreville, Alberta. It looks like I need to submit a H and C application though from reading this thread !!. Will you please be able to advice and clarify this again ?
Many thanks in advance
The child is neither a spouse nor a common/law partner. Follow the instructions in my post to truesmile. You can send it to Vegreville, but 7 months later it will be probably returned.

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

The child is neither a spouse nor a common/law partner. Follow the instructions in my post to truesmile. You can send it to Vegreville, but 7 months later it will be probably returned.
Thanks PMM,

Can you please elaborate a bit more ? I couldn't find your post to truesmile !

Cheers
Maen

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
OK PMM I see the post and the link for the application...
But the forms you are referring to clearly indicate that the sponsored child must be living OUTSIDE Canada.. and reading posts by tstarks in this forum (dated May this year- I was not allowed to post the link here) where his application to Missassauga was returned and directed to Vergeville on H and C grounds ! and others also reported doing the same thing i.e. applying on a H and C grounds !! It's really confusing me

Appreciate your input PMM
Cheers
Maen

izhar_uk

Jan 23, 2011
Dear PMM

Thanks for the reply. The link you have mentioned herein corresponds to the Sponsorship process outside canada, not within canada. The instruction guide takes me to page as below....Please note its for those who intend to sponsor outside canada..In my case, my daughter is staying with me in Alberta.

Regards,

Mustafa

Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

izhar_uk

Jan 23, 2011
Dear Truesmile,

Thanks for the reply. The link you have mentioned takes me to the page for sponsoring the adopted child outside canada or the child I intend to adopt.

Appreciate if you can shed some lights on it..

Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

izhar_uk said:
Dear PMM

Thanks for the reply. The link you have mentioned herein corresponds to the Sponsorship process outside canada, not within canada. The instruction guide takes me to page as below....Please note its for those who intend to sponsor outside canada..In my case, my daughter is staying with me in Alberta.

Regards,

Mustafa

Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada
You want the application to sponsor where as if the child is outside Canada. Although you select the visa processing office as CPP-Ottawa, the visa will be issued by one of the Canadian offices in the US. It doesn't appear to make sense but that is how the system works. You can't sponsor a child "in-Canada" only spouses (and of course dependent children) You are not sponsoring your spouse, so it has to be an out of Canada application.

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
Hi PMM,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.. Just to clarify, my son is on TRP which was issued for 8 months till April 2013, and reading about it it seems that his application can't be processed OUTSIDE canada because he is "inadmissable", no ? Hence, people used the H and C route in this case !

I must admit this is realy confusing me and still can't decide which forms to fill and were to send the application. CIC are not answering, I've been tring to call for over a week now without luck.

Appreciate if you can share your view on this !

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Maen said:
Hi PMM,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.. Just to clarify, my son is on TRP which was issued for 8 months till April 2013, and reading about it it seems that his application can't be processed OUTSIDE canada because he is "inadmissable", no ? Hence, people used the H and C route in this case !

I must admit this is realy confusing me and still can't decide which forms to fill and were to send the application. CIC are not answering, I've been tring to call for over a week now without luck.

Appreciate if you can share your view on this !

Thanks

1. You have to wrap your mind around the application, the child is actually applying "outside Canada" his/her inadmissibility doesn't matter. S/he is only inadmissible in Canada, because his/her intention was to remain permanently not visit.
2. Note though it would appear that s/he was not admitted for a year, s/he is a US citizen so the visa would be issued at a US office.
3. If you submit a H.& C. application, it would be processed, but what a waste of time. 30-42 months, compared to less than 10 through the Ott/US office.

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. You have to wrap your mind around the application, the child is actually applying "outside Canada" his/her inadmissibility doesn't matter. S/he is only inadmissible in Canada, because his/her intention was to remain permanently not visit.
2. Note though it would appear that s/he was not admitted for a year, s/he is a US citizen so the visa would be issued at a US office.
3. If you submit a H.& C. application, it would be processed, but what a waste of time. 30-42 months, compared to less than 10 through the Ott/US office.
Thanks PMM,
My son is Jordanian and not a US citizen. I have finally managed to speak to an agent at CIC this morning and he initially suggested exactly what you are suggesting. Later when I mentioned he is on TRP, he went to check and after 10 mins wait he said I SHOULD submit a H&C application directly to the Vancouver office and he emailed me the forms . He mentioned the 30-40 months wait, this is in line with what other people in this forum said when CPP-M forwarded their file to CPP-V who then forwarded it to Vancouver!

Now, clearly I don’t want to wait that long for a PR for my son, but it seems that this the ONLY way.
I thought I’ll update this forum and hopefully others will find it useful

Cheers

izhar_uk

Jan 23, 2011
Maen,

Good to know that you have managed to speak to the agent finally. I have been trying to get hold of them for couple of days but they keep moving me from one place to another. Did you call 1888 242 2100 or is there any other number I can use...My daughter was given a visitor VISA of 6 months as she is a US citizen which will expire on Jan 2013 and I still dont know which and where to submit my application. Could you please share the number you have used to talk to the agent..

This is really stressing me out..

Regards..

Maen

Oct 9, 2012
Hi

Yes that is the number I've used. I phoned at 8:00 AM today and it worked.. Keep trying
But mind you my case is different to yours since your daughter is on a visitor visa and not a TRP. In that case, what PMM suggested might be the way to go for you. i.e submit a family sponsorship application to Mississauga

Best of luck
Maen