+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor from inside or outside Canada - which is better?

Sep 4, 2008
Hi Everyone

I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether it is better to sponsor someone from within Canada, or from outside Canada. At the moment I am in the UK, and planning on moving back to Canada on December 16th. If I am sponsoring my UK common-law partner to come to Canada and we send the application off to Mississauga before I move to Canada, I will have to contact the visa offices and notify them of my address change, but at least the application will be in the mail and begin the processing. If I wait until I am in Canada to send it, I won't have to change my address (although we will just have to fill in the application forms a little differently, I won't have to provide intention of establishing myself back in Canada, etc), but we will have to delay sending off the application until December.

Basically I am wondering at the moment if it "looks" better to apply from within Canada. Does anyone know?

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
if u sponsor from outside canada sometimes you may get rejected.

I never heard of any inside canada application to get rejected. :)

Also sponsoring from outside canada takes less whle sponsiring from canada takes longer.

:)

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
OleanderAvenue,
I think it all depends on how strong your application is regardless of whether you file inland or outland. Some threads mention that you cannot appeal if denied with an inland application whereas with an outland, you can appeal. Also, an outland is suppose to take less time than an inland due to the volume of applications Canada deals with verses the regional offices abroad.

Both ways of filing have advantages and disadvantages, but again, it depends on your situation which will determine which method you choose. Since my wife is from a non-visa exempt country then we MUST file an outland. If that is the only way then why should we have less of a chance of obtaining the PRV versus someone applying inland? It makes no difference and CIC should give equal opportunity to those regardless of where you file, your age, s.e.x., financial status, etc.

Remember, it is filing a perfected application and sending evidence/proof to back up those forms that really matters.

These are my thoughts... anyone have other thoughts on this?

Hope this helps!

canthai

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if it looks better to apply from within Canada but yes, you wouldn't have to prove intent and the couple of months you might save by applying earlier are lost and more if immigration questions your intent and asks you for more data. I think it would be better to wait until December.

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My partner and I have been coming to terms with realizing we're probably going to apart for a much longer time than we originally thought, due to a huge backlog in obtaining a police report, so waiting a few more months by applying in Canada will just be something we have to deal with.

Hopefully our application will be pretty straight-forward. We meet all the requirements, but I am still nervous. The thing I am most worried about is proving that we are common-law (pretty big worry, I know). We have lived together for over a year, and have proof of this, although it is not extensive (my boyfriend's name is on the lease and I am listed as a tenant, and there are no bills in our name as electricity and heat is paid by topping up a card at a store. Also no phone bills as we both have mobiles and no landline). We do have proof that we have both lived there, such as loads of mail to that address, we bought things for the house/each other, traveled together, etc. We have not "combined our affairs" as much as we possible could have - we keep separate bank accounts (although we have just recently opened a joint account) and have not put each other down on insurance policies etc because our parents still mostly look after that sort of thing (we are 24 and 26, both just out of university, and we most likely would not put each other on something like that until we were married. I don't even know if I HAVE a will.). We have LOADS of proof that we are in a strong relationship, but I am worried that despite living together for a year, the visa office will just view us as boyfriend/girlfriend that have lived together for a year, not really a common-law couple. Is there anything else that we could do to strengthen the common-law part of our application that we might not have thought of?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
OleanderAvenue said:
Hi Everyone

I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether it is better to sponsor someone from within Canada, or from outside Canada. At the moment I am in the UK, and planning on moving back to Canada on December 16th. If I am sponsoring my UK common-law partner to come to Canada and we send the application off to Mississauga before I move to Canada, I will have to contact the visa offices and notify them of my address change, but at least the application will be in the mail and begin the processing. If I wait until I am in Canada to send it, I won't have to change my address (although we will just have to fill in the application forms a little differently, I won't have to provide intention of establishing myself back in Canada, etc), but we will have to delay sending off the application until December.

Basically I am wondering at the moment if it "looks" better to apply from within Canada. Does anyone know?
The information you're getting here is a bit misleading because it's about whether it's better to file inland or outland, and that's not the information you need. You're trying to determine whether it's better for you (as the sponsor) to wait until you're back in Canada before you file an application - that has nothing to do with inland vs outland.

Inland vs outland has to do with where the application is processed, and that has to do, mostly, with where the applicant is - not where the sponsor is. It's possible for you to file an outland application while you're still in the UK with your partner as long as you can demonstrate your intent to re-settle in Canada once PR is approved. If you're not comfortable with your ability to do that, you can wait to file the application until you're back in Canada - but it will still be an outland ap. The only circumstances under which you would be filing an inland application would be if your partner was in Canada with you. And because your partner is a visa-exempt national, it's possible for him to be visiting you in Canada even while his PR application is being processed through London, so there would be no need for you to file an inland application for him even if he was in Canada with you.

Also, it is absolutely not true that outland aps are more frequently refused! That's just silly - the reason we don't hear about inland aps being refused is because there is no right of appeal. When an inland ap is refused the applicant has to leave Canada and start all over again through the outland process.

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
RobsLuv said:
The information you're getting here is a bit misleading because it's about whether it's better to file inland or outland, and that's not the information you need. You're trying to determine whether it's better for you (as the sponsor) to wait until you're back in Canada before you file an application - that has nothing to do with inland vs outland.
RobsLuv,
Just confused/curious... :)
Is this not similar to what I wrote? I wrote that someone will not have a better chance of obtaining a PRV if they file inland vs outland and that it depends on their situation which will determine their choice to file. Is this not right?

Also, if they were to file an inland application wouldn't the applicant then be able to stay in Canada, with the sponsor, until the decision is made rather than having to leave the country once their temporary visa expires? If so, I think that is a pretty big advantage compared to other people's situations.

canthai

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for inland vs. outland, if somebody is not too far away, for example a US - Canada couple, it can be better for the spouse to stay in the US, they can visit each other easily and the one in the US can still work and make money while if they filed inland, the US one is stuck in Canada without a work permit for several months. For a couple where they have very far to go visit and it's expensive and outland might take a long time at their visa office, inland might be better if they have that option. Each way has its pros and cons.

The original poster was not pondering inland or outland though, the question was about sponsoring while self being outside or inside Canada

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
If someone applied Outland but they are in Canada how would they have the interview? They would have to fly back to the sponsored person's home country upon notification??
This is quite confusing.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they would but if they are from the US, it's not a big deal to fly there from Canada. It's something each couple has to decide for themselves how it's best for them to do it.

Jam4Can

Sep 24, 2008
Leon said:
Yes, they would but if they are from the US, it's not a big deal to fly there from Canada. It's something each couple has to decide for themselves how it's best for them to do it.
Leon, are you saying that if common-law partner A was in Canada on a study permit, and is in a legitimate relationship with common-law partner B, and B sponsored A and there is an interview, then A, will have to leave school etc to fly to A's home visa office for the interview?

What happens if by time there is an interview A is finished school, and flies in for requested interview, that's it? They can't come back to Canada unless given the PR visa?

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
OleanderAvenue said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My partner and I have been coming to terms with realizing we're probably going to apart for a much longer time than we originally thought, due to a huge backlog in obtaining a police report, so waiting a few more months by applying in Canada will just be something we have to deal with.

There is also a pilot project for obtaining a police certificate for Immigration Visa purposes - Canada being one of the countries it applies to. It costs £35 for the standard 10 day service but you can pay £70 and get the results in 3 days! http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jam4Can said:
Leon, are you saying that if common-law partner A was in Canada on a study permit, and is in a legitimate relationship with common-law partner B, and B sponsored A and there is an interview, then A, will have to leave school etc to fly to A's home visa office for the interview?

What happens if by time there is an interview A is finished school, and flies in for requested interview, that's it? They can't come back to Canada unless given the PR visa?
It does not make any sense to me whatsoever to apply outland if partner A is already legally in Canada on a study permit. I am not even sure you have the right to apply outland if partner A is already legally in the country.

If partner A is not already living in Canada and comes from a visa exempt country like the US or the UK, they have a choice for partner A to come to Canada on a visa waiver as a tourist and stay and they apply inland OR they can apply outland with partner B officially living in Canada and partner A more or less visiting.

Sep 4, 2008
Siouxie said:
There is also a pilot project for obtaining a police certificate for Immigration Visa purposes - Canada being one of the countries it applies to. It costs £35 for the standard 10 day service but you can pay £70 and get the results in 3 days! http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp
Hey Siouxie! Thanks for this, although we just found out a few days ago that we would be able to take this route. We had sent in our application to Access NI (the service we had to go through that's backlogged 4 months or so) and they sent us back a letter saying we could go through ACPO, and it would only take 10 days! What a relief. My partner just had his lung xray today, and his medical is scheduled for next week (did not know it would cost £224, lol, there's another wee bit gone out of the bank account) so we just have to do that and wait 10 days, and we'll be able to send the application off! We've decided to send it while I am still in the UK, as I have lots of evidence of re-establishing myself in Canada, so we're well on our way to getting everything sorted out. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be a straightforward application and everything will go smoothly!

cdnwife

Sep 27, 2008
Leon said:
It does not make any sense to me whatsoever to apply outland if partner A is already legally in Canada on a study permit. I am not even sure you have the right to apply outland if partner A is already legally in the country.

If partner A is not already living in Canada and comes from a visa exempt country like the US or the UK, they have a choice for partner A to come to Canada on a visa waiver as a tourist and stay and they apply inland OR they can apply outland with partner B officially living in Canada and partner A more or less visiting.
It makes sense to apply outland if the partner is in Canada as they a) have the right to appeal, b) the process is often faster and once PR the student can then pay Canadian rates and not International rates, so there is an incentive to have PR as a student.

Partner A can choose to have their application processed inland or outland. That is their absolute right to choose. Just because they are in the country doesn't mean that they need to apply inland. In fact if they have been in the country for a year, they can apply outland through Buffalo. Provided they have no issues travelling to the US if they are called for an interview, this may also be a viable option for them.