+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor as brother currently residing in USA - good idea or bad idea?

bhavik_gem

Nov 4, 2012
Hi all,

I am in India, I want to study in Canada and my brother is in USA on H1-B work visa. Can he be my sponsor? Would that have any negative effect on my VISA application acceptance?

Below is what my consultant says:

"Brother as sponsor" is not a good idea. Also since he is in USA, the VISA Officer might think that I am trying to reach USA via the Canadian route and I don't necessarily intend to study in Canada.

Personally, I am not ready to believe this, but I need more guidance on this.

Kindly reply at the earliest and it will help resolve a lot of my queries.

Thanks.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
things are simpler now.

pay ur 1st year tuition fee, get a GIC and file for visa. no need for sponser, although in relative form u will have to mention that ur brother is in US.

attach 3 years IT returns of your dad/mom/both and ur salary slips of last 6 months and IT returns, if any

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
bhavik_gem said:
Hi all,

I am in India, I want to study in Canada and my brother is in USA on H1-B work visa. Can he be my sponsor? Would that have any negative effect on my VISA application acceptance?

Below is what my consultant says:

"Brother as sponsor" is not a good idea. Also since he is in USA, the VISA Officer might think that I am trying to reach USA via the Canadian route and I don't necessarily intend to study in Canada.

Personally, I am not ready to believe this, but I need more guidance on this.

Kindly reply at the earliest and it will help resolve a lot of my queries.

Thanks.
It's a bad idea, don't do it. It would create a seriously negative impression. It's good that your immediate blood relative is sponsoring you but that sponsor should ideally be someone in India. And, it's always advisable to get a loan instead or do the GIC. Re-locating to a different country is a major life decision, why take chances on such a big life changing move???

killingsoul

Jul 27, 2012
LAHORE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
ameet747 said:
It's a bad idea, don't do it. It would create a seriously negative impression. It's good that your immediate blood relative is sponsoring you but that sponsor should ideally be someone in India. And, it's always advisable to get a loan instead or do the GIC. Re-locating to a different country is a major life decision, why take chances on such a big life changing move???
lol i am in the same situation. I have a brother in USA who will be my sponsor. So what if he transfer funds to a local bank on my name? But those funds will not have a long histor/bank statement. ?

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
killingsoul said:
lol i am in the same situation. I have a brother in USA who will be my sponsor. So what if he transfer funds to a local bank on my name? But those funds will not have a long histor/bank statement. ?
Well, then simply get the funds transferred and get an education loan against fixed deposit. Even if the funds have been given by your brother in the US, the fact that you're taking a loan against it shows to the Visa officer that you're committed to paying back this loan, hence, you have a reason to come back to India. It shows that you have strong established connections to your home country.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
another simple idea:

ask ur brother to pay ur 1 year fee from US, get a receipt of payment from college, and get a GIC. for GIC ask ur brother to transfer 10500 usd to india and get a gic with money. this is simple and fast. so why waste time in getting loans and running to different banks?

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
vinitmenon said:
another simple idea:

ask ur brother to pay ur 1 year fee from US, get a receipt of payment from college, and get a GIC. for GIC ask ur brother to transfer 10500 usd to india and get a gic with money. this is simple and fast. so why waste time in getting loans and running to different banks?
You're idea is good, except there's one potential problem, the VO might be concerned about the source of funds. Especially regarding payment of fees, they would surely be interested to know who paid the fees and from where. This problem may arise in case of loan as well by the way, but not so much as in the case of paying the fees from own pocket. Plus, getting a loan against FD takes literally a week. And, going to a different country deserves a week's worth of effort, even it's a hassle I think.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
mate you can always attach IT returns of your dad/mom/both and urs if any.. see IT returns they can make sure its your money.

bhavik_gem

Nov 4, 2012
Thanks to you all for your inputs! :)

Mine is a 1 year (3 semester) PG Certificate program as I already have a masters degree.

There is a small difference in my application. I am NOT planning to apply through SPP. I will apply via the regular route. I am not paying full tuition for 1 year. I will be paying partial tuition fees for 1st semester only. For the balance amount I will take a bank education loan and will be paying it off in the stipulated time provided by the college (which I intended to do through a sponsorship letter from my brother in USA initially). For living expenses, I will do a GIC.

For GIC, is it permitted that my brother does the payment from there? Or does it have to be from an Indian bank account held by me? Will the VO have questions/doubts about the source of funds for that? Does that become a basis for VISA rejection? My last year's ITR was bout INR 7.5 lakhs. If I put that in my application, would that help in satisfying those questions/doubts?

Please guide.