+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Splitting Citizinship application

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi every one,

My family (4 persons) and I applied for the citizenship Dec 2011 in one package and got the same file number, 3 of us got RQ on JUl 2012 , my question is : Can I split my application alone now from the file? and how I can do that?, does that make impact on the processing time?

Thanks for every comment.
Cheers

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

look4d said:
Hi every one,

My family (4 persons) and I applied for the citizenship Dec 2011 in one package and got the same file number, 3 of us got RQ on JUl 2012 , my question is : Can I split my application alone now from the file? and how I can do that?, does that make impact on the processing time?

Thanks for every comment.
Cheers
Nope, too late. A family should always apply individually (except children) You are probably looking at at least 9-12 months additional.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you PMM , you mean the 9-12 months because we got RQ or because we applied together ?
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

look4d said:
Thank you PMM , you mean the 9-12 months because we got RQ or because we applied together ?
Thanks
1. Additional 9-12 months for those that got RQ. If had applied as individuals, those who didn't get RQ, wouldn't have to wait for the other family members.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right , unfortunately , all the Adults in the family got RQ , and the children can't apply individual , so I guess there is no difference in our case , but you are right , we should apply individual any ways.

Cheers

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
PMM said:
Hi

A family should always apply individually (except children)
Hi PMM,

Could you please elaborate a little about the above phrase.I have always of the notion that a family landing together should apply together if they complete their residency requirements at the same time.

In your view what could be the pros & cons of applying together as well as individually.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply together you will get your citizenship together. If you apply individually, you may not get it together but if one person gets an RQ, they will not hold the rest of the family back.

Canadian2012

Sep 6, 2012
Leon said:
If you apply together you will get your citizenship together. If you apply individually, you may not get it together but if one person gets an RQ, they will not hold the rest of the family back.
Have heard of people splitting applications in such situations. What could be a convincing reason cited for the split? Would mere 'expedition of application' be used as a reason?

Have also heard that individual offices decide whether to split an application or not. People have claimed their cases got expedited after the split. The scarcity of splitting of cases, be them secondary to RQ's or failing of the test by a spouse, doesn't provide enough information about this.

In short, an attempt for a split should be made with hopes of the unaffected individual receiving his/her citizenship sooner. There's no harm in doing so while such an attempt might even yield positive results.