+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special Needs Child with Cerebral Palsy

NimoHe

Jul 22, 2024
Hello,

I have nine children, one of whom has severe cerebral palsy. I cannot afford the necessary medication for my son. Given his severe disability, what immigration program should I apply for to move to Canada?

Thank you for your assistance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Posting under refugees/asylum. What immigration program are you even eligible for? Express Entry is the main program so start with that. EE is based on age, education, skilled work experience, language skills and funds for the number of people in your family. All children must pass the medical and show they will not be a burden on Canadian healthcare. Medication is paid out of pocket or through your company insurance.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

I have nine children, one of whom has severe cerebral palsy. I cannot afford the necessary medication for my son. Given his severe disability, what immigration program should I apply for to move to Canada?

Thank you for your assistance.
Where are you from?

NimoHe

Jul 22, 2024
Thank you for the information. My child has severe cerebral palsy and needs constant medical care. Given our situation, it sounds like Express Entry might not be suitable due to the medical requirements and financial constraints. Could you suggest any other immigration programs or pathways that might be more appropriate for families with special needs children? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

NimoHe

Jul 22, 2024
Posting under refugees/asylum. What immigration program are you even eligible for? Express Entry is the main program so start with that. EE is based on age, education, skilled work experience, language skills and funds for the number of people in your family. All children must pass the medical and show they will not be a burden on Canadian healthcare. Medication is paid out of pocket or through your company insurance.

Thank you for the information. My child has severe cerebral palsy and needs constant medical care. Given our situation, it sounds like Express Entry might not be suitable due to the medical requirements and financial constraints. Could you suggest any other immigration programs or pathways that might be more appropriate for families with special needs children? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Thank you,
No. All immigration programs require every person passing a medical. There is no pathway just for you to come to Canada with a special needs child just for care. Immigration is economic not humanitarian. Plus immigration is expensive, you would all need to pay fees for medicals, biometrics, ECA, language tests as well as show over $40k to settle in Canada. Assume you have a degree, know French and are in a highly skilled job because immigration is competitive. You would still be paying out of pocket for most expenses for your child.

Are you registered as refugees with UNHCR? They will decide where you can settle.

NimoHe

Jul 22, 2024
No. All immigration programs require every person passing a medical. There is no pathway just for you to come to Canada with a special needs child just for care. Immigration is economic not humanitarian. Plus immigration is expensive, you would all need to pay fees for medicals, biometrics, ECA, language tests as well as show over $40k to settle in Canada. Assume you have a degree, know French and are in a highly skilled job because immigration is competitive. You would still be paying out of pocket for most expenses for your child.

Are you registered as refugees with UNHCR? They will decide where you can settle.

Thank you for the detailed information. I am registered as a refugee with UNHCR. it seems like the economic immigration programs might not be feasible for us. Should I focus on applying for a refugee visa or humanitarian program ? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the detailed information. I am registered as a refugee with UNHCR. it seems like the economic immigration programs might not be feasible for us. Should I focus on applying for a refugee visa or humanitarian program ? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
If registered, then UNHRC decides where you will be re-settled, not Canada. You may not be resettled to Canada as you don’t apply to come to Canada. There is no such thing as a refugee visa.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If registered, then UNHRC decides where you will be re-settled, not Canada. You may not be resettled to Canada as you don’t apply to come to Canada. There is no such thing as a refugee visa.
Would add that only a small fraction of people who apply for resettlement are ever resettled. Canada also won’t provide 24 hour care. The majority of care will still be dependent on the family.

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Shall I get any sponsorship
If you have family members or close friends living in Canada then it may be possible.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Really I don't have . Does the government give sponsorship a mother has cerebral palsy child
You cannot apply for government sponsorship. UNHCR will decide where you are settled and it most likely will not be Canada. If you can find a group of Canadians or a community group to privately sponsor you then that Is a route. Private sponsorship is where a group of people provide income support for the number of people in your family for one year. The link provides information on how the programs work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/about-refugee-system/how-system-works.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You cannot apply for government sponsorship. UNHCR will decide where you are settled and it most likely will not be Canada. If you can find a group of Canadians or a community group to privately sponsor you then that Is a route. Private sponsorship is where a group of people provide income support for the number of people in your family for one year. The link provides information on how the programs work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/about-refugee-system/how-system-works.html
Only a fraction of refugees referred for resettlement actually ever get resettled abroad and can take a very long time to get selected if selected. Majority remain in the country of displacement.