+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP conversion from TRV or Study Permit

iwobinho

Mar 1, 2022
Hi,

Looking for some advice. My wife is in India, we are newly married. I am on an open work permit and want to bring her to Canada with me.

The SOWP processing times from India are pretty long right now. I was considering inviting her for my graduation (to show a temporary visit) on TRV and applying for SOWP from inside Canada since its faster. If we apply for TRV stating graduation and a short stay and then apply for SOWP would this reflect on her or does IRCC not care about that?

Another option is registering her to a course and inviting her on a study permit. Is it possible to bring her here and convert study permit to SOWP under me, or would the study permit need to be cancelled first?
Does anyone have any experience with this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Looking for some advice. My wife is in India, we are newly married. I am on an open work permit and want to bring her to Canada with me.

The SOWP processing times from India are pretty long right now. I was considering inviting her for my graduation (to show a temporary visit) on TRV and applying for SOWP from inside Canada since its faster. If we apply for TRV stating graduation and a short stay and then apply for SOWP would this reflect on her or does IRCC not care about that?

Another option is registering her to a course and inviting her on a study permit. Is it possible to bring her here and convert study permit to SOWP under me, or would the study permit need to be cancelled first?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
You can certainly apply for a TRV although it can be difficult to get because spouses aren’t usually only planning on coming for a visit. Is she employed? When did you get married? When do your studies end?

Applying for a study permit is much more difficult and using it to enter Canada with no intention of studying is misrepresentation.

iwobinho

Mar 1, 2022
You can certainly apply for a TRV although it can be difficult to get because spouses aren’t usually only planning on coming for a visit. Is she employed? When did you get married? When do your studies end?

Applying for a study permit is much more difficult and using it to enter Canada with no intention of studying is misrepresentation.
Got married recently. Studies end this year, was thinking of applying for TRV and inviting her for graduation, and once she's here applying for SOWP. She's studying in India.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Got married recently. Studies end this year, was thinking of applying for TRV and inviting her for graduation, and once she's here applying for SOWP. She's studying in India.
You can certainly try but her one big tie to India would be her studies and studies don’t provide very strong ties. IRCC also likes to see proof of an in person relationship if someone applies to join their spouse on an SOWP. Was this an arranged marriage? How much time have you spent together in person? How much savings does she/you both have?

iwobinho

Mar 1, 2022
You can certainly try but her one big tie to India would be her studies and studies don’t provide very strong ties. IRCC also likes to see proof of an in person relationship if someone applies to join their spouse on an SOWP. Was this an arranged marriage? How much time have you spent together in person? How much savings does she/you both have?
Yes this was an arranged marriage which makes it more tricky. Would the ties be required for the TRV or would this be needed for the SOWP application once she gets in via TRV?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes this was an arranged marriage which makes it more tricky. Would the ties be required for the TRV or would this be needed for the SOWP application once she gets in via TRV?
You need ties for both. You can try to get a TRV to attend your graduation. Otherwise I would apply for an SOWP with your PGWP once you have found a job in NOC 0, A or B.