+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Software Engineering as a Computer Engineer, How would it work for CEC, AINP?

intkid

May 19, 2020
Hi,

I am a Computer Engineering graduate from the University of Alberta. I got offered a job for a Software Engineer position from a company in US and they hired me through a PEO(Professional employer organization). I show up as I work in Alberta in my job offer. I am on my PGWP.

I am planning on applying for Express Entry, or Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program(AINP), whichever comes first.

The requirements say that I need to be licenced for the occupation that I have. I am super confused about what to do.

As a Computer Engineering graduate, I can apply for Engineer-in-Training from APEGA. But, would the officers be looking for a license from APEGA for Software Engineering? Or, do the officers even check for that kind of a licensure in Software Engineering for these immigration programs?

If I were to move to another provice, how would this licensure work?

Software Engineering: NOC 2173
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/requirements/5485/ca

Thanks.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I am a Computer Engineering graduate from the University of Alberta. I got offered a job for a Software Engineer position from a company in US and they hired me through a PEO(Professional employer organization). I show up as I work in Alberta in my job offer. I am on my PGWP.

I am planning on applying for Express Entry, or Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program(AINP), whichever comes first.

The requirements say that I need to be licenced for the occupation that I have. I am super confused about what to do.

As a Computer Engineering graduate, I can apply for Engineer-in-Training from APEGA. But, would the officers be looking for a license from APEGA for Software Engineering? Or, do the officers even check for that kind of a licensure in Software Engineering for these immigration programs?

If I were to move to another provice, how would this licensure work?

Software Engineering: NOC 2173
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/requirements/5485/ca

Thanks.
You don’t need a license for Express Entry or AINP.

intkid

May 19, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

However, when I pick NOC 2173, aren’t they going to check if I have a software engineering licence from APEGA?

Because I will have worked as a software engineer at a software company, even though I am a fresh computer engineering graduate. Wouldn’t that cause a problem?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

However, when I pick NOC 2173, aren’t they going to check if I have a software engineering licence from APEGA?

Because I will have worked as a software engineer at a software company, even though I am a fresh computer engineering graduate. Wouldn’t that cause a problem?
No and No