+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Service Ontario, Proof of eligibility to get health card, Inland spousal sponsorship

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
If you don’t spend 6 months in Nova Scotia you will be committing healthcare fraud if she uses the card knowingly. Being out of NS your chances of being caught are much higher if you try to use the card in Ontario. Having a valid card and qualifying for healthcare are very different. If you use the card in Ontario there are much better chances those expenses will be audited and you will be asked to pay back anything she uses.
OK now this is hell.

Thank you for the information

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
If you don’t spend 6 months in Nova Scotia you will be committing healthcare fraud if she uses the card knowingly. Being out of NS your chances of being caught are much higher if you try to use the card in Ontario. Having a valid card and qualifying for healthcare are very different. If you use the card in Ontario there are much better chances those expenses will be audited and you will be asked to pay back anything she uses.
One last question.... for the inland process, she is allowed to leave Canada and return right?
I wonder what they'll want at the border to prove she's in process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One last question.... for the inland process, she is allowed to leave Canada and return right?
I wonder what they'll want at the border to prove she's in process.
Re-entry isn't guaranteed. Typically people have no issues returning. However an inland application doesn't guarantee re-entry.

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Hi I'm having a hard time with Service Ontario.
They aren't giving clear answers about the document my wife (IN PROCESS, INLAND) needs to prove her eligibility for Ontario health card. We got her a nova Scotia health card no problem with the receipt we received from the government for PR application.

We gave MSI (Nova Scotia) a copy of the receipt and we showed them an email that addresses us both from our lawyer. That was all we needed to get her NS health card.

Service Ontario says they want something written. We don't even have any response from the government yet! All we have is that receipt.

Our NS MSI coverage will not work in another few weeks. What am I supposed to do?

My God, please help me with this time. Amen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OK now this is hell.

Thank you for the information
Your lawyer may have been under the impression you were settling in NS where the healthcare rules are very different because they get much less immigration. Take it up with your lawyer if they gave you incorrect advice. Important to do some research for yourselves especially because lawyers are only really familiar with immigration policy and some are pretty questionable.

Just wanted to explain a bit. Healthcare is paid for provincially. Your wife will not be paying into the tax base in NS so it makes perfect sense why a province would require people to stay for 6 months in that province/Canada. If she had said that she had not intended to stay in NS past November she would not have been eligible for a health card in August. That makes sure that most people will be tax residents and will not be entering the province to use healthcare only to leave. People entering Canada often have wait times (even citizens) to make sure they are staying permanently. Provinces with lower immigration levels tend to be the ones where you qualify for healthcare on arrival or for family members. Those provinces know that is a draw for people especially pregnant women near their due date so there is more attention paid to these sorts of cases.

Reactions: fr67

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Your lawyer may have been under the impression you were settling in NS where the healthcare rules are very different because they get much less immigration. Take it up with your lawyer if they gave you incorrect advice. Important to do some research for yourselves especially because lawyers are only really familiar with immigration policy and some are pretty questionable.

Just wanted to explain a bit. Healthcare is paid for provincially. Your wife will not be paying into the tax base in NS so it makes perfect sense why a province would require people to stay for 6 months in that province/Canada. If she had said that she had not intended to stay in NS past November she would not have been eligible for a health card in August. That makes sure that most people will be tax residents and will not be entering the province to use healthcare only to leave. People entering Canada often have wait times (even citizens) to make sure they are staying permanently. Provinces with lower immigration levels tend to be the ones where you qualify for healthcare on arrival or for family members. Those provinces know that is a draw for people especially pregnant women near their due date so there is more attention paid to these sorts of cases.
I see.
he knew we were settling in Ontario and I also communicated the need for those checkups but I guess the information got lost.

I've sent him an email. Thank you

Last edited: