+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2014 Citizenship Application

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
canada1234 said:
Hi,
I am in Ontario. Soon gonna apply for citizenship. I assessed my degrees from ICAS which is comparable to secondary education with 2 years of university education in Ontario.
The query is should I applied with Icas report and copies of degrees OR have to get english language certificate (ESL) (upto level 4 atleast).

Thanks in advance
Is your degree from English or French education? If neither you will need one of the English certificate mentioned in the instruction giide

garian4u

Nov 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
desigirltoronto84 said:
Thanks!!

When I requested my GCMS notes it was still very early in it's stage - even before I had received the AOR email. I would think that the dates on the document were simply a placeholder - nothing more. To be fair, it was too early in the process to plug in any dates. Most of the activities had "NOT STARTED" flagged against it. That said, there was a date I don't remember which date was it - I know that date coincides with the date the test letter was generated. I think the GCMS notes are more meaningful later on in the process.

Europe is still in the cards; it's end of march. My eyes are on the test date, right now. I will see how things go from there. I will keep everybody posted. :)

Personally, I take the position that I can't hold my life because of this application. If I were you, I would go ahead with the trips as planned as long as I am not out of the country months at a time - it should be fine. I hope the timing works out for you though.

I did do a Case Specific Inquiry back in December - I got a response within 30 days.
Thanks desigirltoronto84. Well, I did a Case Specific Enquiry on Jan 21, no reply yet. I did an ATIP on Feb 1, waiting for the notes. I called the CIC Call center a week back and the agent said that our files had been transferred to Scarborough by Mississauga for RQ review. But, that the local office transfer hadn't happened yet - not sure what he meant by that.

To be honest, I am not holding my travel dependent to the Citizenship application, since they are business travels. However, I will have legal issues with Citizenship laws and that is my worry. In total, my trip could be 3-4 weeks. If I get a Test invite just before my travel starts, I will likely miss the Oath, so will have to forcefully change travel plans. If I receive Test Invite during my travel, again I will have to forcefully change my travel plans. But the real issue is if I get the Oath just before my travel. In that case, I will have to renounce my Indian Citizenship and get a visa for India. The renunciation can get 2-3 weeks and the Indian business visa another 2 weeks. I will be breaking Indian laws if I travel on the Canadian passport without giving up the Indian passport. They do allow a grace period of 3 months and there are fines too. But, if an Immigration officer goes crazy and tries to block my entry, that will be an embarrassment since it is a business travel. Anyways, it is what it is.

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garian4u said:
Thanks desigirltoronto84. Well, I did a Case Specific Enquiry on Jan 21, no reply yet. I did an ATIP on Feb 1, waiting for the notes. I called the CIC Call center a week back and the agent said that our files had been transferred to Scarborough by Mississauga for RQ review. But, that the local office transfer hadn't happened yet - not sure what he meant by that.
hmmm... hard to decipher that one. May be the agent meant it will be transferred but has not been done so yet? ... Good luck with that!

To be honest, I am not holding my travel dependent to the Citizenship application, since they are business travels. However, I will have legal issues with Citizenship laws and that is my worry. In total, my trip could be 3-4 weeks.
If I get a Test invite just before my travel starts, I will likely miss the Oath, so will have to forcefully change travel plans. If I receive Test Invite during my travel, again I will have to forcefully change my travel plans. But the real issue is if I get the Oath just before my travel. In that case, I will have to renounce my Indian Citizenship and get a visa for India. The renunciation can get 2-3 weeks and the Indian business visa another 2 weeks. I will be breaking Indian laws if I travel on the Canadian passport without giving up the Indian passport. They do allow a grace period of 3 months and there are fines too. But, if an Immigration officer goes crazy and tries to block my entry, that will be an embarrassment since it is a business travel. Anyways, it is what it is.
However, I will have legal issues with Citizenship laws and that is my worry.

What do you mean by that? What legal issues?

They do allow a grace period of 3 months and there are fines too.

Where can I find more information on this? Do you know how soon after your oath date do you need to apply for your Canadian passport?

The best way to deal with this situation is to cross the bridge when you get to it. Right now, you have no indication when you will get the test and oath dates. I guess, wait till you atleast get your test date and then move your travel dates around if you have to. My two cents. :)

Paco

Jul 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
desigirltoronto84 said:
I am curious, who is maintaining this google doc?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au02r_J_VN90dHdrcDJyaWZYYW55d0hJMzJDNUFRaHc#gid=0
Me ;)

Paco

Jul 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
desigirltoronto84 said:
Thanks! You are doing a great job! :) I just noticed that some of the dates you entered on my behalf were wrong,I have updated them . :)
You're welcome
It's because for some of your dates I put the date of change in eCas rather than the date of the action itself.
For example date of LOT: feb 4 rather than jan 30.
Anyways, hope you'll have your Oath date soon =) .

garian4u

Nov 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
desigirltoronto84 said:
hmmm... hard to decipher that one. May be the agent meant it will be transferred but has not been done so yet? ... Good luck with that!

However, I will have legal issues with Citizenship laws and that is my worry.

What do you mean by that? What legal issues?

They do allow a grace period of 3 months and there are fines too.

Where can I find more information on this? Do you know how soon after your oath date do you need to apply for your Canadian passport?

The best way to deal with this situation is to cross the bridge when you get to it. Right now, you have no indication when you will get the test and oath dates. I guess, wait till you atleast get your test date and then move your travel dates around if you have to. My two cents. :)
Hi desigirltoronto84, please refer to the following links:
http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/surrender-certificate-0
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/india-travel-immediately-after-oath-t245832.0.html

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garian4u said:
Hi desigirltoronto84, please refer to the following links:
http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/surrender-certificate-0
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/india-travel-immediately-after-oath-t245832.0.html
Thanks!

Alister62

Dec 3, 2014
Hi everyone!!! :)
Great news!!!
I got my test for March 3. Any advice for prepartion ?? Did Anyone recently taken the test?
Applied on September 8
Dec 16 AOK
Feb 18 invitation for test.
Oak??? When???

aeb

Feb 17, 2015
Hi Alister... Congrats to you.... Question: was the schedule emailed to you, thru letter or you find out thru ecas? Thanks!

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alister62 said:
Hi everyone!!! :)
Great news!!!
I got my test for March 3. Any advice for prepartion ?? Did Anyone recently taken the test?
Applied on September 8
Dec 16 AOK
Feb 18 invitation for test.
Oak??? When???
Read the book then sent you cover to cover three times. :)

gupta.rk

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HIC2011 said:
Hey guys...any idea about processing times for hamilton office?

My file got transferred to hamilton office last week.
No sure but it has taken 4 weeks to send the test invitation letter for one of my friend once your file is transferred to Hamilton office