+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Opinions about Sponsorship

youqing

Mar 12, 2014
Hi everyone:

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and I am currently not receiving social assistance. Also I have a very good paying job (60k/year).

However, last year, I have been receiving social assistance for half a year from January to June. Now I am planning to sponsor my wife to Canada. Am I still eligible to sponsor her because the social assistance I received last year?

I checked the CIC website and it says:
"You may NOT sponsor if you...
receive social assistance for a reason other than disability"
It appears to me I am fine. But I am not sure.

Thank you very much for every answer. Every answer would be thanked sincerely!

Best wishes,
Kevin

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Kevin,

I'm basically just bumping your thread for you, since I don't know the correct answer to your question.

It would seem to me that you are ok, simply because that statement is in the present tense (receive) and not past tense (have received).
However, you will need to provide an Option C printout from CRA for your most recent tax year as part of your sponsorship documentation.
I have no idea if this previous information would be captured there or not.

Good luck!

Congrats for going from social assistance to 60k/yr!

tarina

Star Member
Sep 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2014
what social assistance(welfare) are you referring to? EI for unemployed? if it was, It wont affect your sponsorship.

M

mikeymyke

You cannot be on social assistance for the past 12 months from the day u apply to sponsor, so you will have to wait until July 2014 to sponsor your wife. However, you also have to write an explanation letter about your social assistance, because your latest Option C printout will be 2013, which will have revealed you got social assistance.