+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking help/advice.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got married less than 3 months after entering Canada. It wasn't a problem.

janchel said:
If you go into Canada as a visitor, and then marry shortly thereafter, won't they think you went there for that purpose?..(to marry). Would that effect their decision in the process? I have heard that you cannot go in with the intent on getting married. How long then, would one have to remain unmarried, for that not to be a problem? In my situation, there is no real time line as to a marriage, I am just wondering...thanks in advance.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Karlshammar said:
I got married less than 3 months after entering Canada. It wasn't a problem.
Has that been recently? The laws seem to change frequently. I found this on a canadian site:

Note: There is no fiancé(e) category in Canada’s immigration legislation. If you and your sponsor are fiancé(e)s, you must marry before your sponsor submits the sponsorship and immigration applications. Your application may be refused if you apply as a fiancé(e).
I am trying to figure out, if there is not fiance "visa", is there a timeframe, that one would have to wait, before they married, after entering Canada. I have searched, but can't seem to find anything on that.

Thanks in advance....if anyone knows.... :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no timeframe that you have to wait but if you come to Canada stating that you are there on vacation and get married one day later, it looks bad for you because you didn't tell them the truth.

If you come to Canada stating that you are there to visit girlfriend/boyfriend and get married 3 months later, it looks a lot better.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Leon said:
There's no timeframe that you have to wait but if you come to Canada stating that you are there on vacation and get married one day later, it looks bad for you because you didn't tell them the truth.

If you come to Canada stating that you are there to visit girlfriend/boyfriend and get married 3 months later, it looks a lot better.
If there is no timeframe, what law holds up for them to have anything against it to look down on? This is why this is so confusing.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you tell the border officials that you are only there as a tourist and you get married the next day you obviously lied to the border officers. In that case the issue is not the time frame, but the lie.

janchel said:
If there is no timeframe, what law holds up for them to have anything against it to look down on? This is why this is so confusing.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Karlshammar said:
If you tell the border officials that you are only there as a tourist and you get married the next day you obviously lied to the border officers. In that case the issue is not the time frame, but the lie.
I understand that,..why do they say however that you cannot come there with the 'intent' to get married, in the first place? I was told that, before. There is no fiance' visa for Canada, and you must be married in order to apply for sponsorship/and PR. I was told directly that you cannot come there with the intent to marry...so, I am trying to find out the proper way to come and not have to worry about a time period. This is seemingly going in circles...... ;D

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
janchel said:
I understand that,..why do they say however that you cannot come there with the 'intent' to get married, in the first place? I was told that, before. There is no fiance' visa for Canada, and you must be married in order to apply for sponsorship/and PR. I was told directly that you cannot come there with the intent to marry...so, I am trying to find out the proper way to come and not have to worry about a time period. This is seemingly going in circles...... ;D
Leon gave you a sound advice. You are coming to visit your boy/girl friend, so your reason is not to get married. And if you got married after a few months, then it did not look like you came with the intention to get married, it just fall into place :).

Kewjoe

Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011
AOR Received.
12-04-2011
File Transfer...
23-03-2011
Med's Done....
19-01-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2011
I don't want to hijack janchel's thread, but i think my question is something that might provide additional clarification. The fact that Janchel has been dating her (i assume you are a her) bf for 9 months and visited twice and mostly online/phone. Will a marriage at this point look suspicious as it hasn't been that long of a time, etc. When it comes to the application process, will the fact that the relationship has only existed for 9 months and met online, etc. make it harder for Janchel to get the PR?

I'm in a similar situation, except not 9 months, but 2 :p

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Kewjoe said:
I don't want to hijack janchel's thread, but i think my question is something that might provide additional clarification. The fact that Janchel has been dating her (i assume you are a her) bf for 9 months and visited twice and mostly online/phone. Will a marriage at this point look suspicious as it hasn't been that long of a time, etc. When it comes to the application process, will the fact that the relationship has only existed for 9 months and met online, etc. make it harder for Janchel to get the PR?

I'm in a similar situation, except not 9 months, but 2 :p
Don't worry about hijacking the thread..... ;D

I'm just trying to find out all the in's and out's myself.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, you can not come with the intention of getting married but after a couple of months of visiting boyfriend/girlfriend, you decide that it's right and you do get married. Nothing wrong with that. Also depends on how long you knew each other before. If you have been talking online for a few months, there is nothing unusual with things falling into place after 1-2 months of living together.

However, if you come in for reason vacation without mentioning boyfriend/girlfriend, then suddenly get married, they will know that either you lied to them about the reason of your visit or you really didn't have a boyfriend/girlfriend when you arrived but you dragged somebody from under a bridge and paid them to marry you so you could stay in Canada. In both cases, it will not help your application ;)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and I got married after less than three months, and it was not a problem.

Cheljan

Jan 5, 2010
Hi!

I am a Canadian Citizen and Christian, and my Girlfriend is an American and also Christian... In our situation, we canot be under the same roof before marriage. We have known each other for almost a year now, and we want to be married in Canada... My question is; What do we do in this case? All I know is that you get denide entry for geting married, and others will come in canada, wait a month to get a marriage License, then get married... For us that would be Lying. Tell Me.. How can we do this..?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
why not to try to enter Canada as a visitor? US citizens do not need visa to cross the border.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cheljan said:
Hi!

I am a Canadian Citizen and Christian, and my Girlfriend is an American and also Christian... In our situation, we canot be under the same roof before marriage. We have known each other for almost a year now, and we want to be married in Canada... My question is; What do we do in this case? All I know is that you get denide entry for geting married, and others will come in canada, wait a month to get a marriage License, then get married... For us that would be Lying. Tell Me.. How can we do this..?
It's very simple. Your girlfriend visits Canada stating that she is going to visit her boyfriend. This is true. She can not be under the same roof as you so she stays with someone else. You can do your wedding planning and other things together in the daytime. Then you get married.

Cheljan

Jan 5, 2010
Thank for your quick reply;

The problem is' "We wont Lie" As We are Christians I canot have my Girlfriend say; "Tell them that you are coming as a visitor", (like you are telling Me)... But the reason is to get married. So what I am reading between the lines, is that We have to lie, so we can married in Canada to stay... with of course applying for the "PR". I simply dont get it, as why we canot say we want to get married... We are now engaged for I already ask her hand in marriage to her Father, Via Video through by internet months ago...

I hope there is a solution, other then Lying...I just want things to work Rightfuly and Honestly.

Thank You