+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SCLPC Inland, can the spouse leave the country during the process?

kakashi741

Jan 1, 2016
Hi guys,

I am a Canadian and we've applied SCLPC inland for my Taiwanese wife in Oct, 2015. the wait time is 26month. We wonder if she can leave the country either for vacation or to visit family in Taiwan during the 26 months? Taiwan is a visa-exempt country for Canada so we are not worried about her reentry, it's just we are not sure whether this will hinder her SCLPC application? appreciate your help on this!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
It's not that you can't leave, it's that if for some reason, the CBSA denies her entry back into Canada, the application is cancelled. Many people have left briefly with an inland app in process and been fine upon return, but it's a risk.

That's another reason outland is much better for those from visa-exempt countries especially.

M

mikeymyke

Outland would've been a much better choice. Much shorter processing time, no restriction on leaving Canada, and since the applicant is visa exempt, she can visit him any time and stay for up to 6 months or longer with an extension.

Having said that, she's able to travel, but there's a chance that she could be denied entry, having visa exempt status does not guarantee entry into Canada. It just means they don't have to go through the process to apply for a visa.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
mikeymyke said:
Outland would've been a much better choice. Much shorter processing time, no restriction on leaving Canada, and since the applicant is visa exempt, she can visit him any time and stay for up to 6 months or longer with an extension.

Having said that, she's able to travel, but there's a chance that she could be denied entry, having visa exempt status does not guarantee entry into Canada. It just means they don't have to go through the process to apply for a visa.
Now with the new eTA she would have to apply for it as of March I think. Not sure if these 2 systems will be linked, if they are CIC would know she left and is not in the country which could cause the inland app to be cancelled.

I guess until eTA is in place we won't really know how it will effect those who need it to come into canada while an inland app is in process.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I'm thinking even if you cancel your inland app now and apply outland, you're processing will still be faster. Even though you are 5 months in.

jezzicaaaaa

May 18, 2016
mikeymyke said:

Hi, I have some questions too regarding this matter.
We're still thinking about whether to apply inland or outland, I'm also from Taiwan and my husband is Canadian, we just got married recently and will hopefully be able to send his sponsorship package soon.
So my questions are; What if I apply for an OWP if we decided to go through inland, and my 6months visa run out, should I go to US for a "Visa-Run"? How will this affect my application? Is there any way I can maintain my legal status while waiting for my PR to be approved?
But if we apply as an outland applicant, that means, I can't work here right? :-[
I just wanna be with my husband and start earning...
So I hope you guys can help me out!!

Thanks in advance! :)