+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same Sex sponsorship, experience & Time-line

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
Hello,

We are gathering information, collecting documents & preparing forms. So, no time-line yet.
We would love to have our own thread here.

Good day

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
boasorte said:
Hey there, is your process OUTSIDE or WITHIN CANADA?
Same-sex relationship here as well! xo
Hey. Nice meeting you.
We are still in preparation. It will be INLAND. Outland, we know, is easier, faster....but will be too complicated for our circumstances. There has been a family issue over there in the home country of my husband. I am fine with finance and support till my husband can get work permit. She was in Canada on temporary work permit but has expired now.
Good luck, and let us what sepcial requirement for a situation like ours.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KimJuliBC said:
Hey. Nice meeting you.
We are still in preparation. It will be INLAND. Outland, we know, is easier, faster....but will be too complicated for our circumstances. There has been a family issue over there in the home country of my husband. I am fine with finance and support till my husband can get work permit. She was in Canada on temporary work permit but has expired now.
Good luck, and let us what sepcial requirement for a situation like ours.
There's no extra requirement other than the regular ones. Hetero or homo couples have to go through the same long process. Make sure to follow the check list closely, and provide as much proof as you can. For more information about applications or any other doubts you can ask me or go to CIC website where everything is really spelled out or go to the thread "INLANDERS" where you gonna find amazing people willing to help with different cases.
Lets keep in touch, we are minority in here haha

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
We are a same-sex couple too, we are married, though. I don't think the process will be any different because we are same-sex couples. There are no different requirements. Be careful though if you are thinking about hiring a consultant or lawyer. My husband and I were researching them and one of them tried to tell us that the application process is harder for gay couples so her fee would be double what it would have been. We naturally distrusted this and went with a different consultant who, when we told him what the first consultant had said, seemed dumbfounded and assured us that the process is no different or harder. The first consultant also told us there would have to be an additional charge for her services because my husband and I met online, and she said that that makes the application harder to get through, or to prove authenticity. I doubted this, as well, and the second consultant assured us that this is simply not the case.

I think you will be fine, just make sure you don't get suckered by an immigration consultant or lawyer, if you choose to hire one.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iamrobot85 said:
We are a same-sex couple too, we are married, though. I don't think the process will be any different because we are same-sex couples. There are no different requirements. Be careful though if you are thinking about hiring a consultant or lawyer. My husband and I were researching them and one of them tried to tell us that the application process is harder for gay couples so her fee would be double what it would have been. We naturally distrusted this and went with a different consultant who, when we told him what the first consultant had said, seemed dumbfounded and assured us that the process is no different or harder. The first consultant also told us there would have to be an additional charge for her services because my husband and I met online, and she said that that makes the application harder to get through, or to prove authenticity. I doubted this, as well, and the second consultant assured us that this is simply not the case.

I think you will be fine, just make sure you don't get suckered by an immigration consultant or lawyer, if you choose to hire one.
OMG that's ridiculous! I'm am glad I did the whole thing by myself. I would never let these lawyers, consultants, make money on me. I have given them a try, but when the lawyer told us we would have to pay 6000$ CD, my partner and I decided we should do it ourselves.

Thanks for sharing Iamrobot!
ps: Married here as well! :)

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
boasorte said:
There's no extra requirement other than the regular ones. Hetero or homo couples have to go through the same long process. Make sure to follow the check list closely, and provide as much proof as you can. For more information about applications or any other doubts you can ask me or go to CIC website where everything is really spelled out or go to the thread "INLANDERS" where you gonna find amazing people willing to help with different cases.
Lets keep in touch, we are minority in here haha
We don't expect "special treat" or expect the process to be different from the regular one. We only need to support each other and to feed back, from interviews, proof of relationships etc etc
Example: we have to submit every proof of our relationship. That includes the chat logs etc. Those things are, sometimes, so private and so intimate. What, if by chance, the immigration officer who is handling one of our application, is anti-gay? what if he/she is pervert while his/her job is allowing the reading and invading of our intimate life and privacy?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KimJuliBC -

Many couples (whether same sex or hetero) will black out the really intimate bits with a black magic marker and leave the rest. Or omit communications that have that kind of content. Hopefully you have enough communications that you can pick and choose. In our application package (hetero) we included communications with "I love you" but omitted communications with anything more intimate than that. I think most of us would feel extremely uncomfortable having a stranger read something that was meant for only one person to see. Doing this would also address your concerns about running into an IO who isn't comfortable with your orientation. (Although given their roles and responsibilities, one would hope that very few IOs with this kind of bias exist.) Hope this helps and good luck with the application!

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
scylla

Many thanks.

Do we need to wait for the medical of our son, to be done, and to be included in our application? In our original thread, we discussed the issue of our son sponsorship and medical.

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
boasorte said:
OMG that's ridiculous! I'm am glad I did the whole thing by myself. I would never let these lawyers, consultants, make money on me. I have given them a try, but when the lawyer told us we would have to pay 6000$ CD, my partner and I decided we should do it ourselves.

Thanks for sharing Iamrobot!
ps: Married here as well! :)
boasorte,
I am glad you didn't go with the 6k lawyer, too because that would have been a major rip off. We paid much, much less than that for our guy. We debated not hiring one and trying to do it ourselves but we figured if we accidentally filled out the wrong form or sent it to the wrong person we would have been in trouble and it would have added weeks, if not months, to the process so we just decided that if having someone who knows EXACTLY what to do because he's done it sooo many times before will streamline the process at all, then we should do it. I respect anyone who tries to tackle this without professional counsel because it is insanely intimidating.

Also, I heard immigrating to Canada is relatively easy. I wonder how accurate that is. I mean, not taking into account that we are same-sex couples and a lot of countries wouldn't even look at our application if we were in the same spot with them.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iamrobot85 said:
Also, I heard immigrating to Canada is relatively easy. I wonder how accurate that is. I mean, not taking into account that we are same-sex couples and a lot of countries wouldn't even look at our application if we were in the same spot with them.
OY VAY! Read through this forum and the experiences of others and THEN judge whether it is easy or not. But it "tries" be fair (and fails miserably at times). However, you are right in that many other countries wouldn't even look at a same-sex relationship application. I'm pretty proud that Canada does. :D

Best of luck to all in this thread.

perrinsa

Oct 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
27-06-2011
My husband and I also applied inland, but we went through a lawyer. We were charged much less, and in the end, sent a lot less and completely different pictures and documents than we originally intended too. Of course, it is still early days but have not yet had any requests for documentation or additional information. Will see what happens in the next couple of months, once they start processing March/April 2010 applications.

There are definitely people out there who are just out to make a buck, so glad you avoided them.

Good luck!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Iamrobot85 said:
Also, I heard immigrating to Canada is relatively easy. I wonder how accurate that is.
The key word is "relatively." From what I've read, I think it is easier to immigrate to Canada than to some other countries such as the United States, but that doesn't mean that it is "easy" per se.

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
Like running a marathon, none of them would be easy, but some would be easier than others.

And plus, sometimes dealing with this stuff, I FEEL like I'm running a marathon (or at least what I imagine running a marathon feels like.)