14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
Hey guys,

I may be a bit off in this topic but I have been lately touched by something I am seeking answers for. Here it is:

We are a same sex couple, married of course, and I have been deported from Canada to my homeland which is very homophobic and doesn't support gay marriages. I have been living here for almost 10 months now and I think by the time the full processing of my application is over, it will be close to a year or more. I have already had my interview with a positive answer and now I guess my file is going through the last stages of processing such as background checks. I will have to pay for Authorization to Return to Canada to be processed which again my VO said that he will approve.

My only concerns here are: Does CIC send the prospective applicant's personal information including marital status, name of spouse etc to the applicant's homeland authorities? How about the extent of information available to the immigration authorities in the applicant's homeland upon departure because sometimes passengers are questioned about their Visas in their PPs? The reason for asking is if you have been married as a same-sex couple and CIC sends off all this information to a person's homeland which is homophobic, doesn't that put the applicant at more risk even at trying to depart their country for Canada?

This has been bothering me a lot lately and I would really love if someone can put my mind at ease. One thing I have been thinking is, CIC just sends off standard information to the authorities such as the applicant's name, DOB, marital status and nothing more but then I can be wrong. Is there any such system for confidentiality among CIC's sharing of information to international authorities?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Oil Sand Guy

Star Member
Nov 6, 2010
confusednscared said:
Hey guys,

My only concerns here are: Does CIC send the prospective applicant's personal information including marital status, name of spouse etc to the applicant's homeland authorities? How about the extent of information available to the immigration authorities in the applicant's homeland upon departure because sometimes passengers are questioned about their Visas in their PPs? The reason for asking is if you have been married as a same-sex couple and CIC sends off all this information to a person's homeland which is homophobic, doesn't that put the applicant at more risk even at trying to depart their country for Canada?

This has been bothering me a lot lately and I would really love if someone can put my mind at ease. One thing I have been thinking is, CIC just sends off standard information to the authorities such as the applicant's name, DOB, marital status and nothing more but then I can be wrong. Is there any such system for confidentiality among CIC's sharing of information to international authorities?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks.
Your file, for sure, has been transferred to the cnd Embassy where you are and where you had your inteview. But not to worry. The Privacy Act is a sharp sword in Canada. Canada will protect you and your interest. The officers in every embassy are aware of the cultural differences where they are. Canada will not pass or transferr your personal information to anyone else without your consent. If you are still worried, you can write to the embassy or CIC, explaining your concern.

All the best

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
Oil Sand Guy said:
Your file, for sure, has been transferred to the cnd Embassy where you are and where you had your inteview. But not to worry. The Privacy Act is a sharp sword in Canada. Canada will protect you and your interest. The officers in every embassy are aware of the cultural differences where they are. Canada will not pass or transferr your personal information to anyone else without your consent. If you are still worried, you can write to the embassy or CIC, explaining your concern.

All the best
THANKS for the clarification :D

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
confusednscared said:
My only concerns here are: Does CIC send the prospective applicant's personal information including marital status, name of spouse etc to the applicant's homeland authorities?
Besides the fact the they wouldn't and can't, I don't see how giving such information to local authorities would even be useful. I wouldn't worry about this at all.

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
Hello

About Police clearance, do we need to submit this with application upfront? or can the application go without it? We know by now that MEDICALS are not required immediately. Please remembe, our application is INLAND.
Thanks

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
KimJuliBC: Look for a checklist in your documentation. Every processing office needs different things at different times. I'm familiar with outland through the U.S. I don't know about inland.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KimJuliBC said:
Hello

About Police clearance, do we need to submit this with application upfront? or can the application go without it? We know by now that MEDICALS are not required immediately. Please remembe, our application is INLAND.
Thanks
Yes. Both the checklist and the Guide for In Canada spousal sponsorships indicate this.

Nine3001

Mar 25, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say it's easier if you're a very very VERY patient person! haha

A great resource for same sex couples going through the immigration process is LEGIT (legit.ca or "LEGIT: Canadian Immigration for Same-Sex Partners" on Facebook) - especially if you are currently in the process of preparing your application. They help same sex partners and individuals with all sorts of immigration concerns, and it's 100% free (minus their push for donations.) If you're in Vancouver, volunteers hold an information session every last Thursday of the month at Qmunity on Davie St. and Bute St. I'm sure they offer the same type of thing in other places in Canada but I don't have info on that.

Though, I just noticed that the Q&A portion of their website have a LOT of great questions and answers that people gay or straight should read.

Anyhow, my husband and I got married on Jan 16th and we sent it our application Feb 25th, received Mar 1st INLAND - I'm from Canada and he is from Brazil. According to the projected times on cic.gc.ca they are processing 13 days before ours was received so *crosses fingers* that we get our AIP and the open work permit soon. It's been really hard on both of us, me being the sole income earner and him only having visitor status. But I know we'll make it through, especially since it's getting close to approval and we've waited nearly all year.

GT25

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Hello guys I'm so glad to see this post por people like us, I'm in the same boat I sent my applications on Sept and got the sponsorship approved on October after it was send to Mexico city and know nothing since, I'm not married just commonlaw partnership I did the whole thing by myself and like all of you I'm nervous and impatient. Fingers crossed and good luck to every one!

toxicair

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
Hi there guys!

So glad I found this topic!

I'm hoping you guys will be able to advise me (please) on spousal sponsorship and also my little situation. I will try keeping it short but please be patient with me if it's long...

Okay, I am from South Africa, Cape Town. Met my fiance online early last year. Started dating in October last year. Got engaged in June (when I landed at the airport :D ). I had to leave in July and its been the hardest time of my life. I applied for another single entry visa to visit my fiance again in Manitoba by presenting the reason "visiting my friend". I will be leaving next week on the 9th. The plan was for me to go and then we get married and do spousal sponsorship from inside (my friend said hers took 8 months). Which all sounded well and everything but now of course the bloody last few days, something pops up.

The reason I am asking all this now is because I only got my passport today and then I saw the expiration date is January 23rd. I had to present a itinerary saying that the 23rd was my return date. I did not purchase that ticket though because they do advise you to wait until you got your visa. So then after waiting from the 23rd November until today, that ticket's price went up, drastically. So I ended up buying a different ticket which also leaves the 9th December but returns the 4th of February because I couldn't find something reasonably priced returning that same day. Anyway, It wasn't really a point of concern because the plan was for me to not return here (I can't anyway due to family problems. Here I thought me coming out to them would be the best thing to do-huge mistake).

Last time I got my visa it said the expiration date was 6 months. So I was concerned. I did however come across a topic "How long I am allowed to stay in Canada? (very confused) "
that states that you can still stay 6 months unless the officer at point of entry specifically instructs you on your length of stay. So now I'm hoping the officer in Amsterdam doesn't say anything coz if he did that would totally break me. Thing is, if I am not allowed to stay there for 6 months legally, I will have to apply to extend my stay for reasons being that we got married and have a PR application in process OR just simply "to explore relationship" (I read that this worked for a lot of cases). But here is where the issue comes in. Is there a time I have to wait before we can get married in Manitoba? I read that in other provinces you have to wait like 20 days or so. I cant find any info on this though. We're both in our early 20's and I just left university to be with him.

So now all these scenarios pop up in my head and I don't know what to think of it. My time is limited because what I am doing right now is preparing for the worst which in this case is me only being able to stay there from the 9th till the 23rd January. So in that short period of time we have to get married, get a marriage license, apply for extension of my TRV (I am aware that it needs to happen at least 30 days prior to the expiration date). Like I am aware that if I apply for extension and my visa then expires I will be under "implied status" until they let me know of their decision. If they approve everything will be perfect. If not, omg I don't even know.. But I am aware that I will be taking a chance to just stay then and miss my flight back but I honestly have no intention on coming back and I will have no where to stay either..
After typing this I just realized how stressed out I am.. I don't know what to do right now. I need some guidance and I have no one to turn to. I know PR application will cost about $1040 and an extension will be $75. If they deny my extension then I know there's something like "restoraion of status" that I could apply for too right?

Also, I'll be honest, I have never been nervous or had any fears regarding same-sex spousal sponsorship.. But is there anything I should know??

Okay I am really stressed out right now. It's already 2am and I have been on here looking for information the whole day.. and I have work at 9! :( I am too stressed to be tired.

Please guys if you can assist me with ANY advice I will really appreciate it so much! If there is anything that I need to know or anything you would like to help me with, Please tell me. I know you guys are in the same situations more or less and I know you're all tired of the skype calls all day long and the emails and pictures and so.. We all want to be with the one we love the most, but when you can, please reply to me. I will sit here and wait.

Thank you for your time.

-Y

perrinsa

Oct 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
27-06-2011
Hi Toxicair

Sorry to hear about all your family, that is really rough, but I can honestly say it gets a lot better over time.

The single entry visas are a bit of a tough one.. Basically you can enter canada and unless they specifically stamp your passport to say you have only 3 months, your entry will be valid for 6 months - as long as you don't leave Canada.. although you can go into the USA during the period of visa validity.

The visa validity is for Entry in canada, it doesn't mean you have to be out by January 23. - Tell them that you are staying for x number of days when they ask, and provide the airline ticket if asked for.

With regard to the Marriage licence in Manitoba, it has to be applied for at least 24 hours before the ceremony and is valid for 3 months from date of issue. Both of you need to be present to get it and be 18. check vitalstats.gov.mb.ca for more info on this.

Once you are in Canada - you will need to apply for either a Work Permit or a Family Visa depending on your situation. Work permits can take as little as 6 weeks, while family visas are 9 months till acceptance and another 8-9 months before your visa is actually issued. You are only on implied status once your application has been submitted - include an open work permit application with it - that way you can work once you get your acceptance.

Hope some of this helps..

toxicair

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
HI

Thanks so much for replying to me. My fiance and I are really stressed and worried about the situation. Okay the family thing is really the last thing on my mind right now :-[ I must ask though, I should probably tell them that I am planning on leaving the country on February 4th (because that is when my flight back here is).

About getting married, does the ceremony really have to be like a big-kind of thing? Because we're only planning on going to a court house and have the ceremony officiated by a justice of the peace. We'll have family there and friends of course. Any views on this? We'll then have a lunch of dinner after wards.

As far as the work permit goes, I never knew you could do that. That would be great if I could start working once I get acceptance. I'll be doing inland. I think it's the safest. Two of my friends said theirs took 6 months, and 9 months.

If it turns out that I have to extend my visa with the reason being "to explore relationship". They will grant it right?

perrinsa

Oct 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
27-06-2011
To be honest - and I do this with all agents in all countries, is only answer the questions they ask.. preferably with yes or no, unless obviously that is not the applicable answer. Try not to give more information than is asked for. The landing card asks how many days you are staying in Canada. put the number of days from your arrival till Feb 4. If they ask what date you are leaving, tell them Feb 4. Do not mention the wedding - ever.

With regards to the wedding.. make sure you get photos with you and your finance interacting with friends and relatives (where possible).. try get some from South Africa too. You will have to have witnesses, and get some photos taken during the ceremony and lots at the dinner afterwards. It will definitely help if your fiancee's family come too...

As to the visitor visa extensions, I have no idea how that works, but the quickest option is to apply online if you are not going to get your permanent residents application in on time. You will be on implied status until they make a decision on your extension anyway. If you apply by mail, it takes 110 days approx. to process.

As with any immigration, there is always the chance of denial, there are no sure fire ways unfortunately.

toxicair

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
Hi

Okay so I tell them I will be staying a period of 45 days. I am aware that if I mention any of my plans they will deny me entrance. So if they stamp the passport with a date that is not the 9th of november then that will probably be the date that i have to leave. If they don't stamp a date then I can stay for 6 months right? Gosh I really hope that is the case.. Is there anyone I could ask for sure?

Okay the wedding will be sorted out. That is fine even though my family won't be able to attend it.
We have enough evidence. Letters, facebook messages, texts, chat logs, skype stuff, and stuff like that.

Do you suggest that we get married first, apply for PR and then an extension?
Or do you suggest a different order?

Thanks