+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same Sex Conjugal Partner application

Nerd13

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
I have sponsored my conjugal partner, we had applied last year and for past 5 months the background check is under process and his eligibility is under review for past 2 months.

Any tips when they will complete it and send the pre arrival or the PPR ready for visa email, Any guidance would be appreciate, we do have a lawyer though.

Application date: 19th May 2023
AOR June 27 2023
ADR ( Sponsor Tax documents) Jul 21 2023
Sponsor Approval: 21st August 2023
Medical Request : 21st August 2023
Biometric completed : 21st August 2023
Medical Completed 20th September
BG under Progress: September 2023
Eligibility under review : december 2023

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have sponsored my conjugal partner, we had applied last year and for past 5 months the background check is under process and his eligibility is under review for past 2 months.

Any tips when they will complete it and send the pre arrival or the PPR ready for visa email, Any guidance would be appreciate, we do have a lawyer though.
Really not possible for anyone to say. You haven't stated when you applied, but does not sound out of line with timeline. Conjugal apps tend to take longer, and country of principal applicant can also matter.

I'd suggest you order gcms notes. Not that it is likely to show anything very useful, but just in case - sometimes there is useful info in there.

Reactions: Nerd13 and Naturgrl

Nerd13

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Really not possible for anyone to say. You haven't stated when you applied, but does not sound out of line with timeline. Conjugal apps tend to take longer, and country of principal applicant can also matter.

I'd suggest you order gcms notes. Not that it is likely to show anything very useful, but just in case - sometimes there is useful info in there.
AOR June 27 2023

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
AOR June 27 2023
All seems pretty normal. I doubt iRCC would even respond to requests about the processing until it's been 12 months.

Yes, some files go faster. Some files go more slowly. Some sentences use adverbs properly, some don't. Go figure.

Nerd13

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
All seems pretty normal. I doubt iRCC would even respond to requests about the processing until it's been 12 months.

Yes, some files go faster. Some files go more slowly. Some sentences use adverbs properly, some don't. Go figure.
Why is the background check is checking so long, would IRCC update us about that. We do have a lawyer

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Why is the background check is checking so long, would IRCC update us about that. We do have a lawyer
Background check can sometimes take up to a year depending on:

- where partner lives and has lived (need immigration information and security checks from those countries)
- documentation (any accounts, documents provided have to be verified for authenticity)

Reactions: YVR123

Nerd13

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Background check can sometimes take up to a year depending on:

- where partner lives and has lived (need immigration information and security checks from those countries)
- documentation (any accounts, documents provided have to be verified for authenticity)
He has never traveled anywhere outside India

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Eligibility will be important here too, which will be mostly be bona fide relationship and compliance with requirements of the conjugal program.

In India, Same sex relationship are not recognized and common in law too are not recognized
Did you reside together for 12 months at any point? If so, you should've applied as common law. (Whether the relationship is 'recognized' in home country or not is irrelevant)

Nerd13

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Eligibility will be important here too, which will be mostly be bona fide relationship and compliance with requirements of the conjugal program.

Did you reside together for 12 months at any point? If so, you should've applied as common law. (Whether the relationship is 'recognized' in home country or not is irrelevant)
We resided together for 5 years before i flew here as PR, our Lawyer suggested that it should be conjugal partner

2) We never applied for TRV as we are like the PR would come in time.

3) please see this too "For example, a foreign partner may be from a country where divorce is not possible or where same-sex marriage is not recognized. Such partners may not be able to obtain long-stay visas in order to live together and meet the cohabitation requirement for common-law partners. When the option of marriage is not available, such couples could be permanently separated. In all other respects, conjugal partner couples are similar to a common-law couple or a married couple."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-conjugal.html