+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ victim waiting for decision since late 2009

holySinner

Nov 16, 2011
I posted it in another thread but couldn't get the replies so I am posting my story in separate thread.

I am here from 2009 too. I am still waiting for CIC decision and just have no clue what to do. I want this to be over soon but God knows when would they start working on my file. I got my RQ on the day of my test.

Here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on October 7, 2010.

We sent you a letter on October 7, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a letter on April 6, 2011. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a notice on June 6, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on June 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

Your file was transferred to the St Clair office on June 6, 2011. The St Clair office will contact you if additional information is required. The St Clair office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

I would appreciate if you guys can advise me what to do?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. What were the letters on October 7, 2010 and April 6, 2011 about? Were they test invites?

2. What happened at the test? Did you present the required documents including your passports?

3. Did you apply with 1095 days of physical presence?

These will provide an idea of what the hold up is - my suspicion is that there is a security and/or background check that is an issue. No need to answer if you don't want to but was your PR process smooth?

holySinner

Nov 16, 2011
1. The October 7, 2010 letter was for missing sign on my photograph which I duly replied.

2. I took the test and after the test they gave me RQ. Yes I did present my passports and she checked all the stamps and found it in order.

3. Yeah I did complete my 1095 days of physical presence.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
holySinner said:
1. The October 7, 2010 letter was for missing sign on my photograph which I duly replied.

2. I took the test and after the test they gave me RQ. Yes I did present my passports and she checked all the stamps and found it in order.

3. Yeah I did complete my 1095 days of physical presence.
You mean 1096 days

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Well you been given a RQ upon your test and on an average learning from thousands of other applicants in the same shoes it could take up to 48 months after the RQ. This information is solely based on experience of other applicants.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
holySinner said:
may be. but do you think this 48 months after RQ or since you filed your citizenship application?
RQ timeline starts at the time when RQ is issued and based on thousands of applicants experience 36-48 months. But like i said don't lose heart man it can happen for you tomorrow. It varies from case to case...like one of friend he is stuck in this from past 7 years where as another friend of mine he got a RQ and his whole process took 4 years from the time he applied.

Did you had regular visits to US???

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OKK said:
RQ timeline starts at the time when RQ is issued
I do not believe there is any reliable evidence to back up this statement.

OKK said:
...and based on thousands of applicants experience 36-48 months.
I do not believe there is any reliable evidence to back up this statement either. There are 300,000+ citizenship applications per year. The CIC is the only source for reliable statistical information about these applications. If OKK has access to actual reliable data showing the veracity of the 36-48 month timeline (accurately covering the tens of thousands of yearly RQ recipients and their timelines), I would hope she or he would post it.

The 48 month timeline was a (seemingly) random GTA Call Centre quote. It is not known what is was based on and the CIC has since disavowed it.

OKK said:
But like i said don't lose heart man it can happen for you tomorrow. It varies from case to case...
This information is accurate. There are no guaranteed timelines with citizenship or with RQs.

holySinner said:
so 24 more months....... this is so unfair
It would be unfair if it were true. No one on this forum has access to a definitive RQ timeline. Suggestions to the contrary are false and frankly disrespectful to the emotions of those in frustrating circumstances.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
holySinner said:
I am here from 2009 too. I am still waiting for CIC decision and just have no clue what to do. I want this to be over soon but God knows when would they start working on my file. I got my RQ on the day of my test.

Here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2009.
We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
We started processing your application on October 7, 2010.
We sent you a letter on October 7, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
We sent you a letter on April 6, 2011. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
We sent you a notice on June 6, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on June 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Your file was transferred to the St Clair office on June 6, 2011. The St Clair office will contact you if additional information is required. The St Clair office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

I would appreciate if you guys can advise me what to do?
I can't advise you of what to do, but I can advise you of some options.

1. Contact the Helpline (1-800-242-2100), they may be able to send an inquiry to the local office as to the delay.
2. Contact your MP. Tell them that your case has far exceeded even the "non-routine" (35 months from application) timeline. They can inquire with the CIC about what the hold-up is. http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC
3. Depending on what you hear, you may want to contact a reputable lawyer to consider a mandamus suit. This is complex and expensive, but it is an option, especially for people whose cases have gone beyond 36 months, which federal courts have often ruled "unreasonable". http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/mandamus/