+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ AFTER OATH CONFIRMATION

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
eileenf said:
The US immigration system is not dependably transparent, responsive, or well run.
The CIC is moving towards a US-style system (less citizenship, more temporary immigration, long lines, more illegal immigration).
God, Eileen, what an awful thought! I pray that Canada never replaces its dull, reasonable, bureaucratic system with the authoritarian one that my country of birth prefers.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolcanadian said:
The difference here is that I got my RQ exactly a week later of me tying to change my Oath date and i had already send them back that RQ BLANK and i had clearly wrote on it "NOT INTERESTED AS I WITHDRAW MY APPLICATION". :)
However, that doesn't mean withdrawal.

Get yourself together, call CIC and explain you were stressed, so they could put a note on your file not to aggravate your case much further.

Then fill out an RQ form (that doesn't get that long) and get copies of supporting documents and send them back all that.

After that come here and vent about inhumane CIC. :)

That's a right and a must thing to do for you in the next days/weeks.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EasyRider said:
However, that doesn't mean withdrawal.

Get yourself together, call CIC and explain you were stressed, so they could put a note on your file not to aggravate your case much further.

Then fill out an RQ form (that doesn't get that long) and get copies of supporting documents and send them back all that.

After that come here and vent about inhumane CIC. :)

That's a right and a must thing to do for you in the next days/weeks.

Phd's are disciplined and not like us. Once they made their decision they will stand firm on that.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear_pnp said:
Phd's are disciplined and not like us. Once they made their decision they will stand firm on that.
Nah, they get stressed and upset like anyone else.

I can only imagine being slapped with RQ after oath date is set.

Doesn't it mean, by the way, that the decision has already been made by that point, why RQ?

CIC can argue that because a person tries to postpone oath, one probably lied about residency years ago. What a crock of bull.

It's time to get sober though.

coolcanadian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Guys relax yourself I had made my decision and I will live by it...I am extremely contempt and happy with my choice...to me this is NOT important at all as it has no effect on my life what so ever in any ways...to me this chapter is closed and the book had been burned and the ashes had been blown away...so plz stop worrying about my decisions and good luck to you all with your applications :)

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
CanuckForEver said:
It's Canada that's at loss, not the other way around. I heard for a PHd with a couple qualified publications, you get USA green card in 6 months. Some food for your thoughts ;)
Spoken like a man who's never had to deal with INS/ICE ::). I applied for US citizenship three times before I got it. First time when processing times were at 2 years (they just raised fees), they lost my application. Second time I had one absence a little over 6 months -- IO had discretion to accept or deny. She chose to deny -- even though I've lived in the US since I was 5 y.o., got my Greencard as a minor and the absence, not in my "home" country, was due to work for an American company Third time (only a few months after the denial when that 6-month absence was no longer in the relevant look back period) was the charm, and the interview mostly consisted of the IO scribbling in my file and muttering that the previous IO should have passed me. In my personal experience, CIC is a huge improvement from INS/ICE -- I only had to apply once for PR and got it in a little over 5 months. As an American, I really don't understand why so many people who have issues with Canada fetishize the US...in totality, language issues aside, Canada is the 51st state, but with single payer healthcare. ;D

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
margobear96 said:
Spoken like a man who's never had to deal with INS/ICE ::). I applied for US citizenship three times before I got it. First time when processing times were at 2 years (they just raised fees), they lost my application. Second time I had one absence a little over 6 months -- IO had discretion to accept or deny. She chose to deny -- even though I've lived in the US since I was 5 y.o., got my Greencard as a minor and the absence, not in my "home" country, was due to work for an American company Third time (only a few months after the denial when that 6-month absence was no longer in the relevant look back period) was the charm, and the interview mostly consisted of the IO scribbling in my file and muttering that the previous IO should have passed me. In my personal experience, CIC is a huge improvement from INS/ICE -- I only had to apply once for PR and got it in a little over 5 months. As an American, I really don't understand why so many people who have issues with Canada fetishize the US...in totality, language issues aside, Canada is the 51st state, but with single payer healthcare. ;D

I know! It's bizarre to me as well, as if the U.S. is some sort of land of milk and honey that will recognize their talents, unlike cruddy provincial Canada. I would FAR rather be an immigrant here than down in the States.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
margobear96 said:
Because currently the processing times are 25/35 months in Canada and 5 months in the US (N-400 processing).

They can lose application several times in the US and still outperform Canadian system.

And there's virtually no recourse available in Canada.

The US is bigger and the groups of interest are better represented, there's ACLU, for example, so the last time citizenship processing timelines started to creep into 2-3+ years region with infamous "name check" issue around 2006/2007, it was fairly quickly addressed through a legal system.

There's virtually no support or level of activism like that available in Canada.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
EasyRider said:
Because currently the processing times are 25/35 months in Canada and 5 months in the US (N-400 processing).

They can lose application several times in the US and still outperform Canadian system.

The US is bigger and the groups of interest are better represented, there's ACLU, for example, so the last time citizenship processing timelines started to creep into 2-3+ years region with infamous "name check" issue around 2006/2007, it was fairly quickly addressed through a legal system.

There's virtually no support or level of activism like that available in Canada.
Also, the original claim was that an applicant with a PhD could get a green card within 6 months from the States, a claim which is absurd. Your example is naturalization, perhaps it is much faster than in Canada. I certainly won't argue that the Canadian 'system' of granting citizenship is a little unwieldy -- but for myself, PR was much more important.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
EasyRider said:

My N-400 saga took 7 years in total..."slightly" more than the current Canadian processing time. Anyway, processing times change. My third, successful application took 8 months! But as I've personally experienced (2002/2003) and you've noted (2006/2007), the US citizenship process has also dragged into the multiple years. And I believe the Canadian process was much shorter in years past. What I don't understand is the belief that the US is always better (see your statement in red above). Kind of a "my country right or wrong" mentality...but not really your country, which is weird.

EasyRider said:

I'm not quite sure it was "fairly quickly addressed" when processing times were long in 2002/2003 as well...and that's only what I know of. From what you wrote though, the ACLU would have been challenging the discriminatory aspects of the "name check", not that the processing time in and of itself was "too long". I'm not sure what arguments they'd be able to make if it was solely about processing times.

Anyway, I don't understand the no legal recourse argument. The US and Canadian legal systems are not significantly different. Actually with the Charter of Right spelling out "right" that are only established in the US by case law, if at all, there's probably a whole category of arguments that one could make in Canada that has no equivalent in the US. It's not a structural problem of the country's legal system. I also wouldn't fault Canada for the current lack of activism of its citizens. Of course, you can always agitate for change (now or after you get citizenship) and be that shining example for the rest of us laggards :D. As for the ACLU, they exist because the US has had a huge problem living up with it's own rhetoric. The biggest problem historically being slavery and segregation. Personally, the lack of a Canadian ACLU doesn't necessarily mean that Canada sucks. It might just mean that there was less need for one -- slavery was abolished in 1833 without a war -- which is a good thing.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Also, the original claim was that an applicant with a PhD could get a green card within 6 months from the States, a claim which is absurd. Your example is naturalization, perhaps it is much faster than in Canada. I certainly won't argue that the Canadian 'system' of granting citizenship is a little unwieldy -- but for myself, PR was much more important.
How do you say it's absurd? Do you know US immigration laws? They have something called STEM system, where a PHd with relevant publications is highly valued and they would relatively quickly process your Green Card. I have never dealt with INS/ICE for immigration purposes but I can surely say the public services in USA if not exceeding Canada is at par with Canada. That said, CIC citizenship processing is the worst among any developed countries and USA definitely will not match CIC's unprofessionalism and bullying attitude as they have a decent, if not better, customer service.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry, absurd is the wrong word to use with you -- you are arguing with data, which is rare enough. We're still talking about different things, I suspect -- if you have a PhD, they process your application within 6 months? Or is it a STEM PhD only? Or a STEM PhD with a job offer? Remember, the original claim was that they process PhD applicants within 6 months -- and I do say that is absurd.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
CanuckForEver said:
I have never dealt with INS/ICE for immigration purposes but I can surely say the public services in USA if not exceeding Canada is at par with Canada. That said, CIC citizenship processing is the worst among any developed countries and USA definitely will not match CIC's unprofessionalism and bullying attitude as they have a decent, if not better, customer service.
I am confused. Have you ever actually lived in the US?!? Because no one who's ever had to deal with the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) or the US Post Office or SSA (Social Security Administration) could with a straight face say that "public services in USA if not exceeding Canada is at par with Canada". Don't know if it's specific to BC, but Service Canada, Passport Canada and ICBC here have been awesome -- short lines, well lit, buildings that don't stink of BO and piss.... For sure though, private customer service is generally better in the US...or at least stuff is cheaper, which makes up whatever failings in customer service.

Having dealt with INS/ICE, I can say that they can mostly certainly go head to head with CIC on "unprofessionalism and bullying". The most recent case I know of being an IO from Queens (NYC) who demanded money and a blow job from one of his interviewees. He was caught and fired, but only after the interviewee already provided the cash and the BJ. (She only went to the cops after he demanded more money.) From my experience the folks manning the phone lines at both INS/ICE and CIC are wholly incompetent. That said, CIC uses email, and I've gotten my concerns addressed that way. However, if you know the magic combination of options on the INS/ICE phone line, you can get connected to an IO (not customer service rep) who can access your electronic file and give you information over the phone. I say it's a toss up on customer service. The US and Canada are my only comparisons though. I can't opine as to how CIC stacks up against UK or Australian immigration.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
margobear96 said:
My N-400 saga took 7 years in total..."slightly" more than the current Canadian processing time. Anyway, processing times change. My third, successful application took 8 months! But as I've personally experienced (2002/2003) and you've noted (2006/2007), the US citizenship process has also dragged into the multiple years. And I believe the Canadian process was much shorter in years past.
Yes, about 5 years ago, the average was around 13 months. Now they post the time it takes to process 80% of applications instead of the average and that's right now 25 months for routine applications and 35 months for non-routine.

During those 5 yrs, they have cracked down on citizenship fraud after several cases were uncovered where applicants had succeeded in getting citizenship without having spent any time in Canada by handing in forged documents. Obviously they forgot to add the funds to hire more staff as well. I think it would be in everybody's best interest that they raise the fees and hire more staff. Compared to the PR processing fees, the citizenship fee is a joke.

vik403

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Halifax, NS, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
File Transfer...
26-03-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
coolcanadian said:
The difference here is that I got my RQ exactly a week later of me tying to change my Oath date and i had already send them back that RQ BLANK and i had clearly wrote on it "NOT INTERESTED AS I WITHDRAW MY APPLICATION". :)
you my friend is my HERO!! I wish you luck wherever you go.