+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) - How long does it delay an application?

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
08-08-2016 (RPRF/marriage cert./FBI)
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: 21-10-2016 / CoPR Email Received: 24-10-2016
So it seems that we're one of the last applications pending from Ottawa in May, and the only thing I can chalk it up to is the fact that the RPRF payment was deferred until they asked for it. If I'd known that it made that big of a difference I would have paid it up front. From taking a look at other apps it seems like paying this fee upfront definitely speeds things along.

Our case was a bit unusual (I think) because they requested RPRF along with 2 other documents at the same time on August 8th. We're now at 43 days past the document request date. Everything was sent in within 1 1/2 weeks from the requested date. The due date for the RPRF/1 of the extra documents was 30 days, so I assume they'd check the application at 30 days to see if everything was there? We're getting a little worried seeing late June applicants getting DM.

Can any senior members confirm approximately how long paying RPRF at the end of the process delays the finalization of an application?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input. :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:
So it seems that we're one of the last applications pending from Ottawa in May, and the only thing I can chalk it up to is the fact that the RPRF payment was deferred until they asked for it. If I'd known that it made that big of a difference I would have paid it up front. From taking a look at other apps it seems like paying this fee upfront definitely speeds things along.

Our case was a bit unusual (I think) because they requested RPRF along with 2 other documents at the same time on August 8th. We're now at 43 days past the document request date. Everything was sent in within 1 1/2 weeks from the requested date. The due date for the RPRF/1 of the extra documents was 30 days, so I assume they'd check the application at 30 days to see if everything was there? We're getting a little worried seeing late June applicants getting DM.

Can any senior members confirm approximately how long paying RPRF at the end of the process delays the finalization of an application?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input. :)
Not a senior member, but I can comment that from what I have seen, it's about 30-60 days. You can pay this anytime, but if they have to ask for it, then it will slow your processing down.

My suggestion is to pay it now online, and send the PDF in via Case Specific Enquiry immediately. It will take 10 days for them to get to your CSE, but at least they won't hold you up longer because you didn't pay the RPRF.

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
profiler said:
Not a senior member, but I can comment that from what I have seen, it's about 30-60 days. You can pay this anytime, but if they have to ask for it, then it will slow your processing down.

My suggestion is to pay it now online, and send the PDF in via Case Specific Enquiry immediately. It will take 10 days for them to get to your CSE, but at least they won't hold you up longer because you didn't pay the RPRF.
Thanks for your response! I guess I should say I appreciate feedback from ANY members, senior or not. :)

It was paid/PDF sent the day they asked for it, along with a copy of the long form marriage cert. The FBI was mailed about a week 1/2 later as we'd been waiting for it to come in.

Just trying to get some sense of whether or not this is normal. The only outlier I can see with our case is the darn RPRF payment having been deferred.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:
Thanks for your response! I guess I should say I appreciate feedback from ANY members, senior or not. :)

It was paid/PDF sent the day they asked for it, along with a copy of the long form marriage cert. The FBI was mailed about a week 1/2 later as we'd been waiting for it to come in.

Just trying to get some sense of whether or not this is normal. The only outlier I can see with our case is the darn RPRF payment having been deferred.
It's definitely possible that it's the reason the case slowed down. From other US applicants that didn't pay, I have seen 30-60 days. I would guess the case is probably coming up soon to finalise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your application was missing the FBI cert and the long marriage certificate, then I don't see anything unusual about your processing times. This means you technically submitted an incomplete application. So it's not just a matter of processing your RRPF - they also still need to review the other documents you submitted. I would suspect that if anything, the late submission of the FBI cert is what will cause additional processing time. It's possible you may still have additional weeks or even months to wait.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it's really going to depend on the visa office and the officer handling the file. when i went through in 2014, i submitted my RPRF with my PPR, and did not see any delay at all. I received my COPR within 2 weeks. This may or may not be consistent with how Ottawa works now.

The fact CIC requested other documents along with the RPRF could mean your file isn't officially ready for approval yet. The delay may not be because of the RPRF, it may be because of those other documents - depending on what they are. There's a good chance the file still needs to be worked on and approved. It sounds like it's only been a short time since the "due date", so i wouldn't really worry about it yet. I'd say if you haven't heard anything by 90 days, then start to inquire. It may be a good idea to order your notes now to confirm everything was received correctly and your file is moving along. Remember, weekends and holidays can't be counted in the timeline.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I think scylla is probably right here -- I missed the incomplete application bit. The RPRF will slow them down if it makes it to final stages and they have to ask for them.

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks to everyone's responses, this isn't the news I was hoping for, but it is what it is.

We filed through a representative who told us that submitting the application without these items was not a problem, as they could be sent later once they came in. At the time I wasn't aware that it would be considered an 'incomplete' application (these forums have taught me a lot). I guess he was technically correct, although had we waited and filed once the items arrived I wonder if there would have been a difference in processing time, taking everything into account.

I was hoping that since they requested RPRF at the same time as the documents that it meant that all they needed were those items to finalize. It's all a guessing game, really...

I have to get notes through my representative, but he doesn't seem concerned about the processing time because the 'official' processing time is 14 months.

Reactions: Kerikeri

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:
I was hoping that since they requested RPRF at the same time as the documents that it meant that all they needed were those items to finalize. It's all a guessing game, really...
They can request this any time during the process if it isn't paid already. It's my understanding that any time you get correspondence they could request it until it's been paid.

lalicatter said:
I have to get notes through my representative, but he doesn't seem concerned about the processing time because the 'official' processing time is 14 months.
Could you apply yourself? They are pretty easy to get. He won't seem concerned, because the file is still in process, and its not his family's future that hangs in the balance..

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
profiler said:
They can request this any time during the process if it isn't paid already. It's my understanding that any time you get correspondence they could request it until it's been paid.

Could you apply yourself? They are pretty easy to get. He won't seem concerned, because the file is still in process, and its not his family's future that hangs in the balance..
I thought that because he is my designated representative that he would need to request them on my behalf? If that's not a factor then I will definitely request them myself.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:
I thought that because he is my designated representative that he would need to request them on my behalf? If that's not a factor then I will definitely request them myself.
He certainly can. Or any Canadian can on your behalf.

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
profiler said:
He certainly can. Or any Canadian can on your behalf.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this, I thought he had to do it.

As for the RPRF, my representative made it out that it was a 'direct request' required to finalize the application, along with the 2 documents, rather than the generic solicitation for the fee that accompanies correspondence. Really, who knows though.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. We'll just keep hanging in here and hope for good news soon.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:

As for the RPRF, my representative made it out that it was a 'direct request' required to finalize the application, along with the 2 documents, rather than the generic solicitation for the fee that accompanies correspondence. Really, who knows though.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. We'll just keep hanging in here and hope for good news soon.
Here is a link, in case you were interested to know: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

Best of luck!

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
profiler said:
Here is a link, in case you were interested to know: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

Best of luck!
Thanks very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lalicatter said:

The letter is a form letter. It has standard language that states the application cannot be finalized without the RPRF - this doesn't actually mean CIC is ready to finalize your application. Without the FBI cert and marriage certificate - your application is still in the "being processed" state and not ready to be finalized.

I wouldn't compare your timelines to others on this forum since many/most of these others likely submitted the three things you were missing with their original application. Hopefully you have weeks rather than months to wait.