+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada after 24 years

Dazyb

Oct 21, 2015
Hello
I am a Canadian citizen married to British wife with 2 British born children living in UK for past 24 yrs. Prior to this I sponsored my wife to move to Canada where we lived for 9 1/2 yrs. During that 9 1/2 yrs my wife was continually employed with social ins. no. & filed yearly taxes. Now 24 yrs later we wish to return to Canada.I know my children have an automatic right to citizenship and can apply for such from within Canada but is it necessary for my wife to re-apply for whatever residency is required? If she does have to apply, can this be done after we arrive in Canada?
All feedback very welcome!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are a Canadian citizen, your wife's time living abroad with you, will still count towards her Residency Obligations to maintain her PR status.

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
If you do not have canadian citizenship certificates for your children, I recommend getting them before returning. Thay way they will have proof when they land, much easier. I did this for mine and all they had to do at landing was have their bill of goods with the form that goes along with it.

Dazyb

Oct 21, 2015
Thats a good point. Was wondering if we should apply for citizenship now or way til arriving in Canada.
Thanks