+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligation at port of entry

MVP77

Sep 5, 2019
Hi there, wondering if anyone had complications in similar experience at port of entry.
Myself and my wife sponsor our parents and their pr is valid since July 2020. Since then they have been back and forth with total of 350 days of physical presence in canada like 1,3,4 months per time.
They are here now but have to go back “home” to finalize some things and finally move here for home.
The plan is to be back in May 2024 with PR card expiry date in Aug 2025.
They do have more than enough days left to satisfy the RO requirements.
The obvious question is about a realistic chance of things getting complicated with CBSA officer in these circumstances as there will be 1 year and 2-3 months until expiry date of the card.
I do acknowledge it’s quite individual and depends on the officer….but still, looking for someone to share similar experience. What documents or proofs would you suggest be ready to avoid escalation etc.
Thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Myself and my wife sponsor our parents and their pr is valid since July 2020. Since then they have been back and forth with total of 350 days of physical presence in canada like 1,3,4 months per time.
They are here now but have to go back “home” to finalize some things and finally move here for home.
The obvious question is about a realistic chance of things getting complicated with CBSA officer in these circumstances as there will be 1 year and 2-3 months until expiry date of the card.
Pne important caveat: the date of expiry of the card has nothing to do with calculation of the residency obligation, only the date of/fifth anniversary of landing matters at this juncture.

Realistic chances of no issues are close to nil if the [days in Canada before return] + [days remaining until Julu 2025 (fifth anniversary)] >= 730. (Or if you prefer, that their days outside of Canada since July 202 < 1095.)

[Side note for others: if not in first five years since first becoming a PR, then in the last five years.]

They might get asked, just show they're aware of the obligation and have enough days, and now they are returning to stay after finalizing things 'back home.' If the arithmetic is correct, nothing to worry about.

Since they will probably want to renew their PR card before long, this may be a good time to simply create (if they dn't have already) a table with all arrivals and departures. If they're uncomfortable with passport officers, they could carry a copy with them. Either way will be handy later (for PR and/or citizenship.)

Reactions: Ponga and MVP77

MVP77

Sep 5, 2019
Pne important caveat: the date of expiry of the card has nothing to do with calculation of the residency obligation, only the date of/fifth anniversary of landing matters at this juncture.

Realistic chances of no issues are close to nil if the [days in Canada before return] + [days remaining until Julu 2025 (fifth anniversary)] >= 730. (Or if you prefer, that their days outside of Canada since July 202 < 1095.)

[Side note for others: if not in first five years since first becoming a PR, then in the last five years.]

They might get asked, just show they're aware of the obligation and have enough days, and now they are returning to stay after finalizing things 'back home.' If the arithmetic is correct, nothing to worry about.

Since they will probably want to renew their PR card before long, this may be a good time to simply create (if they dn't have already) a table with all arrivals and departures. If they're uncomfortable with passport officers, they could carry a copy with them. Either way will be handy later (for PR and/or citizenship.)
Thanks a lot! I find your note about possibly being asked about being aware of RO requirements is very valuable! And the clarification of date of becoming a PR as well, thanks!
All days are very well tracked in excel file which will be printed to have with them when they return.
I also found that officer can’t do much as long as there is enough days from the arithmetic perspective as they must consider all days in 5 years pool. The concerning part is “if the officer suspects…” this is quite alarming….just need to run into an unexperienced or bad mood one to put them in trouble…or maybe I am just overthinking

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I also found that officer can’t do much as long as there is enough days from the arithmetic perspective as they must consider all days in 5 years pool. The concerning part is “if the officer suspects…” this is quite alarming….just need to run into an unexperienced or bad mood one to put them in trouble…or maybe I am just overthinking
You're overworrying, perhaps. It sounds to me like they are well organized and there is no reason for concern.

The only caveat, really, is if they should get held up and can't return as soon as they currently are planning.

Reactions: MVP77

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, wondering if anyone had complications in similar experience at port of entry.
I do acknowledge it’s quite individual and depends on the officer….but still, looking for someone to share similar experience. What documents or proofs would you suggest be ready to avoid escalation etc.
Thanks in advance!
It looks like they have a small buffer of a 1-2 months since your PR typically expires 2-3 months from the 5 years from their landing date. When did they land? As long as they meet their RO they will be fine but their palm doesn’t account for any unexpected emergency.

MVP77

Sep 5, 2019
It looks like they have a small buffer of a 1-2 months since your PR typically expires 2-3 months from the 5 years from their landing date. When did they land? As long as they meet their RO they will be fine but their palm doesn’t account for any unexpected emergency.
Thanks, just looked at the most updated days count and here how we stand:
Became PR on Jul 3, 2020
Days collected in Canada so far 372. Need to complete 358 until Jul 3, 2025.
Meaning, if they come on May 15, 2024 they will have 785 days in Canada by PR expiry (Jul 3, 2025).
Of course, the matter of emergency is a thing. Thanks for pointing it out.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks, just looked at the most updated days count and here how we stand:
Became PR on Jul 3, 2020
Days collected in Canada so far 372. Need to complete 358 until Jul 3, 2025.
Meaning, if they come on May 15, 2024 they will have 785 days in Canada by PR expiry (Jul 3, 2025).
Of course, the matter of emergency is a thing. Thanks for pointing it out.
Things could happen. It's better to leave some buffer and do not plan to come back just to have enough days to protentially meet their RO. Plus it's very hard and totally based on luck to get parents sponsored via PGP.
My personal opinion is to leave earlier than May 2024 to return. You have only 1.5 month buffer. Some times, you never know if things could change. (e.g. need another trip for a celebration or short vacation )

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78 and MVP77

MVP77

Sep 5, 2019
Things could happen. It's better to leave some buffer and do not plan to come back just to have enough days to protentially meet their RO. Plus it's very hard and totally based on luck to get parents sponsored via PGP.
My personal opinion is to leave earlier than May 2024 to return. You have only 1.5 month buffer. Some times, you never know if thing could change. (e.g. need another trip for a celebration or short vacation )
Agreed 100%! Trying to convince to make it as soon as possible

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agreed 100%! Trying to convince to make it as soon as possible
They also have to consider time after the first 5 years. They must continue to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day and you lose the initial landing days very quickly which is another reason to have buffer spots.

MVP77

Sep 5, 2019
They also have to consider time after the first 5 years. They must continue to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day and you lose the initial landing days very quickly which is another reason to have buffer spots.
Good point, thanks! Absolutely, we calculated that too. Good thing is that their first year since landing was 31 days only. The heavy periods of 3,4 months happened the following 3 years and still counting…

Reactions: canuck78