+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residence Questionnaire

Eric519

Feb 9, 2013
I have some questions about the residence questionnaire. I am a United States citizen, and obtained permanent residency in Canada through the skilled worker program after waiting several years. I resigned from my job in the United States in Cleveland and moved to Canada in 2009.

Although people recommend a "cushion" that exceeds 1,095 days, in my ignorance, I filed for citizenship with only a few days beyond the minimum 1,095 day requirement. Bottom line is, despite my stupidity in not researching these blogs prior to submitting my application for citizenship, I have fulfilled my requirement of residing in Canada for 1,095 days, even if not by much. That being said, I conscientiously declared each and every trip to the United States where I did not return that same day. I was honest, and thorough, and didn't conveniently "forget" to document any absences.

I was invited to write the test at the Windsor office this past December. I was concerned that there might be an issue, because I work in Detroit for the U.S. government. Also, everyone in my family lives in the US. Before writing the test, I chatted with a very pleasant and kind woman who interviewed me in Windsor, and she asked about my employment, and I told her that I worked in Detroit, and she stated she'd interviewed others who had done likewise. She stated everything looked good on my application, and strongly implied I'd be invited to be sworn in in February or March, with the caveat, "maximum of six months."
In mid January, out of the blue, I received a residence questionnaire asking me to fill out CIT0171, or the RQ and to return it to the Windsor office. My 45 days are winding down. Revenue Canada has mailed me my assessments for the past three years, and I have my lease, rent receipts, car, renters insurance, etc. I'm not going to "bomb" them with information, but rather, send a few rent receipts, utility bills, etc for each month. Also, I'll send them some copies of some of my receipts from Transit Windsor showing I've purchased monthly tunnel bus passes. Happy to send more if they should ask, I have every month in my possession.

I sent off to have OHIP send me my documents as soon as I got the RQ, but it's not looking hopeful that I'll receive them in time. I have, however, obtained a receipt for a visit to a dentist here in Windsor.

My desire to move to Canada is because Canadians values mirror mine much closer. I've always (since I was a teenager) wanted to spend the rest of my life in Canada, and decided to make it happen. I moved to Windsor not knowing anyone, starting from scratch. It was difficult, and lonely in the beginning, as I knew it would be, but my conviction to spend the rest of my life in Canada outweighed this price. I tried very hard to secure employment in Canada before moving here, but potential employers all but told me they wouldn't consider me unless I gave up my job and moved to Canada so they would be sure I was serious. Put another way, they didn't want to invest their resources interviewing a job candidate who might back out. I was afraid to resign my job in the hopes that someone would hire me. I would have, and still would rather work in Canada, but such an opportunity has not presented itself.

What is Windsor's track record in terms of how long this RQ might delay me? I truly have no idea why I was selected to receive this RQ after how well the interview went. Any advice as to what further substantiation to include with my RQ would be greatly appreciated.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Eric519 said:
What is Windsor's track record in terms of how long this RQ might delay me? I truly have no idea why I was selected to receive this RQ after how well the interview went. Any advice as to what further substantiation to include with my RQ would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your RQ.

The standard answer provided when asked about the time it takes to process an RQ is 48 months. Plan for the worst - hope for the best.

One reason why they give RQs, if I understand correctly, is when the applicant is suspected of not having close enough ties to Canada. In your case, presumably, the fact that your family and your job is in the US got you flagged.

Bummer... :(

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Surprising to see that even a westerner /US citizen is slapped with an RQ. Normally it is those who travel a lot or are unemployed when in Canada and/or come from certain parts of the world where more checks may be needed etc. I wonder if they are taking the RQ practice to the extreme now- and that too at a time when they are short-staffed.

But, sadly it is a bit of a vicious circle as well. There are not enough jobs, people get very frustrated, again, one has to live (survive?) and subsist. Many hold jobs in the States or elsewhere because there are simply not that many jobs here now - even fewer what with the budget cuts not only locally but globally. Add to that cuts in govt with fewer people taking on way more work loads. One hears of people in govt being sent letters that their job is being cut etc etc.

One wonders if this all began as a backlash to the time when they sniffed out a historical numbers of fraudsters who undeservedly got citizenship. And so now, everyone is paying the price and at a time when the world economy being grim isnt helping the situation much either.

Does that mean someone has to take on just some low paying or menial job here so that they have local experience - at any cost and so as not to get an RQ? Interesting times....sigh .....

LSP

Feb 21, 2013
Hi,

If one meets the requirement of 3 years residence in Canada within a period of 4 years to apply for Citizenship, will this person get a RQ?

If someone travels out of Canada after applying for citizenship will they be issued RQ for time after the application is accepted?

thanks

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
LSP said:
Hi,

If one meets the requirement of 3 years residence in Canada within a period of 4 years to apply for Citizenship, will this person get a RQ?

If someone travels out of Canada after applying for citizenship will they be issued RQ for time after the application is accepted?

thanks
There are documented cases that this is possible. It mustn't for suspicious reasons it can be for purely QA process health check. Unless the online status check doesn't reveal more details, nobody can tell.
We are going through difficult challenging times, the fun is over...

Mike