+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting original paper documents to accompany successful eTA application

Feb 9, 2018
Hi there,

Firstly, thank you in advance for listening to my problem, and I hope someone out there can help.

I recently arrived into Canada (Ontario) from the UK on a closed temporary foreign worker visa, and my wife and baby daughter have joined me - they have entered the country using the Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA), which allows them to stay for up to 6 months.

I have successfully applied for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) using my work permit, but my wife and child have had problems. ServiceOntario have told us that while my wife and child are both absolutely eligible for OHIP as my dependents, they require an original paper document, issued by immigration, as proof that they are allowed to stay in Canada. Because they arrived on an eTA, this did not come with any paperwork at all, as it is fully electronic and is linked to their passports. You can see how this presents a problem...

ServiceOntario have told us to contact immigration directly to request some kind of original document, but so far all attempts to contact them have been met with automated services (which give no relevant options), or simply a message stating that they are extremely busy and to call back later - I'm not even put on a call queue. (The number I am calling is 1-888-242-2100).

It surprises me that this issue hasn't been encountered before, and that ServiceOntario and Immigration haven't worked together to avoid these kinds of discrepancies. It is particularly worrying for us because if my 4-month-old baby can't receive OHIP coverage then her healthcare will become extremely expensive, all because of some red tape...

If anyone has any advice about what to do here, that would be extremely appreciated. As far as I can tell, the only option is to resolve the issue with immigration - I will of course keep trying to call them on the number above, but if anyone knows another way to get their attention, please let me know. Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation, maybe you can tell me what you did to resolve it?

Thank you for your help.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Would they accept the CBSA stamp in their passports as proof of legal entry into Canada? For eTA visitors, this is the only official document issued as far as I am aware. I suppose that they could have asked CBSA to issue a Visitor Record but this is not the normal case. You may still be able to request one.

Apparently, the only way to obtain one after passing through immigration is to use this method.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

This would meet the OHIP requirements.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018
From memory, I'm fairly certain that the representative at ServiceOntario saw the stamp but said it was not sufficient. However, it is possible that this was missed (she might have been looking for paper documents and didn't check the stamp properly). I will try to speak to them again and determine whether the stamp would actually be acceptable - this might require me speaking to someone in person as the telephone representatives are not particularly helpful with cases as specific as this. When I find out I will update with information.

By the way, do you think it is worth calling the CBSA customer services directly?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I updated my response. You may have to go via the link that I provided.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not that it helps the OPs situation but just to clarify that an ETA is only a permit to board a plane bound for Canada and is not a permit to enter the country for any period of time. For temporary residents/visitors the decision on how long someone is allowed to stay is made at the POE and nothing to do with having an approved ETA. So even showing an ETA approval would not be any indication someone has an authorised stay in the country.

Feb 9, 2018
Thanks for the info, Bs65. I can appreciate that a provincial body such as ServiceOntario therefore cannot accept the eTA as evidence of being allowed to stay in Canada. The only other information that my wife and child have as evidence that they were admitted to the country is the stamp in their passports, so from ServiceOntario's perspective it is a question of whether they accept that.

Also thank you zardoz for your help - my wife is currently going through the online application process now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the info, Bs65. I can appreciate that a provincial body such as ServiceOntario therefore cannot accept the eTA as evidence of being allowed to stay in Canada. The only other information that my wife and child have as evidence that they were admitted to the country is the stamp in their passports, so from ServiceOntario's perspective it is a question of whether they accept that.

Also thank you zardoz for your help - my wife is currently going through the online application process now.
What length of stay was granted to your family on arrival? What does the stamp say?

If you are near the border, flagpole and when re-entering, explain the situation and ask for Visitor Records for your family.

Feb 9, 2018
Unfortunately I don't have access to her passport right now but as far as I recall it only said the date of arrival (January 20th). I'll check when I get home today.

I hadn't considered the option of flagpoling - that might be a much quicker way to get hold of a document. However, I will need to check whether or not we are allowed to enter the U.S. by land (I think I remember something about that being stipulated at some point).

I'll get back to you as soon as I know these details.

Thanks everyone for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Unfortunately I don't have access to her passport right now but as far as I recall it only said the date of arrival (January 20th). I'll check when I get home today.

I hadn't considered the option of flagpoling - that might be a much quicker way to get hold of a document. However, I will need to check whether or not we are allowed to enter the U.S. by land (I think I remember something about that being stipulated at some point).

I'll get back to you as soon as I know these details.

Thanks everyone for your help!
If it was stamped with the date of arrival, the were only granted 6 months status.

You don't actually enter the US. You tell US CBP that you are flagpoling, they give you an administrator refusal and you go back to Canada.