+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reference letter

julie_van

Sep 1, 2010
I have a question re: an employer reference letter. I recently worked temporarily for a temp agency and they are giving me a really hard time as far as writing me this letter. They will give me the basic info but they will not go into in details. Further, they will not state the company I worked for since it is not their policy. I am getting my supervisor to write me a similar letter. Will these two letter together be sufficient enough for my PR application?

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Hi Julie,

I got my manager (supervisor) to write me the reference letter as suggested by our HR department. I say you try to get 1 complete letter from your supervisor instead of getting two. But its important to have the employment period, description of the position held, hours worked per week and salary in that letter. I know a lot of people have problem getting the company seal or a business card, you can always write a cover letter explaining that (you get what the company/supervisor can provide).

on a different note, its so surprising that so many people (including me) face problems getting this reference letter from the employers. Technically this is not a reference letter, rather a glorified employment verification or salary letter (which every company has to provide if requested by the employee). I dont know why the company's are so concerned while issuing such letter...

julie_van

Sep 1, 2010
this is not really an option since I was employed through a temp agency, therefore paid through the temp agency. The company I was working paid the temp agency (which was a different amount than I was getting paid) and my supervisor is not aware of this amount. One letter would definitely be easier and make my life a lot easier but unfortunately I'm not really able to do this.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
julie_van said:
this is not really an option since I was employed through a temp agency, therefore paid through the temp agency. The company I was working paid the temp agency (which was a different amount than I was getting paid) and my supervisor is not aware of this amount. One letter would definitely be easier and make my life a lot easier but unfortunately I'm not really able to do this.
If you really can't get a good reference letter stating your salary, position, duties and total work hours, ask your employer for a ROE (Record of Employment). An employer is obligated to give you a ROE once you terminate your employment. It is the same ROE that is sent to Service Canada should you require EI.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
julie_van said:
Isn't the ROE required regardless?
It looks like that on the checklist, doesn't it? Confusing for me, because I have had only one employer in Canada and I am still working for them. So, it's not possible for me to get an ROE, because they are only issued upon termination of employment. :)

julie_van

Sep 1, 2010
Oh-well I guess in your case you wouldn't include it and then just include your letter? I am including an ROE that only has 1 year of employment (even though I worked there for over 2 years) so my letter is my main supporting evidence of having been employed there for 2+ years. The directions on the application are so confusing. If you look at the guide and the application itself, the directions often don't match.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Agreed there are some discordances in instructions.

But I am concerned about the discordance betwen your your ROE that indicates only 1 year, while your letter of employment indicates two -

that means either your ROE is wrong and needs to be corrected (contact Service Canada for info)
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/employers/roe_duplicate.shtml

... or ... your letter indicating 2 + years needs to be supported by your T-4s that cover 2+ years... still could raise flags if the ROE doesn't match...