Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
Aal_ said:
How much are we talking about?
As low as you can imagine, and if you are desperate enough. I've seen an experienced back end Chinese web dev willing to accept a position for $33k/year, while a Canadian will not accept that position if it's less than $65k CAD which is still insultingly low if we compare with the US. As $65k CAD ~ $48k USD.

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
Test Completed: Jun 25th 2021
It is easier said that done!!! I have my resume everywhere you mentioned and on career portal of all companies I could think off!! I am getting calls from US companies but not Canadian!!

Problem Number One: I am a Business Analyst which is a client facing role and involves facing critical stakeholders when gathering IT requirements.....Based on my experience and my friends experience the easiest in IT industry here is to get a Tester role, then a Developer role and the toughest is Business Analyst.

Problem Number Two: To get an interview itself....Indian MNCs like TCS, Infosys etc have policies of only hiring PRs and citizens and Canadian companies mostly do not want to interview people with no Canadian experience.....the moment they know I am on an Open Work Permit they just back off.

Problem Number Three: People like me get an internship or a voluntary role with Nill or NO salary....just to gain Canadian experience but I have a toddler and if I have to do such jobs....I need to put her in a daycare and I need at least 2300 dollars for that.

We are waiting for the PR asap so that some of these obstacles vanish and also so that my husband can switch companies to get better salary than what he is getting currently though he is getting $80K.....Still not enough to support a family of three and the daycare costs.

I am just hanging in there....I am on the edge of giving up!!

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
KrispyKreamKonnoisseur said:
As low as you can imagine, and if you are desperate enough. I've seen an experienced back end Chinese web dev willing to accept a position for $33k/year, while a Canadian will not accept that position if it's less than $65k CAD which is still insultingly low if we compare with the US. As $65k CAD ~ $48k USD.
So as a software developer, you are saying there are jobs but I will be competing for salary? that's discouraging. :'(

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
msmahmood said:
I might be suggesting something you may have already done, I am not sure if you have already registered with Robert half, they may be able to find you an entry position somewhere. Make a monsters profile and keep it updated as well as linked in profiles, forgive me if these are redundant but they have proved useful to me. I personally found an abundant of IT jobs here in Toronto.
Not at all.....I welcome any suggestions I get and I would be happy to know if I am doing something wrong!! Yes I am with Robert Half!! There are a lot of IT roles in Toronto for developers and testers. Very few BA roles and if there are they will mostly want 8 plus years of experience. I am mostly told I am overqualified.

Salary is not a constraint believe me except for the fact that I mentioned above I have a toddler and I need at least that much to put her in a daycare!!

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
nidakh said:
It is easier said that done!!! I have my resume everywhere you mentioned and on career portal of all companies I could think off!! I am getting calls from US companies but not Canadian!!

Problem Number One: I am a Business Analyst which is a client facing role and involves facing critical stakeholders when gathering IT requirements.....Based on my experience and my friends experience the easiest in IT industry here is to get a Tester role, then a Developer role and the toughest is Business Analyst.

Problem Number Two: To get an interview itself....Indian MNCs like TCS, Infosys etc have policies of only hiring PRs and citizens and Canadian companies mostly do not want to interview people with no Canadian experience.....the moment they know I am on an Open Work Permit they just back off.

Problem Number Three: People like me get an internship or a voluntary role with Nill or NO salary....just to gain Canadian experience but I have a toddler and if I have to do such jobs....I need to put her in a daycare and I need at least 2300 dollars for that.

We are waiting for the PR asap so that some of these obstacles vanish and also so that my husband can switch companies to get better salary than what he is getting currently though he is getting $80K.....Still not enough to support a family of three and the daycare costs.

Of course, Tester / QA is the entry position for the dev world, but do you actually have any QA experience? since you said you are a Business Analyst? Have you checked out your local Craigslist, job section? some people think Craigslist is only to sell stuff, but their Job section is pretty big and has many good job ads from legit companies (they have to pay $50 to post a job ad). You also need a professional to look at your resume as well. You need to put important keywords in there to attract more recruiters or to pass the HR round.

In my current company, our IT dept alone has two Indian QAs and one .Net dev, one comes from US (H1-B), and other two from India.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Aal_ said:
So as a software developer, you are saying there are jobs but I will be competing for salary? that's discouraging. :'(
Well, yea... they aren't handing out high paying jobs. The market is still pretty terrible.

I worked over there as a retail supervisor as I couldn't find a suitable role.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
nidakh said:

80k $ is not enough for family of 3? You are killing me here guys.

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
kryt0n said:
Well, yea... they aren't handing out high paying jobs. The market is still pretty terrible.

I worked over there as a retail supervisor as I couldn't find a suitable role.
That's why I, as an immigrant myself, don't want the government to receive too many immigrants. The more immigrants you have, the lower the salary will be. I personally really hate those financial advisors who keep pushing for 450,000 quota, as I know they are just full of sh*t.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
nidakh said:
I am Inland sitting in my condo apartment for past 6 months with my toddler while my husband has been going to work from the day we landed here. The irony is he works in Canada on big projects but I have the Master's degree, IELTS score and the age to have a good CRS score, so I am the primary but no Canadian company will hire me because and I quote "I have no Canadian experience"

So you can understand why I am hyper! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :) :) :)
You probably wanna go to school in Canada after you get your PR.

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am slightly disconnected from the Dev/coding world as I am more into support and unix/linux server administration side.
I was hired by my company straight out of college for 50k which they have raised to 55. However, since I completed 1 year here, i get 2,3 job offers every week just with my updated linked in profile, some go even far as to say "what would make me consider a move".

Unfortunately, I can't move right now as my company is doing a lot for my PR, but i would be considering a move 6 months after getting a PR, would call that "loyalty period".

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
KrispyKreamKonnoisseur said:
Of course, Tester / QA is the entry position for the dev world, but do you actually have any QA experience? since you said you are a Business Analyst? Have you checked out your local Craigslist, job section? some people think Craigslist is only to sell stuff, but their Job section is pretty big and has many good job ads from legit companies (they have to pay $50 to post a job ad). You also need a professional to look at your resume as well. You need to put important keywords in there to attract more recruiters or to pass the HR round.

In my current company, our IT dept alone has two Indian QAs and one .Net dev, one comes from US (H1-B), and other two from India.
I responded already to your post but can't see it......to cut the long story short I am trying my best!

However I welcome your suggestions and I will definitely check craigslist!

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
nidakh said:
I responded already to your post but can't see it......to cut the long story short I am trying my best!
Try harder 8)

(...joking)

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nidakh said:

However I welcome your suggestions and I will definitely check craigslist!
if you have time, a college diploma with co-op will get you right back in.

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
aircanada said:
You probably wanna go to school in Canada after you get your PR.
That is my worst nightmare!