+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

R186(l) Working without a work permit.

leirbag

Jan 14, 2010
Hello!

I'm new in Canada and in this forum. My wife and I are here under her's student visa, and I hold a visitors visa. I just applied to the open work permit under her visa (since she's doing a masters).

This week I received a job offer (informal) from a church in my city. I worked as a pastor for 3 years in my country and have a diploma in the area. Today I read about this R186(l) that states that I can work without a work permit... but how should I proceed? I have to apply at Vegreville to this R186(l)? How do I get my SIN number if don't have a work permit? I need this church to do LMO? I'm completely lost. I'm also interested in take a masters my self, so I'm planning to request a study permit while I hold the R186(l).. is that possible? If you understand all that please try to help me!!

Thanks

Leirbag

leirbag

Jan 14, 2010
Hey PMM,

don't you know anything about that kind of visa? R186(l)... what do I have to do to have this visa?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

leirbag said:
Hey PMM,

don't you know anything about that kind of visa? R186(l)... what do I have to do to have this visa?
A letter from the Church outlining the job, note it has to be pastoral care

187(l)
"(l) as a person who is responsible for assisting a congregation or group in the achievement of its spiritual goals and whose main duties are to preach doctrine, perform functions related to gatherings of the congregation or group or provide spiritual counselling;

Proof that you have the qualifications, and apply through Vegreville for a work permit (which you don't need) but to get a SIN you will require a work permit (Catch 22) proof of your and your wife's status in Canada.

PMM

leirbag

Jan 14, 2010
you said I should "apply through Vegreville for a work permit (which you don't need) but to get a SIN you will require a work permit (Catch 22)"

But how I will apply to a work permit I don't need? ???
What is Catch 22?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
leirbag said:
you said I should "apply through Vegreville for a work permit (which you don't need) but to get a SIN you will require a work permit (Catch 22)"

But how I will apply to a work permit I don't need? ???
What is Catch 22?
Hi

You don't need a work permit to be able to work legally in Canada but you need the work permit so you can get a SIN. So it means you still have to apply for a work permit through CPC-Vegreville.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
But why do you have to apply for another work permit when you said you already have an open work permit? You can bring your open work permit to the Service Canada closest to you and apply for a SIN.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml

leirbag

Jan 14, 2010
job_seeker said:
Hi

You don't need a work permit to be able to work legally in Canada but you need the work permit so you can get a SIN. So it means you still have to apply for a work permit through CPC-Vegreville.
So I apply regularly trough the APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS, EXTEND MY STAY OR REMAIN IN CANADA form, sending to Vegreville all the documents supporting my request?? So I should request a work permit anyway?

(My open work permit has been already denied once, and I'm afraid that if they deny again I will have to try this R186(l)... I'm still waiting for CPC-Vegreville answer on my Open Permit Request.)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
leirbag said:
So I apply regularly trough the APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS, EXTEND MY STAY OR REMAIN IN CANADA form, sending to Vegreville all the documents supporting my request?? So I should request a work permit anyway?

(My open work permit has been already denied once, and I'm afraid that if they deny again I will have to try this R186(l)... I'm still waiting for CPC-Vegreville answer on my Open Permit Request.)
Oh sorry I thought I read in another post that you already had an open permit on account of your wife being a student. I misunderstood it. :( Anyway, you do what PMM has outlined in his post.

A letter from the Church outlining the job, note it has to be pastoral care

187(l)
"(l) as a person who is responsible for assisting a congregation or group in the achievement of its spiritual goals and whose main duties are to preach doctrine, perform functions related to gatherings of the congregation or group or provide spiritual counselling;

Proof that you have the qualifications, and apply through Vegreville for a work permit (which you don't need) but to get a SIN you will require a work permit (Catch 22) proof of your and your wife's status in Canada.

PMM
Oh and yes, submit form imm 1249e with the supporting documents and of course the cost recovery fee.

leirbag

Jan 14, 2010
job_seeker said:
Oh sorry I thought I read in another post that you already had an open permit on account of your wife being a student. I misunderstood it. :( Anyway, you do what PMM has outlined in his post.
Not yet, but I may get it. Thank you all!