+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about studying in canada, money and study permit

xero0xx

Sep 1, 2015
Hello, im in Canada right now and my friends are suggesting me to study here. Im 35, i believe I still fall under IEC Young profesionals program, but i also want to know everything about studying in Ontario.

Question is, since applying this year is possible to get full day of work with study permit, how much money do i need to have and show in my bank account given im accepted this year into 2years college program.

Do i need to have all money for studying (15k a year) so its 30k or do i need to have more?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, im in Canada right now and my friends are suggesting me to study here. Im 35, i believe I still fall under IEC Young profesionals program, but i also want to know everything about studying in Ontario.

Question is, since applying this year is possible to get full day of work with study permit, how much money do i need to have and show in my bank account given im accepted this year into 2years college program.

Do i need to have all money for studying (15k a year) so its 30k or do i need to have more?
So you have applied to IEC YP program with a job offer related to your field? What country are you from? 35 is usually the cut off.

For study permit, you need to get admission, show career and education advancement to justify costs, the program needs to expand on your career and show opportunities in home country, show ties to home country and funds. You can work 20 hours per week off campus.

You want to show a minimum of $10k in funds plus pay first year tuition. So for two year program, you need to show funds to support your studies.

Last edited:

xero0xx

Sep 1, 2015
So you have applied to IEC YP program with a job offer related to your field? What country are you from? 35 is usually the cut off.

For study permit, you need to get admission, show career and education advancement to justify costs, the program needs to expand on your career and show opportunities in home country, show ties to home country and funds. You can work 20 hours per week off campus.

You want to show a minimum of $10k in funds plus pay first year tuition. So for two year program, you need to show funds to support your studies.
Hello, thanks for answer.

In YP program it says 18-35 years (inclusive) so i guess im still in the gap.

My profession is surveyor or geomatics technician, i would take 2 year program for civil emgineer technician.

From Oct 22 to Dec 23 Canada increased working hours for off campus work. Im not sure how YP program works, but my friend has construction company and my profession is NoC 2255 Geomatics technician, which is tied to construction too. Ill try to get my YP first.

I wonder if i would be able to apply to PR if, lets say, i work one year full time in my field while studying etc.

They did it to address workforce shortage

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My profession is surveyor or geomatics technician, i would take 2 year program for civil emgineer technician.

From Oct 22 to Dec 23 Canada increased working hours for off campus work. Im not sure how YP program works, but my friend has construction company and my profession is NoC 2255 Geomatics technician, which is tied to construction too. Ill try to get my YP first.

I wonder if i would be able to apply to PR if, lets say, i work one year full time in my field while studying etc.

So you are not accepted into the YP program? What country are you from? You need to look at requirements and see if employer is eligible. Your education must match your NOC.

As for study permit, you can only work 20 hours. The full time hours were if you applied for your study permit before October 7, 2022.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If you want to be able to work full time, you need to go with the YP work permit.

A study permit will not allow you to work full time. The ship has sailed on that special policy.