+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on when to submit the application

Nazn73

Apr 2, 2019
Hello all,

My husband is a US citizen and I am in the process of trying to submit the Spousal sponsorship (family class). He visits me often and is currently in Canada on a visit. Is it alright to submit the application when he is visiting me? My concern is how to include this current travel in his travel history and visiting each other information as there is no end date to enter. Is it advisable to wait till he returns to US and then submit? Any advise in this regard will be helpful. Thank you!

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
If he lives in the USA and only visits, I would file an out of Canada application. Inland applications have no right to appeal if things go south. As for Travel history, You are only asked to provide details up until the date of submitting the application. You don't need to guess on future visits

Nazn73

Apr 2, 2019
If he lives in the USA and only visits, I would file an out of Canada application. Inland applications have no right to appeal if things go south. As for Travel history, You are only asked to provide details up until the date of submitting the application. You don't need to guess on future visits
Yes I am filing as out of Canada application.

My question is specifically if I can submit the out of Canada application while he is right now visiting me. For the current visit I am unable to provide an end date in the travel histpry as it will be in the future (end of May when he leaves Canada). Not mentioning this travel might be flagged as something not disclosed. Given that, is it still a good idea to submit while he is still here or should I wait till he returns to US before I submit the application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is specifically if I can submit the out of Canada application while he is right now visiting me. For the current visit I am unable to provide an end date in the travel histpry as it will be in the future (end of May when he leaves Canada). Not mentioning this travel might be flagged as something not disclosed. Given that, is it still a good idea to submit while he is still here or should I wait till he returns to US before I submit the application.
Yes, he can submit while in Canada. It won't really matter as long as he marks Family Class.

Note though: I don't believe US citizens have to submit the 5562 travel form. Not certain. When I check now, it says "if applicable" - and I think the only circumstances it would be applicalbe is if they also have some other citizenship or ... (some other reason I'm not aware of).

Reactions: YVR123 and Nazn73

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Also bear in mind that you will need to submit a police clearance certificate for him in your application for any country in which he has spent 6 months or more (which obviously includes his home country). Plus copies of his birth certificate and passport. So he will need these with him when he visits you.

Reactions: Nazn73

Nazn73

Apr 2, 2019
Yes, he can submit while in Canada. It won't really matter as long as he marks Family Class.

Note though: I don't believe US citizens have to submit the 5562 travel form. Not certain. When I check now, it says "if applicable" - and I think the only circumstances it would be applicalbe is if they also have some other citizenship or ... (some other reason I'm not aware of).
Thank you! You are right, travel history is not required for US citizen. That makes it much simpler to submit the application. Thanks again!

Reactions: armoured