+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question of PCC

JenineJac

Mar 8, 2018
Hello All,
I am currently living in Barcelona and have obtained my PCC from the Ministry of Justice here in BCN. I gather I need to send this PCC to the Min. of foreign affairs in Madrid for legalization and then translate the legalized version to English. Please let me know if my understanding is right. Really appreciate your help!

bharry0101

Nov 24, 2017
Hello, Embassy of Canada sent below to me, when I asked them the process. Hope this helps.
I've added my comments in Italics.

Embassy of Canada
Torre Espacio
Paseo de la Castellana, 259D
28046 Madrid
AUTHENTICATION OF SPANISH DOCUMENTS FOR USE IN CANADA
Authentication is not a common practice in Canada therefore the requirement to authenticate a document is determined by the authority to which the document is being submitted. Please contact the Canadian authority to whom the document will be submitted in order to confirm whether they require that the foreign document be authenticated for its use in Canada. Please note that only an original document bearing the signature of the competent authority may be authenticated. The norms established by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the authentication of official documents issued in Spain to be used abroad are the following:Birth/marriage/death certificates, certificate of “solteria”, criminal record check and notarial documents that have already been stamped by the Colegio de Notarios:
STEP 1 (You have to get the PCC obtained in Bcn authenticated with an original signature from the Ministry of Justice in Madrid. If I remember correctly no appointment is needed, but recheck)
Ministerio de Justicia
Plaza Jacinto Benavente, 3
28012 Madrid

University degrees:
STEP 1
Ministerio de Educación
Paseo del Prado, 28, Entreplanta
28014 Madrid
For other types of educational documents please consult the following link for further
instructions:http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/en/ServiciosAlCiudadano/SiEstasEnElExt
ranjero/Paginas/Legalizaciones.aspx

STEP 2 (Authenticate the document at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.)
Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación (MAEC)
Sección de Legalizaciones
(Address as of September 1st, 2017)
Calle Pechuán, 1
28002 Madrid
By appointment: Please visit the website below in order to access the online “cita previa” system to make an appointment: https://sede.maec.gob.es/pagina/index/directorio/cita_previa Ensure to print the “cita previa” confirmation receipt indicating your reference number and bring it to the appointment.
By registered mail:
Send the document(s) to be authenticated by registered mail along with a letter indicating your name and telephone number and a pre-paid pre-addressed “Postal Expres” envelope for the return shipping.
By hiring the services of a “gestor”:
You may hire the services of an official “gestor” in Spain for them to authenticate your
document(s) on your behalf.

Step2.1: Get the Authenticated document translated (list of sworn translators www.maec.es servicios al ciudadano, lista de traductores jurados)
Step2.2: Bring the document to Ministry of Foreign Affairs again to authenticate the translator's signature (I did not do this...)

STEP 3 (Authenticate the document at the Embassy of Canada in Madrid.)

The consular services of the country where the document will be submitted, in this case,
the consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Madrid:
Embassy of Canada
Torre Espacio
Paseo de la Castellana, 259D
28046 Madrid
No appointment required. walk in on Tuesday and Wednesday between 09:00-12 :30
The fee for an authentication is of 50 Canadian dollars payable by credit card. This fee
may be modified without notice.
The documents that are not written in English or in French have to be submitted with an
official translation to English or French.

P.S.: I have submitted my PR application to IRCC and yet to hear back from them

Last edited:
Reactions: JenineJac

Julie85

Jun 14, 2023
H
From what i understood reading various threads the steps are:
1. Get the PCC from Min of Justice authenticated with original signature using Modulo 790 form
2. Legalize it from Min of foreign affairs in Madrid
3. Get a sworn English translation done from a translator in Spain
4. Authenticate the PCC from Embassy of Canada in Madrid
5. Upload
My question is: Is step 4 really required? There are comments in threads from people who seem to NOT have done Step 4 and applied for eAPR/ITA successfully... Please clarify anyone?
Hello, did you get a reply concerning step 4? is the legalization really necessary?