+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Hanataha

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Thank you for your quick reply . Much appreciated. We live in Abu Dhabi and PRTD application is submitted this week . Do you think it will be approved to join fall 2021 classes ?from your experience . if Rejected can I immediate apply for student visa for him. I do not want to appeal if it rejects . I am left with 4 months . Thanks

Hi Cynthia, I am a Permanent resident since March 2015. I applied for PRTD last year September 2020 and got it after 2 weeks.
My PRTD is valid for 1 year with multiple entries. I applied in VFS Abu Dhabi.

u don't lose your PR status when you're PR card expired (as long as you comply with the residency obligation of 2 years)

I flew in Canada last month using PRTD and I'm in the process of submitting my Pr card renewal application.

pls can u let me know when he gets his PRTD? Thanks and good luck.

Reactions: Cynthia dcunha

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Hi thanks a lot for your response . Much relieved . I applied last week , as now there is vfs service due to covid I used one agent to apply . I need your contact number as to know the formality How to enter any procedure at the airport . and how to go about PR application after entering . He will be studying in ottawa . Glad to know PRTD allowed to enter during covid as tourist visa is closed . If I can’t travel with him he will go alone in august . If you don’t mind please give your contact number on dincyn@hotmail.com. Much appreciated and thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi thanks a lot for your response . Much relieved . I applied last week , as now there is vfs service due to covid I used one agent to apply . I need your contact number as to know the formality How to enter any procedure at the airport . and how to go about PR application after entering . He will be studying in ottawa . Glad to know PRTD allowed to enter during covid as tourist visa is closed . If I can’t travel with him he will go alone in august . If you don’t mind please give your contact number on dincyn@hotmail.com. Much appreciated and thanks
Don't book the airline tickets until you know the results of the PRTD application. Based on his profile, there is a significant chance the PRTD will be refused and he will need to apply for a study permit to be able to travel to Canada.

If you absolutely want to book tickets now, make sure they are refundable.

Good luck with the PRTD application.

Reactions: Cynthia dcunha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are in a very different situation and haven’t met RO so are are applying for PRTD with H&C. Timelines are very different.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Don't book the airline tickets until you know the results of the PRTD application. Based on his profile, there is a significant chance the PRTD will be refused and he will need to apply for a study permit to be able to travel to Canada.

If you absolutely want to book tickets now, make sure they are refundable.

Good luck with the PRTD application.
You are in a very different situation and haven’t met RO so are are applying for PRTD with H&C. Timelines are very different.
thank you for your response. Will wait to know about PRTD first prior to booking

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Good morning . It’s been 2 months I have applied for my sons PRTD in Abu Dhabi. It says under process . Till that is through my son will take online classes from Canadian university.

i néed some information those who travelled withPRTD.. at Canadian immigration or border officer what questions do they ask, as might have to travel alone . Once he is inside Canada he will stay with my daughter who is an international student there .Kindly share some info

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Good morning . It’s been 2 months I have applied for my sons PRTD in Abu Dhabi. It says under process . Till that is through my son will take online classes from Canadian university.
I reached out by email to apply for a PRTD two months ago. They still haven’t sent a passport request. They seem to be really slow right now, as it’s previously taken days.

i néed some information those who travelled withPRTD.. at Canadian immigration or border officer what questions do they ask, as might have to travel alone . Once he is inside Canada he will stay with my daughter who is an international student there .Kindly share some info
I’ve travelled 10-15 times using a PRTD as the primary document showing status. My experience has been that the Airlines are more likely to have issues with it (as they only have experience with the PR card), but I was permitted to board eventually (generally after everyone else).

As far as the border goes, I was treated the same as someone with a PR Card, with the exception of occasionally (2-3 times) getting a question about why I didn’t have a PR card instead. I answered truthfully that my PR Card was stolen, and they asked no further questions.

I have not used a H&C PRTD, so this is purely speculation, but they may ask him the same question as to why he has a PRTD instead of a card.

If he replies that he was out of the country when his card expired, and it was granted based on H&C grounds, I would not expect them to spend too much time on the matter. After all, someone already has looked at his case and made a determination, and if he was granted the PRTD outside Canada without having entered in the past year, that’s going to be a positive determination.

If he simply replies that he was outside the country when it expired, they may send him to secondary and spend time looking at his file. Again, since the case would already have been processed, I would expect them to look at it, maybe caution him about his residency obligation, then send him on his way.

If a PRTD is granted, I would strongly suggest he remain in Canada until he is in full compliance with the residency obligation without H&C reasons. Yes, H&C overcomes the current situation, but there is a significant risk of hassle at the border, even if he is granted a multiple entry PRTD.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
I reached out by email to apply for a PRTD two months ago. They still haven’t sent a passport request. They seem to be really slow right now, as it’s previously taken days.

I’ve travelled 10-15 times using a PRTD as the primary document showing status. My experience has been that the Airlines are more likely to have issues with it (as they only have experience with the PR card), but I was permitted to board eventually (generally after everyone else).

As far as the border goes, I was treated the same as someone with a PR Card, with the exception of occasionally (2-3 times) getting a question about why I didn’t have a PR card instead. I answered truthfully that my PR Card was stolen, and they asked no further questions.

I have not used a H&C PRTD, so this is purely speculation, but they may ask him the same question as to why he has a PRTD instead of a card.

If he replies that he was out of the country when his card expired, and it was granted based on H&C grounds, I would not expect them to spend too much time on the matter. After all, someone already has looked at his case and made a determination, and if he was granted the PRTD outside Canada without having entered in the past year, that’s going to be a positive determination.

If he simply replies that he was outside the country when it expired, they may send him to secondary and spend time looking at his file. Again, since the case would already have been processed, I would expect them to look at it, maybe caution him about his residency obligation, then send him on his way.

If a PRTD is granted, I would strongly suggest he remain in Canada until he is in full compliance with the residency obligation without H&C reasons. Yes, H&C overcomes the current situation, but there is a significant risk of hassle at the border, even if he is granted a multiple entry PRTD.
Thank you for your valuable time to reply in detail . Yes I m expecting one time entry PRTD if granted. He will stay in Canada till he meets obligatory requirements. Wait is only the option as he was minor when his dad returned from Canada hence he couldn’t go back . Let’s hope for the best. Thank you once again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

It is not unusual for PRTD based on H&C to take 6+ months. The university may want to see proof of his status before studying online if online studies are an option. If not you’ll need to pay international fees and risk having interrupted studies if he needs to apply for a study permit. Disrupted studies would lead to problems applying for PGWP. Would personally defer until you know the result of PRTD or study permit.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
It is not unusual for PRTD based on H&C to take 6+ months. The university may want to see proof of his status before studying online if online studies are an option. If not you’ll need to pay international fees and risk having interrupted studies if he needs to apply for a study permit. Disrupted studies would lead to problems applying for PGWP. Would personally defer until you know the result of PRTD or study permit.
Thank you for your valuable reply . As of now we have paid international fees . What we understand from the previous students who are travelled on PRTD , first year they have paid international student fees later from second year got changed to resident fees.

incase u get rejected for PRTD we Will be applying student visa, we have got all documents from university to apply . Thank you once again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your valuable reply . As of now we have paid international fees . What we understand from the previous students who are travelled on PRTD , first year they have paid international student fees later from second year got changed to resident fees.

incase u get rejected for PRTD we Will be applying student visa, we have got all documents from university to apply . Thank you once again
The big issue is if you get stuck with a rejected PRTD based on H&C but don’t have a study permit he may end up not being able to study continuously in order to qualify for PGWP. He also could potentially get rejected for a study permit then you’d lose a lot of money.

Tof44

Aug 16, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone guide me how to apply for PRTD?,

i was confused between question 14 and 15 of form 5524e,

Thank you in advance.

Seek

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Hi everyone !
I applied for PRTD on H&C Ground, removed as a minor case and It is approved and I have recently received PRTD RC-1 Category stamp on my passport.
I applied as an International student in OntarioTech University and got accepted. Now, as I have received my PR-TD, I emailed my University asking to change my status from International student to domestic student.
I attached following documents in that email :
1. Passport (New, with PR-TD stamp)
2. Passport (Old)
3. PR Card (Expired in 2013)
4. PR-TD Stamp ( alone)
5. CoPR (expired in 2013)
6. SIN Card
7. Health Card ( expired in 2012 )
Now the university emailed me back saying that they wont consider the expired documentation to change my status to domestic student.

However on the universities official website it is stated that,
Eligibility for domestic fees :
  • A person who has been granted permanent resident status in Canada within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Please suggest what should I do ?

Thanks in advance.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Hi everyone !
I applied for PRTD on H&C Ground, removed as a minor case and It is approved and I have recently received PRTD RC-1 Category stamp on my passport.
I applied as an International student in OntarioTech University and got accepted. Now, as I have received my PR-TD, I emailed my University asking to change my status from International student to domestic student.
I attached following documents in that email :
1. Passport (New, with PR-TD stamp)
2. Passport (Old)
3. PR Card (Expired in 2013)
4. PR-TD Stamp ( alone)
5. CoPR (expired in 2013)
6. SIN Card
7. Health Card ( expired in 2012 )
Now the university emailed me back saying that they wont consider the expired documentation to change my status to domestic student.

However on the universities official website it is stated that,
Eligibility for domestic fees :
  • A person who has been granted permanent resident status in Canada within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Please suggest what should I do ?

Thanks in advance.
How much time it took to grant PRTD , I’m which country you applied . I have applied for my son it’s been three months . So far no update .
As far as know one of my friends daughter went similar way paid international fees first year. Later once GOTZ pr changed to domestic