+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Residency for Minors for PR Card renewal application

laratamamey

Dec 5, 2010
Hi everyone, my wife, my 17 year old daughter and myself are applying online to renew our cards. Because it is online, each application has to be done "separately". We will submit one after the other but they are submitted separetely.

According to Appendix A, for proof of residency obligation you need to submit two of the following:
  • employment records or pay stubs;
  • bank statements;
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
  • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
  • rental agreements;
  • club memberships;
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
A minor usually doesn't have any of that. On my application I am sending Notice of Assessments and rental agreements. Should I include the same documents on her application? And perhaps include an explanation uploading the document type "Letter of Explanation"?

From the documents listed above, all she has is youth bank account that she opened only a year ago when she got a summer job.

Unrelated to minor, would be great to hear if someone has submitted an online application and actually sent a photo of the destroyed PR card. On this page it says it says "
If you’re applying to renew your PR card, provide a photo of your destroyed PR card." but on the actual application process, in the document upload section you only have "PR Card (front and back" so it is quite confusing and destroying the card before receiving a new seems bizarre.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Unrelated to minor, would be great to hear if someone has submitted an online application and actually sent a photo of the destroyed PR card. On this page it says it says "
If you’re applying to renew your PR card, provide a photo of your destroyed PR card." but on the actual application process, in the document upload section you only have "PR Card (front and back" so it is quite confusing and destroying the card before receiving a new seems bizarre.
There are questions from members here to this new instruction. Most of us do not think that you need to destroy PR cards that's still valid and you are only applying for rewnewal.

So hold off doing that .. and hopefully, there will be a clear answer for this new instruction. (it's suspected to be a mistake in the instruction online)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, my wife, my 17 year old daughter and myself are applying online to renew our cards. Because it is online, each application has to be done "separately". We will submit one after the other but they are submitted separetely.

According to Appendix A, for proof of residency obligation you need to submit two of the following:
  • employment records or pay stubs;
  • bank statements;
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
  • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
  • rental agreements;
  • club memberships;
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
A minor usually doesn't have any of that. On my application I am sending Notice of Assessments and rental agreements. Should I include the same documents on her application? And perhaps include an explanation uploading the document type "Letter of Explanation"?

From the documents listed above, all she has is youth bank account that she opened only a year ago when she got a summer job.

Things like attendance record at a school in Canada is typically what is used for proof for children.

Reactions: laratamamey

KumarRajesh

Apr 23, 2024
What if the minor has not or recently started his schooling?

I need to apply for my minor son's PR renewal and citizenship. But I am struggling to find what other types of proofs may work for minors? His schooling and day care attendance is not adding up to 2 years for PR renewal. I know the residency requirement for citizenship is 3 years.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019

I need to apply for my minor son's PR renewal and citizenship. But I am struggling to find what other types of proofs may work for minors? His schooling and day care attendance is not adding up to 2 years for PR renewal. I know the residency requirement for citizenship is 3 years.
It doesn't need to cover the full two years. You just need two pieces of evidence, which can be from a point of time in the last five years. This is for PR renewal. Unsure of requirements for citizenship.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Let's distinguish here: has the child actually been in Canada more than 730 days/out of Canada less than 1095 days? The primary evidence for that is the travel record - where you don't show any docs, you just swear (by signature) that it's true.

After that, all you have to show is evidence that the PR resided in Canada _at all_. But this time, you provide a document of some kind. The dates don't have to add up, they'll ask for more if they want. Schooling records should be enough.

KumarRajesh

Apr 23, 2024
I had applied for the citizenship for my son. His current school provided us a document mentioning he has been with the school since a specific date. It also attached office index card (Gender, DoB, school address, parents names, custody etc.) and sessions' start and end dates (high level attendance) of respective grades for his previous schools. But IRCC informed us that the application is incomplete and asked us reason why we dont have photocopies of his school records.

Could someone please guide how to resolve the issue? While we are rechecking with the school, we are not hopeful of getting any further substantial information considering we already tried that in past.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had applied for the citizenship for my son. His current school provided us a document mentioning he has been with the school since a specific date. It also attached office index card (Gender, DoB, school address, parents names, custody etc.) and sessions' start and end dates (high level attendance) of respective grades for his previous schools. But IRCC informed us that the application is incomplete and asked us reason why we dont have photocopies of his school records.

Could someone please guide how to resolve the issue? While we are rechecking with the school, we are not hopeful of getting any further substantial information considering we already tried that in past.
Honestly sometimes they make mistakes or do not understand what was submitted or just missed it.

My suggestion would be to resubmit the same documentation and say "these are his school records, we submitted before, is there something additional you need?". Obviously if you can think of anything additional to submit with the school record, all the better.

Personally I would then contact MP's office and ask for assistance/information, stating you did submit but perhaps misunderstood, can they check with IRCC to see if that is what was needed?

KumarRajesh

Apr 23, 2024
Thanks, @armoured!

I again reached out to his school and surprisingly got some additional documents this time. I consolidated all the school records and re-submitted the application. Hopefully, it works out well this time. If there is still some issue, I will reach out to the MP's office too.

Reactions: armoured

Ellabear

Apr 8, 2016
Category........
PNP
IELTS Request
Already Tested
Interview........
27-05-2016 (Skype)
My minor children are currently OUT of canada and pr cards will expire in few months but I am in Canada, can i renew their pr cards? They have met the required residency days. Thanks!

Ellabear

Apr 8, 2016
Category........
PNP
IELTS Request
Already Tested
Interview........
27-05-2016 (Skype)
Apply PRTD from outside as long as they meet their RO.
They meet the RO, but the thing is they will be back on 2025 march which is after a year. Our rolling years is 2019-2024, will that be ok still to apply for PRTD? Thanks