+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Hello everyone, im looking for a little insight if anyone can provide any :)

I applied for Proof of Canadian Citizenship (through descent, mother was born canadian) inside the US and received notice my application status was changed to approved. It also says to check messages, but I have not received any in my portal or my email. Would my certificate be mailed without a letter from them SAYING it’s been mailed? I received notice on 3/08/2024 but my application was approved 2/19/2024. Just wondering if i should be watching the mail if they haven’t specifically notified me that they’ve mailed it. Thanks!
Check online for status. It should say when the certificate was mailed.

alenabalyeat

Dec 15, 2023
Check online for status. It should say when the certificate was mailed.
I checked everyday, and there was no information on when it was mailed. It did come on Friday last week, so I have it, but was never notified it was mailed. So, just a heads up for whoever may be waiting :)

ks68

Jul 1, 2024
Just in case someone is interested in knowing about the timeline (processing time) for "Proof of Canadian Citizenship (Certificate)" under "Urgent Processing"....
I am a Canadian Citizen and I applied for the proof of Canadian Citizenship (i.e. the Citizenship Certificate) for my son born in India under urgent medical scenario on June 03, 2024.

Then since the photo of my son didn't meet the requirements, on June 10, 2024, I got the email "Request Letter" in my CIC online account asking to provide a new photo that meets the requirements. I uploaded that the next day.

On June 13, 2024, my application was approved and on June 14, 2024, I was able to see the citizenship certificate details in my CIC online account.
Then on Wednesday June 26, 2024, I received the original Canadian Citizenship Certificate via canada post delivered to my Toronto address.

So all-in-all it took about 3 weeks from the date of application (for a physical certificate) to the delivery of it at a Canadian address under urgent processing request.

Hopefully someone will find this useful!

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
Update to my own urgent processing application. Applied through my consulate 5 weeks ago and now and no AOR. This is a non-standard case. It's possible for it to take a long time since the FGL rule is up in the air and the application depends on a constitutional exception – something yet to be defined.

I don't see other people here who have applied under the FGL unconstitutionality stay extension on July 19th so I am posting my timeline. The Proof of Citizenship form used to apply doesn't consider the possibility for the pathway of my toddler, so it isdefinitely possible it gets kicked back and they ask for a new form to be filled out. On August 2nd there is a hearing and the government will ask the court for more time in the stay that is likely to be granted, but they must also come up with a better plan for urgent applications.

The judge said between the lines that basically every application is considered urgent as constitutional rights are being denied. It is likely the government will consider applications pending that ask for urgent processing with much more liberal terms than before. Those in the queue waiting for C-71 will likely remain for those with no urgency as the timeline isn't outrageous to wait a few more months for many. On August 9th she will render a ruling on the matter. I will follow up about the AOR in the week after that.

Perhaps they are just shrugging until then, which is entirely reasonable given the complexity and unclarity. However, the onus is on the IRCC to figure things out. I hope my application will kick their tails into gear with the arguments I raise.

Also, I recently received a reply from the opposition on the matter of citizenship policy. I called them more or less morons for opposing C-71 without proposing reasonable amendments, and outlined why, so it was nice to get a response basically acknowledging my points made despite the tone. I've made more friends in my life with insults than I have compliments, so I'd say I'm off to a good start with the next government. :cool:

By August 7th we should have an updated processing timeline on Proof of Citizenship. I suspect it's going to ramp up and double by the end of the year given the politics in the US. Many who threaten to leave for Canada now will have the chance to do so legally!

hello3241

Aug 9, 2024
Hello,

I have applied for my new born son's citizenship certificate online on the 28th of June 2024. Its been around 6 weeks and we have still not received AOR or the UCI number either.

The application status just shows that it has been transmitted to the IRCC and is in process. What is the timeline for these applications from someone residing outside of Canada.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I have applied for my new born son's citizenship certificate online on the 28th of June 2024. Its been around 6 weeks and we have still not received AOR or the UCI number either.

The application status just shows that it has been transmitted to the IRCC and is in process. What is the timeline for these applications from someone residing outside of Canada.
Use the check processing timeline tool provided by IRCC. Looks like it's 6-8 months processing from outside Canada/USA

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
I am not sure how to contact IRCC without UCI. That's the bare minimum thing you need to do a search in the system and also to get a agent on the call.
You should be able to call in, and there is an option if you do *not* have a UCI, and then follow the prompts. They will ask for other identifying information - Hopefully that helps.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. Im just trying to figure out the correct number to call from outside of Canada.

By the way is it normal not to have received AOR and UCI number from the IRCC even 6 weeks after the submission of online application for citizenship certificate?
Not sure as not many experiences are shared in the forum for certificate. For citizenship application it is pretty odd.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for the info. Im just trying to figure out the correct number to call from outside of Canada.

By the way is it normal not to have received AOR and UCI number from the IRCC even 6 weeks after the submission of online application for citizenship certificate?
Try Skype with the 1-888-247-2100 number or 1-613-944-4000

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
Use the check processing timeline tool provided by IRCC. Looks like it's 6-8 months processing from outside Canada/USA
That's to account for diplomatic post which runs monthly at a lot of places or slower. I got an AOR in six weeks (three weeks after mail went out) after I dropped it off in June. Still can't check online, but it's for something subject to the FGL.

E-certificates are just sent instantly. Normal processing time now is about 10 weeks from when they receive it, so a little less than 2 months from the AOR right now for easy cases I've heard.

Also, on the FGL applications there's not going to be any grants or exceptions. The ruling wasn't favorable for that at the beginning of the month, but seems like they are just waiting for C-71 and it will be approved.