+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Spousal Open Work Permit

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

I applied for a study permit on March 18 for myself along with a spousal open-work permit for my common-law partner to accompany me in Canada. Both applications were done online. While my study permit was quickly approved after only a couple of weeks, my partner's application is still being processed after nearly 3 months of waiting. I would like to know if there is anybody here who's in a similar situation to mine. If so, when did you apply and how long have you been waiting? I tried to get a friend of mine who's living in Canada to contact the Call center, but all they seem to be able to say is that the application is processing, which doesn't really help. That's why I'm turning to this forum to have a better idea of the kind of time frame I should be expecting. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Jun 14, 2013
In case it is of any help for any of you, we finally got an answer yesterday (June 14th) saying that a decision had been made and requesting his passport. Although they don't say whether it's positive, we're assuming it is since they're asking for the passport. I would now have a question regarding the visa application. He is from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada. Now that they have his passport, are they gonna process his visa at the same time they formally approve his open work permit, or will we have to send his passport again once we have it back in order for them to take care of the visa part? If they do his visa at the same time as the formal approval of his permit, are they gonna ask him which type of visa he wants (single or multiple-entry visa) or just pick one for him?

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Hey ,

I am new to this forum m also in the same condition , as wife is in canada on study permit and i have applied open work permit for me and it's about more than 2 months, could you please let me know what is the result of your spouse, has he get the visa for the same validity of your passport.

Could you please let me know from which country or city u have applied to..

One thing at the time of submit the file your spouse has given the passport along with the file or now they are asking for the passport..

Regards
Raj

Jun 14, 2013
Since it took nearly 3 months for us to get an answer, it looks like you're gonna have to wait a little longer before they answer you. I know that the validity of his permit will be the same as that of my study permit (3 years in our case). I'm not sure what the validity of the visa will be though since we haven't gotten it yet.

We're applying from the US (in Los Angeles).

We received the passport request only after waiting for 3 months. I guess they don't even ask for it if they deny the applicant.

Hope that helps.

dishy

Mar 26, 2013
prospectiveimmigrant said:
Since it took nearly 3 months for us to get an answer, it looks like you're gonna have to wait a little longer before they answer you. I know that the validity of his permit will be the same as that of my study permit (3 years in our case). I'm not sure what the validity of the visa will be though since we haven't gotten it yet.

We're applying from the US (in Los Angeles).

We received the passport request only after waiting for 3 months. I guess they don't even ask for it if they deny the applicant.

Hope that helps.
Hi,
I am currently waiting myself and I want to know if your application was eventually successful

accountant28

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Everyone. I'm planning to study in canada and bring my common law partner. Can you share me how you processed your application?

I will submit my study permit application together with her open work permit application right? how bout the TRV application? should i complete a separate complete package for TRV? or i just need to fill out the "schedule 1 - application for TRV" which is one form in the study permit application package?

Prospectiveimmigrant - i have the same plan as yours, i hope you can help me.

accountant28

Aug 4, 2014
By the way, regarding the SPOUSAL OPEN WORK PERMIT of my common law partner, what are the documents/requirements that she needs to submit?

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
Anyone applied SOWP online recently, please reply with your timeline

dip.j

Jul 10, 2016
hello,
my husband have temporary work permit and he applied for me as a spouse open work permit he applied from canada as per our information it will take around 9 weeks to get answer from immigration office but it is around more than that he applied on 19th of april 2016.
is there any one else here of the same.
please help us to know how long it will take.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
dip.j,

u need to check with MP's office where ur spouse is residing in canada. as well as u can contact the high commissioner from cic india website thats all wat others r trying now. even i found thru MP myfile is for further review. i dnt no y but no set timeline for this anymore but waiting only