+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Spousal Open Work Permit

linats

Aug 23, 2016
Hi all,

Did you apply for the SOWP when both of you were in Canada? My common law partner also got a study work permit (approved about a month ago). The immigration officer told him that we can apply for my SOWP later. I don't understand, does he have to be in Canada for me to be able to apply? Should I apply from Europe and go to Canada when/if it is approved? Or do I need to be in Canada on a visitor visa?

Thanks a lot!

bmm651

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
prospectiveimmigrant said:
Hi,

I applied for a study permit on March 18 for myself along with a spousal open-work permit for my common-law partner to accompany me in Canada. Both applications were done online. While my study permit was quickly approved after only a couple of weeks, my partner's application is still being processed after nearly 3 months of waiting. I would like to know if there is anybody here who's in a similar situation to mine. If so, when did you apply and how long have you been waiting? I tried to get a friend of mine who's living in Canada to contact the Call center, but all they seem to be able to say is that the application is processing, which doesn't really help. That's why I'm turning to this forum to have a better idea of the kind of time frame I should be expecting. Thank you in advance for your answers.
i hv similar prob... my husbund waiting from 6 feb 2017...
almost 1.5 months dont know.... guide me when u got spouse wp?