+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR residency obligation and oath ceremony

Venushides

May 31, 2024
I am currently living outside of Canada and have been outside of Canada for almost 700 days in past 5 year. My LLP is already green and just oath is pending.

If I don't go to Canada to maintain my PR obligation, will that be a problem?

Does anyone have similar experience?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am currently living outside of Canada and have been outside of Canada for almost 700 days in past 5 year. My LLP is already green and just oath is pending.

If I don't go to Canada to maintain my PR obligation, will that be a problem?

Does anyone have similar experience?
When is your PR going to expire?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Being a PR is a citizenship application requirement. It would be a problem if there was a risk of residence breach, but you've been in Canada for pretty much a year more than the needed 2 years out of 5, so you'll be fine, unless IRCC forgets about your citizenship for another year...

Venushides

May 31, 2024
I have 700 days in last 5 years. I think I will get oath within 2-3 months. Let's assume I get oath in August, at that time I will not have 730 days in past year but since my LLP is completed. Does it matter?

Being a PR is a citizenship application requirement. It would be a problem if there was a risk of residence breach, but you've been in Canada for pretty much a year more than the needed 2 years out of 5, so you'll be fine, unless IRCC forgets about your citizenship for another year...

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I have 700 days in last 5 years. I think I will get oath within 2-3 months. Let's assume I get oath in August, at that time I will not have 730 days in past year but since my LLP is completed. Does it matter?
My previous message already answers you.
730 days outside Canada still doesn't put you in a residency breach situation, as you'll have the other 3 years out of 5 within the country. You have a year buffer.

Reactions: Venushides