+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Vacation time spent outside Canada

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
Hi all,

I'm currently going through the paperwork that's involved in renewing my PR card. I understand for the renewal of PR cards I have to have a minimum of 730 days in the country. In calculating the days living in the country, I was wondering if days spent on vacation outside the country can be included? Technically during that time Canada is where I live and work and I'm temporarily out of the country which is different to time spent living outside the country, or do they make that difference?

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kennykill said:
Hi all,

I'm currently going through the paperwork that's involved in renewing my PR card. I understand for the renewal of PR cards I have to have a minimum of 730 days in the country. In calculating the days living in the country, I was wondering if days spent on vacation outside the country can be included? Technically during that time Canada is where I live and work and I'm temporarily out of the country which is different to time spent living outside the country, or do they make that difference?

Thanks!
Nice try, but no cigar. You can't include time outside Canada, unless your employer transfer you abroad, or you work with military, Provincial or Federal Gov'ts abroad.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If your spouse is a Canadian citizen and you are traveling with him/her, that counts also.

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
Sadly my spouse wasn't Canadian at the times I was on vacation.

I've another question, from going through the cic website about working outside of the country the following is quoted;

"as a term of your employment or contract, you are assigned on a full-time basis to:
  • a position outside Canada
  • an affiliated enterprise outside Canada or
  • a client of the Canadian business or the public service outside Canada"

Do you know if this relates to employees that are temporarily working outside of canada? There's a likelihood that I will be sent abroad in the next couple of months to help out in one of our Australian offices but this is just temporary, 1-2 months. Can this time count towards my 730 day obligation or as it's a temporary relocation it is just viewed as being outside the country and can not be used towards my 730 day obligation?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kennykill said:
Sadly my spouse wasn't Canadian at the times I was on vacation.

I've another question, from going through the cic website about working outside of the country the following is quoted;

"as a term of your employment or contract, you are assigned on a full-time basis to:
  • a position outside Canada
  • an affiliated enterprise outside Canada or
  • a client of the Canadian business or the public service outside Canada"

Do you know if this relates to employees that are temporarily working outside of canada? There's a likelihood that I will be sent abroad in the next couple of months to help out in one of our Australian offices but this is just temporary, 1-2 months. Can this time count towards my 730 day obligation or as it's a temporary relocation it is just viewed as being outside the country and can not be used towards my 730 day obligation?
Looking a little deeper into other documents, you will find that in order to count days working for a Canadian employer outside Canada, you must be posted to a full time position abroad. Business trips do not count.

You can read about this and more in this immigration manual known as OP 10: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for that Leon.

I'm not sure what defines a business trip, but I'll be working the same role in Australia but will still be paid and taxed here in Canada. I guess maybe if I'm being paid and taxed here it's determined to be just a business trip.

I'll check out the link you sent and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kennykill said:
Thanks for that Leon.

I'm not sure what defines a business trip, but I'll be working the same role in Australia but will still be paid and taxed here in Canada. I guess maybe if I'm being paid and taxed here it's determined to be just a business trip.

I'll check out the link you sent and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.
You would have to be moved to a role outside of Canada for the time outside of Canada to count. What you're describing is a long business trip - not a relocation.