+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Received-Travel Requirements from Australia

Shori

Apr 18, 2017
Hi all,

My partner and I are Australian citizens and received our PR a few months ago. To activate our residency we are planning to make an entry into Canada before our medicals expire end of Feb in 2018. As I understand this will give us 5yr to make the move to Canada.

We have both each received Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) paper work.
Since we hold Australian passports (visa-exempt country), I just want to confirm that in order to travel to Canada we just need to carry our passports and the COPR?
When we get to the airport we need to present the COPR to the immigration?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Shori

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just one correction in your assumptions after your initial landing you must be resident in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the first 5 years or risk losing your PR status. So in effect you can stay away for near 3 years but no longer without failing your residency obligation. If for example you did stay away for those initial 3 years then when you return you would need to stay for 2 years without leaving at all.

After the initial 5 year period it becomes a rolling 5 years where you needed to have accumulated 730 days in the preceeding years.

Shori

Apr 18, 2017
Just one correction in your assumptions after your initial landing you must be resident in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the first 5 years or risk losing your PR status. So in effect you can stay away for near 3 years but no longer without failing your residency obligation. If for example you did stay away for those initial 3 years then when you return you would need to stay for 2 years without leaving at all.

After the initial 5 year period it becomes a rolling 5 years where you needed to have accumulated 730 days in the preceeding years.
Thanks Bs65,

So, is my understanding above correct in terms of making the entry next yr. to activate the residency?