+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CEC: Ready for visa, passports sent, work permit expiring in a week

Maozefang

Jul 7, 2014
Hello all,

I have finally received the ever so coveted "Ready for Visa" email. My work permit is expiring on December 2nd. I am going to launch my bridging work permit application anyway by fears of an interruption of status.

However, what troubles me is the contradictory information received from the CIC call centre on two different calls:
1) apply for bridging work permit, your passports will return first and you can then cancel the BOWP app
2) apply for BOWP, your passports will ONLY be returned once the BOWP is obtained

Does anyone know for sure what I should expect?

Thanks.

rajapr17

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Maozefang said:
Hello all,

I have finally received the ever so coveted "Ready for Visa" email. My work permit is expiring on December 2nd. I am going to launch my bridging work permit application anyway by fears of an interruption of status.

However, what troubles me is the contradictory information received from the CIC call centre on two different calls:
1) apply for bridging work permit, your passports will return first and you can then cancel the BOWP app
2) apply for BOWP, your passports will ONLY be returned once the BOWP is obtained

Does anyone know for sure what I should expect?

Thanks.
Hi Maozefang ,
I am also on the same timelines and my current WP is expiring on 30-Nov and I am waiting for my passport(reached ottawa on 1-Nov).
When I called, customer care, they told me that I can wait till last 1 or 2 days and then apply for BoWp.
This news where you have mentioned that passport will hold till BoWp receives, I am not sure about.
Its better to call the call center again and double check.

Thanks.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
If I were on your place I would play safe and apply for bowp online right away and send passport for PR visa.
In you scenario, your PR application is not fully processed until you get your passport back with counterfoil on it.

Maozefang

Jul 7, 2014
se7en said:
If I were on your place I would play safe and apply for bowp online right away and send passport for PR visa.
In you scenario, your PR application is not fully processed until you get your passport back with counterfoil on it.
Thanks for the feedback.
I agree and that's what I was planning to do all along. Was just thrown off by the second version ffrom the CIC Associate.

rajapr17 said:
Hi Maozefang ,
I am also on the same timelines and my current WP is expiring on 30-Nov and I am waiting for my passport(reached ottawa on 1-Nov).
When I called, customer care, they told me that I can wait till last 1 or 2 days and then apply for BoWp.
This news where you have mentioned that passport will hold till BoWp receives, I am not sure about.
Its better to call the call center again and double check.

Thanks.
Well my friend, I wish us both a short wait. :)