+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Returns

Karem_grey

Jul 10, 2024
Hello everyone. I am dire need of suggestions.

I landed in Canada in January'24 on spousal application. According to IRCC, they had sent my PR card in Feb'24 which i never received.

Moving forward, I got separated from my husband in April 2024 and have been living in a different city. I tried updating the address but every other time i call ircc, the address is the old one where my husband resides. IRCC dispatched my 2nd PR card 3 weeks ago. When i contacted them the date they dispatched the card they confirmed it has been dispatched to the new address. Today I contacted them again to which they told me they have sent it to my husband's address. I am unable to get a confirmation to which address have they dispatched it to. My husband has been trying to sabotage my PR and has been sending in renunciation forms under my name.

Is it possible if my pr card is sent to his address he can cut it in half and send it back to IRCC renouncing it using my name?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your husband is receiving your mail and not forwarding it to you, contact the police.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your husband is receiving your mail and not forwarding it to you, contact the police.
In an ideal world, good advice, BUT: chances are the police won't do anything about it. Perhaps if there is a hint of violence, but if in another city, probably put down as low priority.

Note that even if it is not violent, it can still be a form of spousal abuse, to attempt to intimidate them with 'immigration' problems and the like.

More to the point: go to Canada Post and pay for the service to have all mail addressed to recipient forwarded.

Note: it is possible Canada Post won't do it (if IRCC has it stamped 'do not forward' or whatever). If so, it'll get returned to IRCC.

So apply again to iRCC, WITH new address, for the new PR card.

Then contact your MP and ask for assistance. Specify clearly that IRCC has NOT changed your address despite repeated requests, and it is putting you at risk. Explain about the potential renunciation.

Also complain to IRCC about the point that you believe spouse is attempting to renounce on your behalf etc. Note, also emphasize: if your spouse EVER signs anything claiming to be you without your knowledge or permission, that is a serious crime; if you get any evidence of this, take it to the police, too.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Agree and the husband should contact IRCC and report immigration fraud.
If the husband believes that, sure, he can report it. After that, it is between IRCC and the OP.

The husband still has no right to keep the OP's official mail.

However, if he is trying to file false renunciation applications and the like, that is fraud and intimidation.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In an ideal world, good advice, BUT: chances are the police won't do anything about it. Perhaps if there is a hint of violence, but if in another city, probably put down as low priority.
Retaining (or taking) mail that is not addressed to, or meant for, anyone other than the OP would be a crime, right?

I get the point you're making, but it's still a crime.

https://www.criminalcodehelp.ca/offences/against-property/mail-theft/

Mail Theft: Although it may seem to be an insignificant crime to some, mail fraud can land you in jail for up to 10 years. Police report that stolen mail can be used in identity theft scams. As well, credit cards can be stolen and cheques can be taken and altered before being cashed. Every year, mail theft rings are responsible for breaking into Canada Post mailboxes. Mail and packages are also taken from residential mailboxes. Under s.356 of the Criminal Code anyone who steals anything sent by post faces conviction.

Mail theft is treated as a hybrid offence. How the Crown decides to proceed will depend on the seriousness of the offence, the number of victims and if you have a criminal record. A Summary offence is for less serious crimes such as thefts under $5,000, while an indictable offence include murder, sexual assault and aggravated assault and carry much harsher penalties upon conviction.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Retaining (or taking) mail that is not addressed to, or meant for, anyone other than the OP would be a crime, right?

I get the point you're making, but it's still a crime.
Fully agree. Only that the point I was making is ... just the point I was making, is that despite it being a crime, police are unlikely to act. They're busy, it's hard to prove intent, easy for the guy to lie and say he was holding it for his spouse (or whatever blah blah blah) ... so they likely don't look into it at all.

It's a document that can be replaced, not a shipment of bearer bonds. Heck, the guy can say if it's a PR card, it's the government's property, and if the govt doesn't file charges, there's even doubt about standing.

The best use of this statute (in this case) is to get some lawyer-ish (or an off-duty cop) type to put the fear of god in the twit that if convicted, he'll be deported.* The downside is that it's better to just have no contact with him at all.

*Deportation highly unlikely because not going to be charged as indictable without some kind of serious aggravating circumstances. But he doesnt' have to know that.

Byt yep, it's a crime, don't steal other people's mail.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Except there will be no proof that particular mail is delivered to that address. IRCC in their infinite wisdom send mail using untracked mails and ONLY using Canada Mail. I tried asking them to charge me money and use a reputable courier, but they wont. They are this stupid.

Even if the mailbox is surveilled by a security camera, the mailbox is .... duh... her former husband's. So what kind of proof one can get from it?

There is one last problem, the person concerned here may not be keeping the mails at all but returning them to post office. If that is happening then the mail goes in a blackhole, no where to be seen. It goes to IRCC (eventually) and IRCC does nothing about it. In my case, my PR card was returned by Canada Mail from what I understand but after that no one knows what happened. Did IRCC eat it? Or fed it to their dogs? No one knows. I had to order a replacement card again on same address and that worked. Its just dumb but it is what it is.

Hello everyone. I am dire need of suggestions.

I landed in Canada in January'24 on spousal application. According to IRCC, they had sent my PR card in Feb'24 which i never received.

Moving forward, I got separated from my husband in April 2024 and have been living in a different city. I tried updating the address but every other time i call ircc, the address is the old one where my husband resides. IRCC dispatched my 2nd PR card 3 weeks ago. When i contacted them the date they dispatched the card they confirmed it has been dispatched to the new address. Today I contacted them again to which they told me they have sent it to my husband's address. I am unable to get a confirmation to which address have they dispatched it to. My husband has been trying to sabotage my PR and has been sending in renunciation forms under my name.

Is it possible if my pr card is sent to his address he can cut it in half and send it back to IRCC renouncing it using my name?
Welcome to Canada, our home on native's land and shitty services! You might want to use mail forwarding (https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/mail-forwarding.page). This ensures (I never checked though) that your mails are forwarded to proper address. Also, save yourself some trouble. Order a lost PR Card. It costs money but will allow you to get your PR card faster and update the address.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

It still takes 75 days. Its as shitty as trump's unwashed behinds but it kind of works. Canada Post lost my PR card TWICE! Yup! They are this stupid.

Last edited: