+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR as a line cook/head cook or anything similar (NOC B)?

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
Hello. I graduated from a college in Ontario, and have attended secondary school in Ontario as well. I have been working as a line cook for around 6 months, since I graduated. I have a few questions:

1. From my understanding, once I have 1 full year of experience, I can apply via CEC for a PR?

2. Should I be applying via CEC or federal skilled worker program?

3. Has anyone received PR working as a line cook or something similar?

4. Does my education have to be related to the profession? I studied hospitality and tourism management.

5. Once I complete my 1 year of work, does my employer have to fill out a form to provide as proof when applying for PR? Or do I simply just apply myself?

I have found some answers online for these questions, but I would also like to know others' experiences and know how my chances are. Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
1. Yes.
2. It doesn't matter. Both are the same process but differ in the eligibility criteria. Do you have foreign work experience?
4. Not necessarily.
5. The employer.
Thank you for the reply! I do not have foreign work experience. Does the form the employer fills in have a specific name I can search to find online?

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years]).
Thank you again! How long does the process usually take once completing 1 year of full time work and receiving an answer about getting PR? I'm asking because my post-graduation work permit expires in summer 2019, and if it potentially takes longer, I would like to somehow renew my work visa (if possible).

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
Once you submit your complete PR application, you will be eligible to apply for an open work permit called BOWP and keep working legally in Canada until you get a decision on your application. You just have to submit the PR application and then the open work permit application BEFORE the expiry date of your current work permit.
Thanks again. Last question, if I do not get accepted for PR after my first application, and I do not reapply before my work permit expires, is there any way I can renew it? Or is the only way by applying for a BOWP while applying for a PR?

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Dear all,
How a cook can prove documentation of working experience beside the reference letter from previous employer? I worked as a cook in the past for 2 years but unfortunately the restaurant was sold. Now the business is under different name under different owner. I can contact the previous manager to get a reference letter. Also, can a tax return form (W-2 form in the US) also be a solid documentation of my working experience?

Thank you in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
1. From my understanding, once I have 1 full year of experience, I can apply via CEC for a PR?
Yes. After you have worked 52 weeks of full-time employment in a skilled occupation (or the equivalent in part-time work), you meet the work experience criterium for CEC.

2. Should I be applying via CEC or federal skilled worker program?
Based on the qualifications you enter in your profile, you will be invited to apply to a specific program. If you are eligible for both CEC and FSW, you will be invited to apply for CEC by default. (This is a good thing, because the application tends to be somewhat simpler and you do not need to demonstrate proof of funds).

3. Has anyone received PR working as a line cook or something similar?
Yes. As long as it is not "fast food" your experience would be accepted under NOC 6322 (NOC level B).
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=6&val1=6322&ver=16&val65=line cook

4. Does my education have to be related to the profession? I studied hospitality and tourism management.
No, not unless you work in a regulated occupation (doctor, nurse, etc.)

5. Once I complete my 1 year of work, does my employer have to fill out a form to provide as proof when applying for PR? Or do I simply just apply myself?
Not a form, but your employer would have to write a letter of reference testifying to your work experience. The letter must have specific pieces of information (and be written AFTER you have completed one year, assuming you remain with the same employer).

Requirements are described here -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Dear all,
How a cook can prove documentation of working experience beside the reference letter from previous employer? I worked as a cook in the past for 2 years but unfortunately the restaurant was sold. Now the business is under different name under different owner.

I can contact the previous manager to get a reference letter.
This would work. It should include a brief explanation abt the restaurant being sold.

Also, can a tax return form (W-2 form in the US) also be a solid documentation of my working experience?
Yes, you can provide the W-2 as a supporting document (it is the same thing as the T4 in Canada).

Reactions: Aherman

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Thank you for the quick answer, Jes_ON!

The restaurant was sold because the owners (Husband & wife) got divorced. At that time, the business got affected. I don't know where they are now. I don't have the paycheck stubs, but I always filed my tax, & keeping all the W-2 form.

I have another question: Can I put continuously my working experiences as a cook (Under same NOC) but with 2 different employers?

Thank you again!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for the quick answer, Jes_ON!
I have another question: Can I put continuously my working experiences as a cook (Under same NOC) but with 2 different employers?
I'm not really sure what your question is, can you re-word it and explain "I am asking because..." ?

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
I'm not really sure what your question is, can you re-word it and explain "I am asking because..." ?
Hi Jes_ON,

I apologize my question is not clear. I worked for about 5 years at different restaurants as a cook continuously.
1st Employer: Oct 15th, 2008 until Dec 31st, 2011.
2nd Employer: Jan 3rd, 2012 until Feb 27th, 2014.

The 1st restaurant was owned by couple (husband & wife), & they got divorced. So, they closed their business in 2012 and sold it to other people. The new owner changed the restaurant to different name. Last time I checked, the business is sold again to other people under different name. I only have a contact number the former manager for the reference letter. I filed taxes, & I have W-2 form. Unfortunately, I don't have the pay slips. I deposited my paycheck, so I may have to go through my bank statement for those years I worked if CIC want me to prove my employment history along with the reference letter from the previous manager. When I worked with the 1st employer, they provide lodging and foods, so my salary was below minimum wage. I think for the tax purpose, my 1st employer did that. It's no problem for me because I learned a lot as a cook and they were flexible with my schedule. I was also a part-time student at that time.

The 2nd restaurant is still operating until now. I don't have the pay slips, so again, I may have to get a copy of bank statement for the years I worked for the 2nd employer. But I do have the W-2 form because I filed taxes. My salary at that time was good since I was the head cook. I had lots of experience from the 1st job.

Is that ok to claim my working experience for 4-5 years under the same NOC since I worked for 2 different employers? I do have a gap 3 days when I quit from my 1st job, and then worked for the 2nd job. Thank you in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jes_ON,

I apologize my question is not clear. I worked for about 5 years at different restaurants as a cook continuously.
1st Employer: Oct 15th, 2008 until Dec 31st, 2011.
2nd Employer: Jan 3rd, 2012 until Feb 27th, 2014.

The 1st restaurant was owned by couple (husband & wife), & they got divorced. So, they closed their business in 2012 and sold it to other people. The new owner changed the restaurant to different name. Last time I checked, the business is sold again to other people under different name. I only have a contact number the former manager for the reference letter. I filed taxes, & I have W-2 form. Unfortunately, I don't have the pay slips. I deposited my paycheck, so I may have to go through my bank statement for those years I worked if CIC want me to prove my employment history along with the reference letter from the previous manager. When I worked with the 1st employer, they provide lodging and foods, so my salary was below minimum wage. I think for the tax purpose, my 1st employer did that. It's no problem for me because I learned a lot as a cook and they were flexible with my schedule. I was also a part-time student at that time.

The 2nd restaurant is still operating until now. I don't have the pay slips, so again, I may have to get a copy of bank statement for the years I worked for the 2nd employer. But I do have the W-2 form because I filed taxes. My salary at that time was good since I was the head cook. I had lots of experience from the 1st job.

Is that ok to claim my working experience for 4-5 years under the same NOC since I worked for 2 different employers? I do have a gap 3 days when I quit from my 1st job, and then worked for the 2nd job. Thank you in advance!
1) For the FSW program, the requirement is that you must have (at least) one year of continuous full-time skilled employment. For CRS points, it does not have to be continuous or even the same NOC, you simply add the # of weeks of experience together (52 weeks = 1 year, 104 weeks = 2 years etc). You select the NOC based on the job duties and responsibilities, not number of employers : )

2) Paystubs are not required. I repeat - paystubs are NOT required. They never have been required. They are useful in some circumstances, but most people do not need them. Nor are bank statements showing earnings deposited required. If you have the letters of reference and W-2s, that should be sufficient.

3) For your first employer, if you can get the letter, it should include information that your remuneration included room and board.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

nkaur24

Aug 13, 2020
Hi there, this is Narinder Kaur. I have been working as a full time Prep cook. I worked for three months in red lobster and then I lost my job bcoz of COVID now again I got job in turtle jacks as prep cook so will my experience help me in getting PR as I have worked as a prep cook the most than the line cook. Please tell me I am confused