+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduate worker waiting for PR under QSW track, can I move to Ontario?

mgcarrenard

Oct 31, 2013
Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to thank the Forum as a whole for the countless times it has helped me navigate Canadian immigration processes for the 5 years that I've been living in Canada.

Just some history to have an idea of where I'm coming from:

I arrived in Quebec as a foreign student. I finished a 3 year Bachelor's program and then obtained a Post-Graduation work permit after I finished all my classes. After finishing my studies and obtaining my CSQ, I applied for Permanent Residence in Canada under the Quebec Skilled Worker category. I sent my application to CIC in February of 2013 and have since then sent in my medical exam results as well. I have been working full time for the past year and have had two different jobs during that period (One as a dispatcher for a security company, and my current job as an data analyst for an insurance company)
Recently my S.O. (Canadian citizen) has been interested in applyting to Toronto, Ontario for a new job.

Here is my question:
Am I able to move to Toronto with her, even though my application for PR under the QSW program is still under way? If I'm really serious about moving to Ontario, should I withdraw my application under the QSW program and make another application under the FSW program?
I have two years left on my Post-Graduation work permit. If ever I restarted the whole application process for Ontario, would I still have the time to receive my PR? Would I have to renew my work permit? CAN I renew my work permit?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help shed some light on this!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Relocating to Ontario could very well put your QSW application in jeopardy and result in a refusal since it will be clear you have no intention of living in Quebec.

Have you reviewed the criteria for the Ontario provincial nominee program yet? The requirements are different than those of Quebec and just because you qualified to apply for QSW doesn't mean you will qualify to apply in Ontario (or through the Federal program). Based on the information you have provided so far, you would only qualify to apply with a permanent time job offer in Canada. Assuming your Canadian SO and you are in a serious relationship and are either married or common law (have lived together for at least one full year) - it would likely be far more feasible for your SO to sponsor you for PR through the family sponsorship program.

With so many unknowns, it's difficult to say if obtaining a new work permit will be possible. Depends which path you chose...

mgcarrenard

Oct 31, 2013
Thank you for your response scylla.
Unfortunately, though we have been together now for several years, my partner and I have not lived together during that period and thus the family sponsorship immigration track is not feasible in the near future.

Regarding a permanent full-time job offer, I spoke to my current employer and I have received confirmation that if I chose to do so, I could simply keep my same job and relocate to my company's Toronto office, so there would be no problem for me to provide a letter of employment from my job.
If the Provincial Nominee prgram is not feasible, do you think the Canadian experience class would be a better idea? I seem to be eligible for Immigration under that track based on the CIC website's self-assesment tool.
In the case of my Post Graduation Work Permit running out while I wait for my new PR under the Canadian Experience class, I read about something called a "Bridging" open work permit that allows temporary foreign workers whose work permits are going to expire to continue working in Canada while they wait for the final decision by CIC for their PR application.

As you've probably noticed, not many people would consider withdrawing an application and applying in a different category, but this is a great opportunity for my partner but we both prioritize sticking together before anything else.

Her getting the job and me being able to relocate would be the ideal situation.

That being said, any thoughts. If I really wanted to move, maybe the Experience class would be the ticket?

eurmione

Jun 12, 2013
manitoba
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
end of Feb 2013 for CSQ and April 9, 2013 for Federal
Nomination.....
CSQ received on March 13, 2013
AOR Received.
June 5, 2013
IELTS Request
wave
Med's Request
june 12, 2013
Med's Done....
june 14, 2013. Med received on ECAS: August 19, 2013
Interview........
RPRF on Sept 3, 2013. ECAS status change to in process on Sept 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 18, 2013, Decision Made Nov 19, 2013 sent PP same day
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 1, 2013
LANDED..........
Dec 17, 2013 (same day of PP return)
mgcarrenard said:
Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to thank the Forum as a whole for the countless times it has helped me navigate Canadian immigration processes for the 5 years that I've been living in Canada.

Just some history to have an idea of where I'm coming from:

I arrived in Quebec as a foreign student. I finished a 3 year Bachelor's program and then obtained a Post-Graduation work permit after I finished all my classes. After finishing my studies and obtaining my CSQ, I applied for Permanent Residence in Canada under the Quebec Skilled Worker category. I sent my application to CIC in February of 2013 and have since then sent in my medical exam results as well. I have been working full time for the past year and have had two different jobs during that period (One as a dispatcher for a security company, and my current job as an data analyst for an insurance company)
Recently my S.O. (Canadian citizen) has been interested in applyting to Toronto, Ontario for a new job.

Here is my question:
Am I able to move to Toronto with her, even though my application for PR under the QSW program is still under way? If I'm really serious about moving to Ontario, should I withdraw my application under the QSW program and make another application under the FSW program?
I have two years left on my Post-Graduation work permit. If ever I restarted the whole application process for Ontario, would I still have the time to receive my PR? Would I have to renew my work permit? CAN I renew my work permit?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help shed some light on this!
I am in a similar situation like you. I got nominated under PEQ, I applied at federal stage already. I moved to another province for jobs. I might be different from you is I have relative in Montreal and my husband is from Montreal. In my gsmc notes, they stated that it is clearly I am indenting to reside in Quebec which I do. We have to go back eventually since both family are in Montreal.

In the end, I applied csq and pr while I was in Quebec. I moved to another province while pr is in process and it is still fine. I know other ppl move out of the canada while their pr is still in process and they still get their pr, and left right after their pr. Anyways, long story short, on Quebec government website, it states that there is no restriction on where you are during the process.

As for renew your work permit, you have to have a File in process for the province you are planning to stay in other to get the bridge program work permit for that province only. So, right now you can only do it for Quebec as you have file in process with Quebec (you won't be able to work anywhere else but Quebec).

Hope it helps.