+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit, Bridging Open Work Permit and Implied Status

Conch69

Nov 3, 2012
Hi everyone,

My PGWP expires in August, and I'm in the process of getting an LMO, a certified job offer and everything else. The only problem is that the PGWP might expire before I get all the different verifications.

My question: will sending an application for a bridging work permit before a PGWP expires give me implied status? I know that implied status only comes during extensions or reapplications for the same kind of permit, but the CIC website is unclear as to if a PGWP and bridging open work permit fall under that umbrella.

Would I be better off applying for an extension of a few months to give myself more breathing room? Is that something the government would smile or frown on?

Thanks for any help!

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
Conch69 said:
Hi everyone,

My PGWP expires in August, and I'm in the process of getting an LMO, a certified job offer and everything else. The only problem is that the PGWP might expire before I get all the different verifications.

My question: will sending an application for a bridging work permit before a PGWP expires give me implied status? I know that implied status only comes during extensions or reapplications for the same kind of permit, but the CIC website is unclear as to if a PGWP and bridging open work permit fall under that umbrella.

Would I be better off applying for an extension of a few months to give myself more breathing room? Is that something the government would smile or frown on?

Thanks for any help!
Have you already applied to CEC?

- if answer= yes and you have received your AOR with the file number, then no need of LMO apply to BOWP within 4 months of the end of the current valid status.

-If answer= no then you need to have a valid job offer, to apply to LMO, get accepted, to be able to extend your current permit

hope that helps! I have never been to that situation however I read lot of threads... senior peolple can help as well

aka024

Jan 22, 2013
I am in somewhat similar situation.

My current work permit is expiring on 31st May. I have received my AOR and my application is currently in process(Med Done,RPRF Paid,RCMP Done..no news from last 2 month).

I am in flux whether to apply for BOWP or to file for work extension. Because if in any case my BOWP get rejected then my status in canada would be invalid(as current processing time is 40 days and i only have 35 odd days before my current work permit expires).

Can i apply for BOWP and in parallel apply for company sponsored work permit, so incase my BOWP get rejected i would still be under implied status till my work permit application is processed.

Any suggestions

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
I just want to know what kind of support document should I included in my BOWP. I applied for CEC, and get my file number already.

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
yohoo said:
I just want to know what kind of support document should I included in my BOWP. I applied for CEC, and get my file number already.
include ur work permit and ur Acknowledgement of receipt letter. provide a written explanation of which kind of work permit ur applying(BOWP) as per the operational bulletin and provide reason why ur sending supporting documents. I am off to work and wont be able to respond further. maybe other members can assist u. All the best

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yohoo said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

Bridging Open WP – Eligibility Parameters

To be eligible for a bridging open WP, the following parameters must be met:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
ujbaby said:
include ur work permit and ur Acknowledgement of receipt letter. provide a written explanation of which kind of work permit ur applying(BOWP) as per the operational bulletin and provide reason why ur sending supporting documents. I am off to work and wont be able to respond further. maybe other members can assist u. All the best
thank you for the help.

I have a job right now. Now I have to file the application for an open WP, so should I included a job offer letter with wages and working condition? And in the IMM 5710 form, should I write my current job information?

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
honeysingh said:

They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
thanks for the help. I saw some people file the BOWP application online. But after I research on the CIC web, I cant find any link that guide me to how to do it. Can you tell How I start to file the application, like where should I go look for the form online? thank you very much

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yohoo said:
thanks for the help. I saw some people file the BOWP application online. But after I research on the CIC web, I cant find any link that guide me to how to do it. Can you tell How I start to file the application, like where should I go look for the form online? thank you very much
There is no separate application for the BOWP. You have to apply to extend your stay as a worker, there are paper and online options -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
aka024 said:
I am in somewhat similar situation.

My current work permit is expiring on 31st May. I have received my AOR and my application is currently in process(Med Done,RPRF Paid,RCMP Done..no news from last 2 month).

I am in flux whether to apply for BOWP or to file for work extension. Because if in any case my BOWP get rejected then my status in canada would be invalid(as current processing time is 40 days and i only have 35 odd days before my current work permit expires).

Can i apply for BOWP and in parallel apply for company sponsored work permit, so incase my BOWP get rejected i would still be under implied status till my work permit application is processed.

Any suggestions
what made u think that ur BOWP might be rejected????

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
honeysingh said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

This doesn't answer his questions, does it?????

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
yohoo said:
thank you for the help.

I have a job right now. Now I have to file the application for an open WP, so should I included a job offer letter with wages and working condition? And in the IMM 5710 form, should I write my current job information?
be careful of how u fill up the form. u don't have to fill up the prospective employer information. just write N/A on that section otherwise the officer will think ur applying for closed work permit and will refuse ur application. u also don't have to include any job offer letter if ur applying for BOWP. Those are for people applying for a different work permit e.g, closed work permit with LMO, however, u have to give details of ur current employment for the past ten years, hope this helps!!!