+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Academic Suspension

Mikaile

Jul 17, 2012
Hello fellow international students.

It seems my problems tend to perpetuate.

I am a student at the University of Toronto, St George campus.
If I don't do well enough on my final exams coming up on Thursday and Friday, I will face academic suspension (since I am on academic probation).

My question to all of you is, what happens when I am suspended? Will I be forcibly sent home? (Bangladesh)
What will it take to stay here and do something in the one academic year that I am suspended?
I seriously do not want to go back and suffer again..

Please reply with full answers and as much detail as you can load it with, please, I am in dire need of help.

Thanks,
Mikaile

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
depends on the institution, you SHOULD talk to academic advisor ASAP.

AFAIK, if you are on academic suspension, you cannot study for 1-2 semesters? or maybe it was 6 months. not sure.

Mikaile

Jul 17, 2012
Thank you for such a prompt reply my friend.

Well I have been speaking to my adviser every week til last week.
We were working on my target marks to NOT get suspended.
What we didn't talk about were the consequences of suspension.

As for the suspension itself, I was told students are suspended for one calendar year/academic year..? Either way, UofT works on 2 semesters, so that's September to December, and January to April.

I'm am studying my brains off for my exams, but I want to know of the consequences.
Would I really be sent home since I am going to be resuming my program after a year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are suspended and no longer a student, then U of T should report your change of status to CIC which will then result in your student visa being canceled (and you being asked to leave). If this happens and you want to remain in Canada, then you'll have to successfully apply for a new visa that allows you to stay. I suppose you could try to change your status to visitor - although I'm not sure what the chances are this will be approved. I supposed you could also try to get accepted by another school for next year and get a new study permit for this. Again, not sure what the chances of approval will be - and you might have to apply from your home country rather than Canada.

The best thing you can do is do well in your exams this week.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Mikaile said:
Thank you for that response,

Will CIC not consider that I will be resuming my program in 2015?
No

Think of this from their point of view.... you are being SUSPENDED from school which means that you are not a good enough student. Why should they continue to give you a study permit when they have proof that you are not able to sucessfully complete your course requirements?

The fact that you are not in school for 1 year will also bring up the possibility of working illegally in the country. If you are not going to school (and this is not a scheduled break as far as CIC goes) per the conditions of your SP you are not allowed to work-period. So you are not going to be going to be in school and not legally allowed to work; so what are you going to do all day, everyday?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What txboyscount said.

CIC won't be thinking about whether you will be restarting the program in a year or not (for all they know, you won't).

All they will care about is that you are no longer a student at the university.

emmapac

Apr 26, 2017
Hi Mikaile,

my name is Emma and i just got the same situation as your, and just need to ask you what happened after your academic suspension,
and any Advise will be appreciated

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
If you really want to stay, get acceptance from any othe college (it's easier - on the spot) and ask your student centre to withdraw and get yourself transferred to new DLI. Go to MyCIC and inform them you changed the DLI.

You Don not need to apply for new study permit. You would be good to go. Ensure you keep your academic performance optimal in new program.

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
If you really want to stay, get acceptance from any othe college (it's easier - on the spot) and ask your student centre to withdraw and get yourself transferred to new DLI. Go to MyCIC and inform them you changed the DLI.

You Don not need to apply for new study permit. You would be good to go. Ensure you keep your academic performance optimal in new program.
hello Mikaile,
Were you able to stay in Canada? What other institution should i apply to since my university grades are so bad? Should i just apply with my high school grades?
i know it has been a while since this forum was created but i need all the help i could get. i CANNOT go back to my country.

Ps: i am not suspended yet, but i know i will because even if i do very good in my finals, i will fail most of my classes.

Please help me. Thank you

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018

how can op withdraw when the deadlines are already over?