+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificates for Citizenship

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Completed my oath, and my citizenship application is closed and approved.

I entered Canada on a TRV and stayed for 1 month, had my PR visa stamped in Canada, crossed the US border to activate my PR. I only made short trips outside Canada afterwards. I did not submit an additional PCC from my country of origin; the PCC with my original PR application was enough.

The guidelines state that a PCC is not needed if you entered Canada as a PR directly from one's home country, which I technically didn't, but I knew common sense would prevail. I hope my example helps others in a similar situation.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
All, in any case, erring on the side of caution wouldn't harm? Just apply for PCC is what I would do rather than to risk the process timeline because of misinterpretation. No?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
All, in any case, erring on the side of caution wouldn't harm? Just apply for PCC is what I would do rather than to risk the process timeline because of misinterpretation. No?
Not submitting a PCC isn't considered misrepresentation; The application is considered incomplete and returned to you. However, if you conceal information about your stay in any country, then that is misrepresentation.

In @bellaluna 's case, she was right in not submitting the PCC because her "Country of origin" was US and not her "country of citizenship". Country of Origin is NOT the same as Country of Citizenship. AFAIK, if IRCC wanted the PCC from your country of citizenship, then they would use the term "Country of Citizenship". Country of Origin is the country where you were "residing" or "resident of" (not just "visiting") when you submitted your PR application. From her previous post, her country of origin is USA (may be she was working / studying there) at the time when PR was processed, she must have provided FBI PCC for her PR application and she landed here as a PR from USA.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
@rajkamalmohanram

My bad, I refer to my home country as my “country of origin” sometimes because I don’t like calling it “home” because I always felt alienated from it. :) I have no previous ties to the US, only short visits, including that day trip to activate my PR. Incidentally, the CBP officer told me about the flagpoling option, where I don’t have to be issued an I-94, but I still requested for the I-94. I was transparent about it all in my physical presence calculator and travel history.

In the end, it’s only IRCC’s opinion that matters, and I’m glad they agreed with my interpretation. :) I did calculate the risks, and I arrived at the same conclusion as you did: at the very worst, they’d return my application as incomplete, and I would apply again after a few months, where I safely do not have to submit any foreign PCC after staying in Canada for 3.5 years.

All of this because applying for my home country’s PCC abroad is an inefficient, bureaucratic, BS mess. :)

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Not submitting a PCC isn't considered misrepresentation; The application is considered incomplete and returned to you. However, if you conceal information about your stay in any country, then that is misrepresentation.

In @bellaluna 's case, she was right in not submitting the PCC because her "Country of origin" was US and not her "country of citizenship". Country of Origin is NOT the same as Country of Citizenship. AFAIK, if IRCC wanted the PCC from your country of citizenship, then they would use the term "Country of Citizenship". Country of Origin is the country where you were "residing" or "resident of" (not just "visiting") when you submitted your PR application. From her previous post, her country of origin is USA (may be she was working / studying there) at the time when PR was processed, she must have provided FBI PCC for her PR application and she landed here as a PR from USA.
This is similar to my case. I landed in Canada and activated my PR in Dec 2017. I left and returned to Russia where I worked and where I made my Canadian PR application. Hence, Russia would be my country of origin? Russia is not my birth country nor country of citizenship.

I continued to stay in Russia for another 3 months before leaving to my home country. Does that mean when I apply for my citizenship, I will not need to provide the Russian PCC?

I returned to my home country and stayed for more than 183 days before permanently relocating to Canada. Does this mean I need to provide my home country's PCC even though I have provided the PCC in my PR application previously? I did visit my home country for a month in 2019 after I have already permanently relocated to Canada (i.e after obtaining the PCC for my PR application previously).

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
This is similar to my case. I landed in Canada and activated my PR in Dec 2017. I left and returned to Russia where I worked and where I made my Canadian PR application. Hence, Russia would be my country of origin? Russia is not my birth country nor country of citizenship.

I continued to stay in Russia for another 3 months before leaving to my home country. Does that mean when I apply for my citizenship, I will not need to provide the Russian PCC?

I returned to my home country and stayed for more than 183 days before permanently relocating to Canada. Does this mean I need to provide my home country's PCC even though I have provided the PCC in my PR application previously? I did visit my home country for a month in 2019 after I have already permanently relocated to Canada (i.e after obtaining the PCC for my PR application previously).
This is kind of complicated. Did you provide PCC for Russia at the time of your PR application? What was your total period of continuous stay in Russia in the past 4 years?

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
This is kind of complicated. Did you provide PCC for Russia at the time of your PR application? What was your total period of continuous stay in Russia in the past 4 years?
@rajkamalmohanram

In the past 4 years (say, going back to July 2017), I'd have stayed for 7 months before leaving Russia permanently.

Yes, I provided my Russian PCC when I made the PR application (also some time in 2017). After I provided my PCC, I made a landing Dec 2017, but returned to Russia to stay on for another two months and left Russia permanently in Feb 2018.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram

In the past 4 years (say, going back to July 2017), I'd have stayed for 7 months before leaving Russia permanently.

Yes, I provided my Russian PCC when I made the PR application (also some time in 2017). After I provided my PCC, I made a landing Dec 2017, but returned to Russia to stay on for another two months and left Russia permanently in Feb 2018.
Ok.

As long as you were "living" or "residing" in Russia immediately before establishing Permanent Residence in Canada AND you've provided a police certificate from Russia for your PR application, then IMO, you do not have to submit it again.

This is only my opinion.

tahaa21

Oct 4, 2017
Hello to All,

Requiring some clarification

Citizenship Eligibility Dates: 5Yrs ( 15-Jul-2017 to 15-Jul-2022) Application date will be 16-Jul-2022.

My question is regarding the requirement of PCC for period of 4 yrs ( 15-Jul-2018 to 15-Jul-2022)

- I landed in Canada as a PR (First landing) from Kuwait on 02-Nov-2018 and stayed for 15 days & returned back to Kuwait.
- Left Kuwait permanently on 15-06-2019 ( stayed more that 200 days after getting PR in Kuwait)
- Stayed in India for 15 days and shifted permanently to Canada in Jul 2019 (stayed 15 days in India)

The question is do I need to get PCC from Kuwait since I stayed more than 200 days after returning from Canada. (Kuwait PCC was submitted with PR application)

Note in the citizenship form is
"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) years ,you are not required to provide a police certificate"

If my country of origin is Kuwait then based on the above statement I don't need to get PCC but I want to be sure .

Appreciate if anyone can help/clarify.

Regards.

bjsp

Apr 17, 2012
Hello to All,

dRequiring some clarification

Citizenship Eligibility Dates: 5Yrs ( 15-Jul-2017 to 15-Jul-2022) Application date will be 16-Jul-2022.

My question is regarding the requirement of PCC for period of 4 yrs ( 15-Jul-2018 to 15-Jul-2022)

- I landed in Canada as a PR (First landing) from Kuwait on 02-Nov-2018 and stayed for 15 days & returned back to Kuwait.
- Left Kuwait permanently on 15-06-2019 ( stayed more that 200 days after getting PR in Kuwait)
- Stayed in India for 15 days and shifted permanently to Canada in Jul 2019 (stayed 15 days in India)

The question is do I need to get PCC from Kuwait since I stayed more than 200 days after returning from Canada. (Kuwait PCC was submitted with PR application)

Note in the citizenship form is
"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) years ,you are not required to provide a police certificate"

If my country of origin is Kuwait then based on the above statement I don't need to get PCC but I want to be sure .

Appreciate if anyone can help/clarify.

Regards.
Did you submit the application? I am in similar situation except it is UAE. I stayed there for almost 2 years after getting PR. Did you submit the application already as I am waiting and stuck on this sitation

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
if you stay in your home country or country of origin for 180+ days AFTER getting a PR, you need to get a PCC done from your country of origin..